Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-Pilot - I give up, it's downright lethal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if you set your TACC to engage at 'current speed' in the options (which I have and is what I'm used to) - does it still accelerate to 10mph minimum?
Not sure if it's documented, mine is set to engage at current speed, and seems to do:

• short tap down - engage at current speed
  • long tap down - engage at speed limit
So, as the set TACC is the same gesture as putting into drive, I can see a circumstance where you could inadvertently put it into drive a second time and actually set TACC to speed limit. And I can't see any way of disabling this. It's quite a convenient gesture on the motorway, not so great when you're pulling away from rest.

Highways aren't a think in the UK

If you look at the latest dual carriage ways, i.e. the Aberdeen bypass it's built to motor way standards, no tractors coming out of a field. If you then look at the Aberdeen to Dundee dual carriage way built in the 70's & 80's it's got all manner of risks, traffic crossing that don't exist in more modern roads.

So not just as simple as saying motor ways good/dual carriage ways bad.

And anyways, my BMW can happily do 100 miles from Inverness to Aberdeen on mostly single A roads without a problem on ACC.

It's highly disingenuous to claim that a tesla is somehow smarter or going to be smarter, or going to be self driving and so on when it can't simply match the performance of it's "dumb" competitors which have been doing this stuff for several years.

Like I said previously my wife went from "can't wait to get a tesla" to "This thing beeps all the time, slams me in the seat belt as passenger and is scary" in just 2 weeks. She won't drive it now...

Even in fully manual mode this car has issues with traffic in it's own lane, the classic is when you have a traffic island with a car parked legally just beyond, the car craps it every time.

Hopefully things will improve but in the meantime is it such a bad thing that UK buyers are fully aware that this car has panic attacks in normal driving that no other car (as far as I am aware) has?
I'm aware of the UK vs US road systems, I am from the UK now living in US, but although drive in UK when I am there, is not a Tesla...

I find phantom braking on TACC as regular and eventful as on AP. Unfortunately there's no option to have a dumb cruise control that just holds your speed. Or have I missed that setting?

The other car in our house is an ICE Corsa and I use that dumb cruise more than I use TACC. As someone else commented it makes your more attentive as you are poised, ready to jump on the fast pedal in case the car throws a wobbly at a passing shadow. I find myself rarely using AP or TACC, it's just too stressful!
No, there is no dumb cruise control option, despite many of us repeatedly asking for it. After 3 years of phantom braking and over 60 firmware updates, this is a problem without a fix, much like for me, AutoPark. Supposedly my current firmware 2021.4.18.11 no longer uses my radar sensor; if true, that’s no longer in the equation as a possible cause. Hate TACC, just hate it. Will only use on limited access freeways, and never with our dogs or human passengers.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and Stan930
Cannot confirm that. Has never happened to me.

Besides, if I saw that the car steers wrong, I would interfere. It moves very slowly, walking speed at most.
As much fun as it is for us to vicariously live your utopian Tesla life, remember that we have to suffer many RHD quirks of Tesla's software and this is the UK section of the forums.

That's strange, because it works well. A bit slow, but functional.

Why does it not work for you? What happens when you try?
Model S, 2019.

It has wedged the car nicely between rows of cars several times and just given up half way through parking.

Also misreads where the parking bay is and nearly reversed into the side of my house.

Haven't curbed wheels thankfully, but very likely it would if I let it complete without me intervening.

I haven't tried again recently and I don't mind parking manually.

I am more confident letting it do its thing now than I used to be - but only as a "test" - you have to drive so slowly and the right distance out of the parked cars for it to recognise spaces that I daren't risk the road rage that seems to be the norm now! You can't indicate before the thing has recognised a space because it often doesn't so by the time it's gone "P" and you indicate there's someone up your chuff preventing you reversing anyway.
Mine seems to see parking spaces every time there's a space in the shrubbery, not so often between cars!

In my ICE cars I used to have my right foot hover over the brake pedal when in cruise control, so that I could slow down or stop the car if necessary. In my Model 3 I have my right foot hover over the accelerator pedal so that I can keep going and alleviate any instances of phantom braking. Same thing, different pedal, but necessary to drive safely and stay in control.

I’ve had only 1 instance of violent emergency phantom braking and it was a scary experience. Plenty of gentler phantom braking when overtaking or near motorway exits. Now I am very conscious of it and keep my right foot primed and ready for action when in TACC or autopilot. So it’s not quite as relaxing an experience as Tesla probably envisaged.

That's strange, because it works well. A bit slow, but functional.

Why does it not work for you? What happens when you try?
In my case, I’ve never seen the magic “P” appear to begin parking except twice in 3 years. Both of those times I was stopped in traffic awaiting a traffic light change, not trying to park. I’ve not once seen the “P” attempting to actually park. And yes, I’ve read and complied with the manual‘s instructions and guidance from many forum members who have successfully used it. I’ve also had another owner for whom AutoPark at least occasionally works drive my car and try to AutoPark in places where her vehicle has no issue. No joy.

I am more confident letting it do its thing now than I used to be - but only as a "test" - you have to drive so slowly and the right distance out of the parked cars for it to recognise spaces that I daren't risk the road rage that seems to be the norm now! You can't indicate before the thing has recognised a space because it often doesn't so by the time it's gone "P" and you indicate there's someone up your chuff preventing you reversing anyway.
Mine seems to see parking spaces every time there's a space in the shrubbery, not so often between cars!
Ha, Ha!
Exactly my experience.
It likes trying to persuade me to mount the kerb and park on top of a tree, but doesn't actually like a nice normal parking place.

Reactions: Wol747
the process took about 3 x as long as I needed to park.
Yes. Missed that off my list! Kind of embarrassing looking like a totally inept driver while the car faffs around trying to park. One place that it should help is at superchargers. The bays are usually clear and even my robot vacuum cleaner can dock with its charger pretty reliably!

I too rarely get the autopark P displayed when I'm actually trying to park.

Reactions: SalisburySam
I have to say the Tesla's autopilot is nothing special and from what I read here the autopark likewise.
Neither are rocket science, I had autopark in the C63 and when I could be bothered I used it, the process took about 3 x as long as I needed to park.

I think Tesla needs to up their game, significantly.
I would disagree with you about the autopilot - driving in the real world is probably significantly harder than rocket science: rocket science deals with orbital physics which, though extraordinarily complex can be calculated to any number of significant digits.
I suspect that Tesla is only now beginning to realise just how difficult it is to cope with the dozens of often human-caused incidents that we humans deal with but hardly notice every day.