Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Pilot doesn't seem quite ready for prime time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it's most useful and slower and especially stop and go highway driving. it also works well on very straight highways. that said, my highway drives have too many turns and it's constantly getting too close to other cars. i kind of wish they would roll out the silky smooth update to a wider audience, you know, like everyone? i'm guessing it's not as silky smooth as they would have liked.

I disagree with the 10 year prediction.
I've seen an unstaged video of a Nissan Leaf prototype driving across London on normal roads. It had a huge on board computer and lidar, but the software was doing a pretty good job. There's no way Nissan is still 10 years away, and I bet Tesla is ahead of them.
Once the problem is solved, it is solved permanently and cheaply for all future cars.
10 years is an incredibly long time in tech. The very first iPhone was release 10 years and a week ago.

Where do you people come up with theses off the wall conclusion.

What exactly do you see to point to tesla being agead in sdc?

All the facts points to them being behind almost all automaker and tech company.

The 3 top leaders in full sdc tech is google waymo, gm cruise, nissan. The leader in full highway autonomy is Audi & Nissan.

Audi is releasing the first L3 highway car limited to 35mph in acouple days.

Nissan will release full highway autonomy in 2018.

Google waymo will remove drivers and launch their mobility service in 2018.

Gm cruise will increase their fleets to over 1,000s of cars and launch their mobility service in 2018.

However tesla on the other hand is struggling to match mobileye AP1 car and only have a platoon of hype and failed promises behind it.

Alternative facts are not facts.

• Disagree
Reactions: oktane and CHG-ON
I disagree with the original poster. My AP2 works great.
It is essentially flawless on interstates. I made a 365 mile drive without one error. It stays to the center of the lane and is smooth both accelerating and decelerating. It changes lanes perfectly.
I even used it on two lane rural roads (that are well marked), and again it performs flawlessly. If I could only do something about the hands on the steering wheel nag.

Reactions: EinSV
It will always be in beta, or feature removed until it's nothing like what was promised.

Hands free driving from onramp to offramp? sure.... When it's out of beta.

People can use that argument all they want, "what was promised". at the end of the day, reality is that auto pilot is what it is. you dont buy something or make an investment because a sales person promised you one thing or another. you do your own research and make your own judgement.

Reactions: tesiono
People can use that argument all they want, "what was promised". at the end of the day, reality is that auto pilot is what it is. you dont buy something or make an investment because a sales person promised you one thing or another. you do your own research and make your own judgement.

Absolute rubbish. Most of us bought our cars while there was no software and only promises were being made. Not just for autopilot, but for pretty much everything

Sounds like you're calling every Tesla owner a sucker.

When I engage it initially it pulls to the left slightly right up to the edge of the lane.

Mine does the same, except that it will go to the right when initially engaged and then it will come back to the center. Not always, but usually.​

it's most useful and slower and especially stop and go highway driving.

Agreed. Stop-and-go traffic is where it performs the best. Except I would prefer that it not leave so much of a gap between my car and the lead car when excelerating from a stop. This gives others the opportunity to jump in front - which usually happens.​

you do your own research and make your own judgement.

Many of us did our research, but until you have the opportunity to drive with AP for several hours, you can't get a true sense of how it performs. Even then, our judgements and opinions will vary considerably. On my test drives and using AP1 in loaners, I was excited. Now after 6K miles with AP2, like the OP, I'm a bit disappointed.​

Absolute rubbish. Most of us bought our cars while there was no software and only promises were being made. Not just for autopilot, but for pretty much everything

that happens all the time with products. this isnt something new to the tech world. the fact is, you were willing to pay for something that was not fully developed yet. that is a choice you made.

Many of us did our research, but until you have the opportunity to drive with AP for several hours, you can't get a true sense of how it performs. Even then, our judgements and opinions will vary considerably. On my test drives and using AP1 in loaners, I was excited. Now after 6K miles with AP2, like the OP, I'm a bit disappointed.​

you can ask Tesla for an extended test drive, i had an AP1 car for about a day. i personally think AP is OK for stop/go and freeways. other then that it looks like an accident waiting to happen.

All the facts points to them being behind almost all automaker and tech company.

The 3 top leaders in full sdc tech is google waymo, gm cruise, nissan. The leader in full highway autonomy is Audi & Nissan.

Gm cruise will increase their fleets to over 1,000s of cars and launch their mobility service in 2018.

However tesla on the other hand is struggling to match mobileye AP1 car and only have a platoon of hype and failed promises behind it.

AP2 is already better than anything on the market. I take other makers' release predictions with a grain of salt.
And alternative facts are facts, that's tautological.
Lies and BS aren't alternative facts, they are just lies and BS.

Reactions: CHG-ON and EinSV
I disagree with the 10 year prediction.
I've seen an unstaged video of a Nissan Leaf prototype driving across London on normal roads. It had a huge on board computer and lidar, but the software was doing a pretty good job. There's no way Nissan is still 10 years away, and I bet Tesla is ahead of them.
Once the problem is solved, it is solved permanently and cheaply for all future cars.
10 years is an incredibly long time in tech. The very first iPhone was release 10 years and a week ago.

I get what you are saying. But I think the social acceptance of this is going to be a big hurdle, at least in the US. I also honestly wonder how much AI will be needed to deal the notoriously unpredictable humans. We do an awful lot of stupid things on the road. The AI will need to be able predict and react pretty darn fast in order to be safe. And let's not forget about the moral implications of the SW making the decision to run somebody over in order to save the owner of the vehicle, or the inverse. We have a lot of very difficult issues to sort out.

If we had true V2V connectivity, I would be more optimistic. But the infrastructure to pull that off is way more than 10 years off.

I do think we will get there. But humans and computers on the road driving together? Seems like a messy affair to me. On paper, yes, in the real world...Yikes!

Its ready for prime time because the majority of people use it. Numerous youtube channels and tesla personalities showcasing its abilities. Most people on the forums here success as well. I wish that everyone could have the same experience but alas roads are different elsewhere.

That being said i drove to Toronto and back last weekend (1200+ miles one way) on AP most of the time as i drove 25 hours nonstop and not once did i get even close to death or damage.

• Informative
Reactions: Gibson and EinSV

YOU PEOPLE? Really?

And get your facts right. Tesla is universally recognized as way ahead of everybody else. GM cruise is nowhere and not even released. Nissan is still in testing mode. And I don't care about future promises. I care about what has been delivered today.

Reactions: dhrivnak and EinSV
I have concerns with the AP on my 2017 Model S. Just completed a 200 mile interstate trip today and used the AP about half the time. On a gentle interstate curve it drifted to the very edge of my lane causing the car in that lane to blow his horn. Later a car in front of me pulled into my lane and the AP did not catch it. I had to take control. Later it lost the lane completely and auto disconnected. Each time I was carefully monitoring the AP so that no other drivers were at risk.

So my question to other Tesla owners - does the AP in your car meet your expectations?

If i had to be completely honest from my tesla ownership until now. after all the reading on this forum and tesla owners I have seen. Majority of tesla owners dont know anything about cars or technology. its sad to say but majority are just a bunch of rich kids that want to buy the hottest trend yet they dont understand anything about it and thus are on here complaining.

Except AP1. Yes. Still.

Exactly. Anyone who suggests that AP2 is equivalent to AP1 is lying to you or has consumed far too much Kool Aid or both.

I've got 50,000 miles driving AP1 and 10,000 miles driving AP2 from coast to coast and back again with a variety of road types and conditions.

TACC remains the best feature available. And even that is remarkably poor with AP2 compared to AP1. As just one simple example, it will engage and then disengage as you approach stopped traffic - not fun.

If you've never experienced AP, then AP2 is nifty, if decidedly unrefined. At least until the brakes are applied arbitrarily and forcefully in traffic - which happens every day since the last regression, er, update.

If you've experienced AP1 across a variety of conditions and roads, then you know how much of a disappointment AP2 is by comparison.

And it's not close.

At this stage (less than a year in w AP2) that would ordinarily be fine. The *larger* concern is that AP2 may never equal AP1 - and that's a substantial problem. A solvable problem with AP3, perhaps - but that's a different discussion.

Those of us that bought into AP2 will probably be offered FSD refunds. The question becomes "Is that enough?" given the regression that is EAP under AP2 compared to AP1. Difficult to justify paying more to get less when shown, for example, a video purporting more, and when told by management that parity will be achieved over half a year ago.

If the expectations hadn't been set and used as a basis for purchase, then no harm, no foul. Regrettably, that's not what happened for a significant number of now not happy Tesla owners.

And no amount of spin by Tesla fanboys will change that reality. But they will no doubt be compelled to try.