Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Pilot & FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ALWAYS keep my hand on the steering wheel, but apparently am not applying enough pressure on it. The system has punished me 3x for it by stopping AutoPilot for about an hour - and sending the message that I did not have my hands on the steering wheel. Ugh. Any suggestions until Tesla can figure out a better way to know?

Been thinking about adding a weight to the steering wheel where it won't interfere with my hand. Anyone have any experience that? How much weight is needed?

I have also had some odd times when using Auto Pilot with no cars close to me (100-200 yards away front & back) and used the turn signal to change lanes - but the system seemed to get confused and ignored the turn signal. Any comments on that?

Thanks,

Rich

I ALWAYS keep my hand on the steering wheel, but apparently am not applying enough pressure on it. The system has punished me 3x for it by stopping AutoPilot for about an hour - and sending the message that I did not have my hands on the steering wheel. Ugh. Any suggestions until Tesla can figure out a better way to know?

Been thinking about adding a weight to the steering wheel where it won't interfere with my hand. Anyone have any experience that? How much weight is needed?

I have also had some odd times when using Auto Pilot with no cars close to me (100-200 yards away front & back) and used the turn signal to change lanes - but the system seemed to get confused and ignored the turn signal. Any comments on that?
Thanks,
Rich
It requires rotational force. Just grabbing it is not enough. I Just barely hang on to it with one hand, but pull down slightly. It is much easier with the yoke, but the same application works for the round steering wheel. My hand is loose enough that if the car makes a maneuver, the yoke/wheel will pull itself out of my hand. Do not use two hands, force from two hands cancels it out, to zero rotational force. Do not tie a weight on to the wheel.