Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Pilot Leaning Left

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my experience with other vehicles, Auto Pilot is magical in every way and maintains direct center in even the most confusing road conditions... however, for some reason my Model 3's AP leans left-ward daytime, night time, clear or cloudy skies with well marked lanes... It even ping-pongs pretty aggressively in optimal environments. it happens pretty often (conservatively 60% of the time) but doesn't happen ~all~ the time. The visualization on the car's display makes it clear that the car is aware its left-leaning. Moreover, it happens on roads where it previously drove as expected. Tesla's virtual and service team can't find any issues after several communication attempts. I've linked a video, check it out. Had anyone else experienced this? **I'd like to stress that while the sample footage is during the night, I have tons more footage of it happening during the day**

Well.. to be clear it has gone well past lane marking. I will try to upload footage of that as well, I just haven't yet recorded the screen when that happens. The problem is that other Teslas maintain direct center and mine constantly drives uncomfortable close to the left lane. A fellow owner was freaked out by it's tendency because it's never happened to him.

What firmware version are you on? This was corrected with the latest updates. We are currently on 2020.12.5

Also looks like it’s pulling to the left, are you able to keep it straight without AP?

Fred

Currently on 2020.12.5; I've been consistent with updates since it's delivery in December. Service did an alignment since they thought it might help, but it didn't. Outside of AP, It doesn't steer left or anything at all. Sometimes it's perfectly in the center, but if its going to act up, it immediately pulls left when AP is activates, sometimes quite aggressively.

Here is a clearer image how it might look on the display; taken in broad daylight
Screen Shot 2020-04-21 at 11.34.55 PM.png

Here is a clearer image how it might look on the display; taken in broad daylightView attachment 534696

Mine did that for a while.

1. I had low tire pressure on both left tires. I filled them up.

2. Another time....It was driving ( right most lane ) on a road with construction to the right. ( I'm not supposed to use AP in road construction anyway....so I can't fault the car for that ).

for some reason...its gone now.

That's interesting. Mine is always dead center, which is often not ideal, in my opinion. I prefer to have extra space between my car and cars next to me. When I'm not on autopilot and driving in the right lane of a multi-lane highway, I like to drive closer to the right edge to stay away from wide vehicles next to me. The autopilot's insistence on driving exactly in the middle of the lane makes me uncomfortable sometimes, and usually hits most of the potholes that way. I wish there was an adjustable offset on the lane centering.

Ok. I can see what you're experiencing in that video. I had a similar issue that started after I got the HW3 upgrade. In my case it would pull to the right - sometimes little jerks, sometimes big enough jerks that it would cross the lane lines. Not all the time, but enough that I stopped using autopilot. Maybe not quite the same thing as you're experiencing, but maybe close enough that my experience can help. So I set up a service appointment in the app, and tried to describe it as best I could. The response was that "we need time stamps so we can diagnose further" so I collected and provided those. So they kept the appointment, resetting it to being just an alignment and test drive. They did that, and apparently were able to experience the problem during the test drive, as the kept the car for another day. The following day they re-replaced the HW3 device, saying that I must have gotten one with a bad gyro chipset. After that, another alignment, and test drive, and it's been fine since then.