Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto pilot in stop and go freeway traffic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve tried to find the area to change the following distance but no luck so far. It’s not where I expected it to be nor where an internet search suggested. Can someone give me specific instructions where to find the area to make the changes?

Use the right thumb wheel on the steering wheel. The same on you use to move your cruise control set speed up and down. Rather than the thumb wheel, though, you toggle the whole button to the right or left to increase/decrease following distance. Easy peasy. I adjust it frequently for changing traffic conditions.

I have the same issue. It works amazing on open highway, going from state to state. If you use it on a freeway with stop lights or any type of traffic where it slows down I have to disengage it because its scary how long it takes before it breaks, like I'm going to drive right into someone.

Use the right thumb wheel on the steering wheel. The same on you use to move your cruise control set speed up and down. Rather than the thumb wheel, though, you toggle the whole button to the right or left to increase/decrease following distance. Easy peasy. I adjust it frequently for changing traffic conditions.

I just today realized the thumb wheels move left or right. When I tried to move them before I was pressing them down. (It’s so hard to get good help these days, especially if your doing things yourself!). The next time I go out I’ll give it a try.

Thank you

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I can't believe how long it takes before the first RTFM post in a thread like this now. What's this place coming to?

I tried that approach. The manual sucks. It’s very difficult to find what you need to read. Not to mention when I found the description of what to do.... it didn’t work. The right scroll wheel depresses when trying to move it to the side and activates the microphone and doesn’t display the follow settings. It took multiple attempts to get the follow display to pop up.