Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto pilot doesn’t detect deer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No computer or person can correctly adjust to what a deer standing along side the road is precisely going to do when your vehicle approaches.

This is why thousands of them are hit every year. They are so unpredictable. Even if you slam on the brakes for every one of them, you have a good chance of being run into by the driver behind you on his cell phone.

Until vehicles are fully automated and integrated, accidents will continue to occure.

The list of things that AutoPilot is expected to detect: cars, trucks. The list of things that AutoPilot is NOT expected to detect: every other physical thing in the universe.

There, that should clear it up.:p
So, no pedestrians, bicycles and motorcycles? Some room for improvement I think...

(We need a poll for those who have hit deer and those who haven't.)

Reactions: israndy
OP, it seems possible that AEB simply didn't yet care about the deer. Motor Trend says that at 60mph, Model 3 needs just shy of 40 yards to stop. Bambi's just being Bambi for another 60 yards, in your scenario, before Model 3 may have decided to stop before getting any of Bambi on her.

Elon was not so confident on the moose back in 2016. From a quarterly conference call “Yeah it’s a good question. Actually, it should work for something like a moose – because it is quite a big mass, but it may not work for say a small deer. A small deer probably would not trigger braking, but a moose I think would. I’m not 100% sure of that, but I think it would trigger on a moose.”

But, we haven't heard anything of that since then.

To my knowledge the only company who has an AEB system that can detect a moose is a Volvo with the large animal detection update.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
I am really surprised that the Tesla camera suite doesn't have an IR camera. I wonder how much improvement there will be in pedestrian and animal detection (and will they EVER avoid potholes?).

The current AP2 rides right up to bikers in the bike line, giving them no extra space when passing. Since the display on the Model 3 is incomplete I don't even know if it sees them. I know it doesn't see potholes, or perhaps it aims for them.

-Randy

Cruising down the highway at 60mph, just about dusk with auto pilot on, when I notice two deer run out in front of me about a hundred yards away. I instinctively tapped the brake just as the third one ran out. AP never set an alarm. If I hadn’t hit the brake, I might have whacked the third one.

Warnings and AEB are disabled if your foot is on the brake, and for that matter on the throttle.

With AP/TACC off and driver in control of steering and accelerator, would the same automatic stops have been made?

This question haunts me. I have seen NO ONE making videos about this on YouTube. I really wanna know what the car will do when things get too close. I have had many opportunities to be merging with another car and it seems that the car will just let the other person hit me, I am always over-riding the controls to prevent it.

Someone needs to take that "trying to run over my friend" video and expand upon it so we can see how defensive the car actually is. Do the "The More You Know" guys read this board? Would be interesting to discover that the AEB doesn't work under certain conditions. I just trust that it always works. Probably dumb

-Randy

• Informative
Reactions: Kentrock1 and DR61
Cruising down the highway at 60mph, just about dusk with auto pilot on, when I notice two deer run out in front of me about a hundred yards away. I instinctively tapped the brake just as the third one ran out. AP never set an alarm. If I hadn’t hit the brake, I might have whacked the third one.
I joined the deer hitting club. Driving through forest at 60mph. I saw the first one run in front of me and i braked. Then the second one came out and plowed right into my Model S! OUCH!

Picking up on this now because it's almost exactly the same thing that happened to me the other night. Going 40-45 when 3 deer ran out and I nearly hit the 3rd. Not sure how TACC or AEB didn't see it. It was a LOT closer than another car you may be coming up too close on.

Maybe because deer are flesh and blood, not metal?