TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Auto Pilot Lane Changing after update

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Nikkin, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Nikkin

Nikkin Member

I've noticed that my car has stopped changing lanes when signaled to on Auto-pilot after my update. Not sure if the update has made the criteria for safe lane changes more strict but I've had more than 4 car lengths behind, and 2 in front on the lane I've wanted to merge into and the car still wouldn't go.

Just end up looking like an idiot with his blinker going on the highway.

Anyone else experiencing this?

2. d21mike

d21mike Member

Not for me. I assume you are talking about 2018.21.9. It is a good idea to include that when starting a thread. There are multiple threads on this firmware and I have seen multiple youtube videos about auto lane change that show it is working fine with this firmware.

3. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

I've read that some people found the settings for AP reset after 21.9. So the first step in addressing your problem should probably to go to the settings and make sure the auto lane change is enabled...

• Like x 1
  4. toolioiep

toolioiep Member

This - same thing happened to me and it was the result of the setting being toggled go off.

• Like x 1
  5. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Same here

6. What_Was_That?

On a coast to coast trip. Auto lane change has worked fine until today. Got tired of having to yank wheel to get to the lane so finally just disabled auto assist. Running 2018.21.9. Two week old P100D. All settings are on for auto lane change and steer. Have 2015 S with AP1. Have not expeienced this before. Should I submit a bug report if this happens again?

7. CameronB

CameronB Member

In addition to checking that your auto-lane change setting is still set (as mentioned earlier), if that's not it, I'd also look at this possibility:

For whatever reason (and there may be several) you may be in a lane that AP doesn't "think" it is allowed to do a lane change from. Best way to see if this is the case is look at the IC and see if you see an adjacent lane outline - or not. If not, then it won't auto lane change. See graphic for what I'm talking about.

I've seen this happen on a multi-lane freeway where I would think it should be possible to move to either a left or a right lane. But sometimes it will only allow one of these lane changes (i.e. there's a indication of AP "seeing" the lane to the left but not the right. Or vise-versa). Other times, it won't allow either change.

ap-wont-change-lanes.jpg AP-can-lane-change.jpg

8. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

There's a big difference between AP1 and AP2 currently. AP1 pretty much allows auto-lane-change on any road where multiple lanes are detected.

AP2 only permits auto lane change on restricted access highways, such as US interstates. If you're driving on a country highway, state route, etc, it might not allow it.

I really wish they'd lift that restriction already!

9. What_Was_That?

Thanks. It was on 287 in Texas. I was on that highway from Denton to Childress and sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn’t. The screen showed the lane lines and the highway was well marked. Guess we will wait patiently for 2.5 to catch up to 1!

10. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Encouraging news: Recently in some parts of Europe, Tesla rolled out new ADAS maps (in the cloud) that suddenly enabled AP2 auto lane change and many more types of roads.

Here in the US though, that has yet to happen. However, based off the last leak, we saw fancier map tiles being developed for the USA, labeled "localizer_optimal". We're theorizing that they're some sort of HD maps that might enable other features, but so far they haven't seen the light of day yet.

Indeed, back to waiting patiently :)

• Informative x 1