Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto pilot feels like drunk driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a area where AP2 is not enabled, but from what you all have been saying, I think I will become quite schizophrenic from engaging AP, constantly have to worry if the software will be making a mistake. Might as well take full control myself,

Just want to share my experience, here (Upstate New York) AP2 TACC and AS function well. If you know what to expect from it (i.e., given the right environment TACC and AS stands up and performs with 80 to 90% accuracy and delivers on its promise) you will be less likely to be disappointed. The other promised functions, not so much, if at all. Hopefully they'll all come soon.

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
Good news...Bad news.

Today I attempted to use Autopilot on secondary roads near my home. Bad result. When the right white line would veer off, the car would follow it towards the curve. Easy to correct and it was a poor experience.

Tonight I was caugh up in some freeway traffic going downtown San Diego. The cruise and auto pilot were fantastic. Did not tough the controls even once (except for keeping my hands on the wheel when prompted). Kept a safe distance behind car in front, sped up and slowed down appropriately, and stayed in the center of my lane with great confidence. This was a fantastic experience and gives me faith that Tesla is doing right by us.

I understand this is only a Beta, and that Tesla will be rolling out improvements and new features as they become fully developed, however for now I believe they are making steady progress.

Do you usually need to pay 10k for a beta software? Is it common to use beta software in safety critical real time application?

Don't use it in safety critical application ..... why on earth would you do that when there are warning after warning ⚠️ of not to do this .

The people who keep running into things while on AP etc because they are using as it's not intended are going to scare regulators and slow the adoption when the software IS actually ready ....

Relying on humanity to RTFM is just not feasible however and pleasing everyone is literally impossible. Significantly more tesla owners are very happy to be part of this progress . A select few are folks who probably should trade in for a corvette , BMW sedan or something that's all complete and proven - won't have bugs and won't change from the day you buy it till the day you get rid of it .

Repeat after me the Mantra of the Disciple: AP fails if and only if it is being misused.

And for the unbelievers? You will be the first with your backs against the wall. Or like go buy a different car, snarf snarf guffaw.

1l08uj.jpg

I just wish I could have 7.1 (version just before 2.28.19) back. That was the peak of AP performance for my car. It was as good as I expect it can be with hardware 1.0. It's been sharply downhill with a few upticks since then. I see that a lot of people experience improvement in specific locations as the car "learns." My car must have ADD, because it struggles with the exact same obstacles every day. Granted, these are challenges that the car had no issues with at all in early 7.1 space. It's definitely not performing as well as it can right now (my car), but to me it's still much better than not having AP at all. I have gotten very spoiled in that respect. It's always interesting to see these discussions that state in absolutes whether AP is safe or not. There is definitely some variability over time in how AP is functioning. The real variable though is the driver. If you put a naive, unskilled driver in the car and tell them it will "drive itself," they are nearly 100% guaranteed to have a wreck. If you put a reasonably prudent, tech savvy driver in the seat and tell them that AP has its limitations, they'll be fine and will likely really appreciate the convenience. There are Tesla drivers that are new to the brand and likely don't spend any time on forums. They may be unfamiliar with the development saga of AP and only know what a determined sales person told them. I think that's one of the biggest problems.

I just wish I could have 7.1 (version just before 2.28.19) back. That was the peak of AP performance for my car. It was as good as I expect it can be with hardware 1.0. It's been sharply downhill with a few upticks since then.
Exactly! I would still be on 7.1 if the Service Center hadn't accidentally installed 8.0 when my car was in for service, even though they had promised me they wouldn't.