Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto pilot in stop and go freeway traffic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
huh, i've been using it for a few months only, and other than it being a little late to start back up (it will leave a bigger gap than i would) in stop and go, i thought it was pretty good overall. My last real test was a construction zone going from 5 lanes to 1, I did have to use the accelerator to close the gap, and i would feel the pedal just disappear on me as it would start to brake. I mean how smooth can it be in stop and go?

huh, i've been using it for a few months only, and other than it being a little late to start back up (it will leave a bigger gap than i would) in stop and go, i thought it was pretty good overall. My last real test was a construction zone going from 5 lanes to 1, I did have to use the accelerator to close the gap, and i would feel the pedal just disappear on me as it would start to brake. I mean how smooth can it be in stop and go?

For example, yesterday I was stuck in traffic and maybe it’s because I have it set to only 1 car length, but car stopped too hard and I had a notebook on the passenger seat and it ended up on the floor. Another example today, my wife was in the car and each time the car had to do a complete stop in traffic, the momentum of the stop made us jerk a bit. I took the car off autopilot after that just so she can enjoy a smoother ride in traffic.

If you tap the pedal to move closer or go faster autopilot reacts by braking really hard when you release.

It needs to be fixed if you ask me but it's been the like that for years if that's what your doing anyway.

Maybe it’s the setting, I have it at 1 car length for braking. Stop and go traffic braking on freeway is definitely not smooth. I will change the setting to 4 or 5 car lengths and see how this does. I am pretty satisfied with most of the other autopilot/fsd capabilities.

Last edited:
Maybe it’s the setting, I have it at 1 car length for braking. Stop and go traffic braking on freeway is definitely not smooth. I will change the setting to 4 or 5 car lengths and see how this does. I am pretty satisfied with most of the other autopilot/fsd capabilities.

Been using AP in daily commute, with hours spent in stop and go traffic. I find that the abrupt stopping can be relative to the way the car in front of you speeds/stops and your set Max speed.

In stop and go traffic - I set my following distance to 1 (max speed at 40 mph), then adjust it as the traffic clears...like following distance of 2-3 (40-60 mph), 3-4 (60-70), and so on.

As my rule when using AP/NoAP, I avoid following jerky drivers and avoid being in front of tailgaters.

Reactions: mark95476
I have it set to only 1 car length
Yes, setting it to 1 will increase the abruptness.
I tend to use 4, but will sometimes go to 3 in heavy traffic.
Yes, it is not as aggressive starting back up as you (or I) would be.
The AI is geared towards safety, not driving in Boston.
as in the quote from the Love Story:
You're driving like a lunatic...
This is Boston everyone drives like a lunatic.

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec and KerryOH
Did you adjust your follow distance? I use 4 or 5.
I second that. Also, if I know I'm going to be in slow traffic for a while, I turn my set speed down to 30-45 mph. That way the car doesn't try to get up to 65 every time there's a brief clearing, only to slam on the brakes when it catches up. The trick is to remember to crank it back up once the traffic finally clears.

I second that. Also, if I know I'm going to be in slow traffic for a while, I turn my set speed down to 30-45 mph. That way the car doesn't try to get up to 65 every time there's a brief clearing, only to slam on the brakes when it catches up. The trick is to remember to crank it back up once the traffic finally clears.

Lol I’m definitely guilty of having it at 1 car length and leaving it at 65 mph!

Thanks all. Will make the proper adjustments.

Reactions: FlyF4
Had the car for about 6 months now and not sure if I just didn’t notice this before, but the car stops too abruptly in stop and go traffic. I’m always looking into the rear view mirror to make sure I do not get rear ended. Definitely not a smooth ride and can be scary for passengers. I’m starting to lose confidence in using AP in traffic

I think stop and go traffic is the perfect time to use TACC and/or Auto Steer. I use the following distance of "4", and it's fine. The only abrupt stopping behavior is when I'm on a road where the speed limit is 50 or 55, and I come to a light. It rolls in so fast to the stopped traffic; I cringe at times, praying that someone from the other lane doesn't decide to change lanes. As a matter of fact, it's so aggressive coming to the intersection that I usually turn off autopilot and just let regen slow me down more gradually. I'm also thinking about the cars behind me as well, and I try to not force anyone to slam on their brakes.

I took delivery a couple of weeks ago and today was my first commute in it. I absolutely loved using AP in stop and go traffic. I have used Lexus’, Genesis’, and Volvo’s adaptive cruise control+ lane keeping assistance in the same route before and wow, they are a joke compared to Tesla’s AP. Now I am seriously considering FSD.

I’ve tried to find the area to change the following distance but no luck so far. It’s not where I expected it to be nor where an internet search suggested. Can someone give me specific instructions where to find the area to make the changes?