Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

auto-pilot malfunction (accelerated behind another car causing crash)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyday that you're driving S90D you're providing Tesla with information. They aren't just logging information while AP is driving, but also when you're driving. They're using their customer to provide data to them. This is extremely useful to Tesla because it allows Tesla to enhance their technology.

I think it's only fair for them to provide logs back to us when we request them. Or they should have a system in place to get them. I have no issues getting the logs for my DJI Phantom 4 because DJI has a way to download them. The Tesla has no way to download logs to a USB drive.
If I recall correctly, the people with an OBD tool can get detailed logs of the car.
Chassis CAN Logging To ASCII Text Plus Graphing
Of course it'll be raw logs and not human readable (although people are working on tools to put it into human readable format). I googled the DJI flight data and it seems it is also raw data that has to be parsed with a tool.

However, the other alternative of Tesla providing logs would require Tesla use of human resources that are best put elsewhere (I believe they are currently done by the service centers with help from a Tesla engineer at HQ and service centers/engineers have better things to do with their time). If it has to be used in a lawsuit, it can simply be subpoenaed as done with all automotive black boxes after accidents.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, the people with an OBD tool can get detailed logs of the car.
Chassis CAN Logging To ASCII Text Plus Graphing
Of course it'll be raw logs and not human readable (although people are working on tools to put it into human readable format).

Yeah, that's my understanding as well, but at this time I don't know how complete that information is. It does have the Amp (how much throttle), but I don't know if it also says whether AP is controlling it or the user. My favorite thread on the topic seemed to die after the site redesign so I haven't been keeping up. I was considering on using my Particle.IO Electron for use as a CAN logger. But, I have that as a bike logger/tracker.

Of course it's usually not my car that I want logs from. My car doesn't seem to do anything all that interesting that isn't easily explainable. The DJI forums are kinda fun in that absolutely the first thing that happens when someone reports some problem is an analysis of the logs. It's fascinating because it can start off with lots of user blaming, then suddenly they realize the drone just did something stupid. Sometimes it's the other way around.

If I was really anal I'd have CAN logging plus front and rear cameras. I'll definitely have this once we have autonomous driving.

Last edited:
You are 100% wrong. You, along with Max, do not seem to understand the difference between cause, effect, actors and those acted upon.

Assuming the OPs version of events are correct, he did not cause the collision. Autopilot caused the collision. There are many instances where you are not the CAUSE of an accident, but you are the one responsible or at fault.

You don't understand causation. What you're basically saying is that if I put a rock on an accelerator and send a car down the road and it runs over a person I didn't cause the accident, the rock did, but I'm the one responsible or at fault... because a rock driving the car is no different than AP driving the car... and you said this...

The vehicle crashed while autopilot was in control. Ergo, Autopilot is the cause of the crash.

Wrong. Autopilot is a cause of the crash but not the cause of the crash. See the case-law below on this point.

Now, if I get in a Tesla and engage autopilot and don't intervene before it hits someone the exact same reasoning applies because AP is not autonomous driving and comes with the warning that you must always be prepared to take over. Your labeling of cause, effect, and those acted upon is semantics and confusing when in fact it's very simple test:

The basic test for establishing causation is the "but-for" test in which the defendant will be liable only if the claimant’s damage would not have occurred "but for" his negligence. Alternatively, the defendant will not be liable if the damage would, or could on the balance of probabilities, have occurred anyway, regardless of his or her negligence. To understand this, a distinction has to be made between cause and a precondition for the events.

But for me engaging auto pilot and not taking over control in time an accident was caused; or, but for me putting the rock on the accelerator the car drove down the street and ran over a person.

Here's some case-law from the link above that helps to understand how the test is applied:

In The Empire Jamaica (1955) 1 AER 452, the owners sent their ship to sea without properly licensed officers. The pilot fell asleep, and a collision occurred. Though the pilot was negligent at the time, he was generally competent. Thus the question for the courts was: were the owners liable for the collision because they sent their ship to sea without properly licensed officers? Or was the factual precondition superseded by the question as to the competence of the pilot? There is no question that sending the ship to sea is "a cause" of the collision. The legal question is whether it is "the cause". This is a question that the courts treat as objective, addressed by evidence and argument. Hart and Honoré (1985) describe the process for establishing legal causation as constructing a parallel series of events (counterfactual situation), and comment: "the parallel series is constructed by asking what the course of events would have been had the defendant acted lawfully." Thus, the owners were not liable. Although they sent the ship to sea without licensed officers (what actually transpired) rather than with licensed officers (the lawful course), the cause of collision was failing to navigate a safe passage. As to the pilot, his lack of licence did not bear on his general competence. The significant factor was the pilot's negligence at the time, and the pilot's lack of license made no difference there. Had the pilot been licensed, he would have been no less likely to sleep. The license would not have awoken him. The owners were, therefore, exonerated on grounds that whether or not the pilot held a license made no difference to the real cause, which was not the pilot's general level of competence, but rather his negligence at the time.

Now, if I get in a Tesla and engage autopilot and don't intervene before it hits someone the exact same reasoning applies because AP is not autonomous driving and comes with the warning that you must always be prepared to take over.

This entire thing rest on whether AP was performing normally where there is enough time to intervene. If the OP's claim that the AP accelerated beyond the means of being able to intervene then the fault rests entirely on Tesla.

At this time we don't have the available data to determine fault. The OP could be mistaken (no offense to the OP, but that's the more likely scenario) or the car could have had a fault that resulted in the abnormal level of acceleration.

This isn't a normal case like the previous cases of the AP related accident where the driver failed to take over (the only other cases I'm aware of). This an unusual case of the car playing the $100 trick where it accelerates so fast you can't grab the $100.

Tesla Model S $100 bill challenge on Ludicrous mode [Video]

Last edited:
You don't understand causation. What you're basically saying is that if I put a rock on an accelerator and send a car down the road and it runs over a person I didn't cause the accident, the rock did, but I'm the one responsible or at fault... because a rock driving the car is no different than AP driving the car... and you said this...

Wrong. Autopilot is a cause of the crash but not the cause of the crash. See the case-law below on this point.

Now, if I get in a Tesla and engage autopilot and don't intervene before it hits someone the exact same reasoning applies because AP is not autonomous driving and comes with the warning that you must always be prepared to take over. Your labeling of cause, effect, and those acted upon is semantics and confusing when in fact it's very simple test:

The basic test for establishing causation is the "but-for" test in which the defendant will be liable only if the claimant’s damage would not have occurred "but for" his negligence. Alternatively, the defendant will not be liable if the damage would, or could on the balance of probabilities, have occurred anyway, regardless of his or her negligence. To understand this, a distinction has to be made between cause and a precondition for the events.

But for me engaging auto pilot and not taking over control in time an accident was caused; or, but for me putting the rock on the accelerator the car drove down the street and ran over a person.

Here's some case-law from the link above that helps to understand how the test is applied:

The argument is not about legal semantics. I completely agree with your legal assessment of the issue. I take umbrage at the fact that people seem to conflate "cause" and "responsibility." They are two very different things. In the case of Max and Eye Surgeon, we have two people who think that because someone is responsible for the operation of a vehicle, they are somehow the cause of the error. We are talking about primary cause. Primary cause is Autopilot, as it is in control of the vehicle. Secondary cause is driver failure to act.

Using similar examples you just employed, that would be like saying it was the driver that was the cause of the crash when then steering column broke and he was unable to steer the vehicle. Or the brake lines failed and he was unable to stop. The CAUSE of the crash is the failed brake lines or the broken steering column. Whether or not the operator is responsible is immaterial within the context of the statements made.

If Eye Surgeon and Max want to assign blame, that's perfectly fine, but don't assign primary causation to the improper party. If AP failed or if AP was working as intended, it still caused the crash. In one case, it caused the crash because of a bug or error, in the other case it caused the crash because it was programmed in a manner such that it would not avoid the problem in question. The operator is certainly liable in the second case for failure to intervene, but his lack of action was not the primary cause (which is what we are discussing), but the crash is the secondary effect of his failure to act.

Just to be clear of what we are speaking, these statements are false and these statements are what I was addressing:

"...but you caused the collision, not the Model S." This is a false statement. If Autopilot was directing the vehicle, it caused the crash. The driver is certainly liable but is not the cause.

"Autopilot can never cause an accident. never." This is also a false statement. AP can and has caused an accident. Is the driver liable? Sure, I would presume so, but the driver is not the cause.

If you swapped autopilot for cruise control, and you feel like you can still make the same argument for example "cruise control caused the accident" then it might make sense. But in many people's book, cruise control can't "cause" an accident since the driver is still ultimately in control of the vehicle, same with autopilot.

The cause of a collision with autopilot on would be because the driver didn't pay enough attention. By your standard, any accident with autopilot on, it would be the "cause," which doesn't make any sense.

Of course there are exceptional conditions, for example if the system malfunctioned and ignored driver input or did something that didn't allow any chance for driver to react. That latter case is what the OP was arguing happened.

Are you talking about old-school CC or TACC? Old school CC, I would agree with you, because it's a dumb system that requires constant monitoring and input any time conditions change. TACC is a smart system that takes away the input requirement for changing conditions in so far as you do not have to manually adjust speed. Since TACC can both brake AND accelerate, as opposed to maintain a preset speed, it absolutely can be the cause. An example would be goes from braking to acceleration for no apparent reason. Even more likely would be hard braking for no reason or because of a sensor ghost. I can absolutely see a situation where you are in heavy traffic with TACC on, you get a sensor ghost and it slams on the brakes, causing a rear end collision before you'd have time to react. Are you going to say that was caused by the driver or by a problem with TACC?

Are you talking about old-school CC or TACC? Old school CC, I would agree with you, because it's a dumb system that requires constant monitoring and input any time conditions change. TACC is a smart system that takes away the input requirement for changing conditions in so far as you do not have to manually adjust speed. Since TACC can both brake AND accelerate, as opposed to maintain a preset speed, it absolutely can be the cause. An example would be goes from braking to acceleration for no apparent reason. Even more likely would be hard braking for no reason or because of a sensor ghost. I can absolutely see a situation where you are in heavy traffic with TACC on, you get a sensor ghost and it slams on the brakes, causing a rear end collision before you'd have time to react. Are you going to say that was caused by the driver or by a problem with TACC?
See Canuck's post about the "but-for" test. Just because autopilot (or TACC) was on, doesn't mean it was the cause of the crash by default. That seems to be what you are arguing and people are disagreeing with.

If the system malfunctioned (just like how old-school CC can malfunction) then it can be the cause, but if it didn't, then it wasn't the cause.

As for delineating the differences:
CC: can accelerate or decelerate to a set speed (using application or non-application of throttle and sometimes gearing)
ACC: can accelerate or decelerate to a set speed or in response to traffic (using throttle/gearing/brakes)
AP: TACC with lane keeping (throttle/gearing/brakes/steering)

All of the above requires constant monitoring and the user to react to condition changes outside its parameters.

Let's say you crashed into a stationary vehicle because you weren't paying attention to the road and didn't brake in time. In all cases (unassisted, CC, ACC, or AP) your inattention was the cause of the crash. With the but-for test: you would have crashed into the car regardless of the existence and activation states of the various possible systems.

Then let's say you crashed into a car that was going at your set speed (no change in traffic conditions) because the system glitched and suddenly decided to accelerate (such that you couldn't have braked in time). Then the system (regardless of if it was "old school CC", ACC, or AP) was the cause of the crash.

See the difference?

And as others pointed out, CC/ACC glitching in such a way is pretty much unheard of (a quick google couldn't find any proven cases of this happening, only talk about a debunked myth of someone successfully suing an RV manufacturer after a crash from leaving the RV unattended while CC was active). It would take more than just a driver's claim to believe this was what happened.

Last edited:
You, along with Max, do not seem to understand the difference between cause, effect, actors and those acted upon.
There is a different between not understanding and not agreeing with you or using the wrong terminology.

My point was articulated clearly, several pages back, you corrected my verbiage to what you think is correct, no need to drag me back into this again and again and again.

So here's what MY Tesla does, very consistently:

1. Follow car at the distance setting I select
2. When a car passes on the left, I signal to move to the left
3. AS SOON AS MY TESLA "SEES" THE CAR TO THE LEFT (as indicated by it appearing on the dashboard display), it begins moving to the left and accelerating, EVEN beyond the speed of the car in left lane that is a car length or two ahead of where I'm moving.

I have had to touch the brake to disengage TACC and stop the acceleration. Would I have hit the car I was moving over behind? Unknown, since I've never let it complete this acceleration. I can say that it was disconcerting the first couple of times, but I know it will happen and now am ready to adjust when needed.

As far as the "extreme" acceleration - that's very subjective. What may seem normal or even relatively light acceleration under normal circumstances could certainly seem extreme in a unexpected, surprise event. It's all in the eyes of the people involved.

These kinds of situations are why dashcams are made!

See Canuck's post about the "but-for" test. Just because autopilot (or TACC) was on, doesn't mean it was the cause of the crash by default. That seems to be what you are arguing and people are disagreeing with.

If the system malfunctioned (just like how old-school CC can malfunction) then it can be the cause, but if it didn't, then it wasn't the cause.

As for delineating the differences:
CC: can accelerate or decelerate to a set speed (using application or non-application of throttle and sometimes gearing)
ACC: can accelerate or decelerate to a set speed or in response to traffic (using throttle/gearing/brakes)
AP: TACC with lane keeping (throttle/gearing/brakes/steering)

All of the above requires constant monitoring and the user to react to condition changes outside its parameters.

Let's say you crashed into a stationary vehicle because you weren't paying attention to the road and didn't brake in time. In all cases (unassisted, CC, ACC, or AP) your inattention was the cause of the crash. With the but-for test: you would have crashed into the car regardless of the existence and activation states of the various possible systems.

Then let's say you crashed into a car that was going at your set speed (no change in traffic conditions) because the system glitched and suddenly decided to accelerate (such that you couldn't have braked in time). Then the system (regardless of if it was "old school CC", ACC, or AP) was the cause of the crash.

See the difference?

And as others pointed out, CC/ACC glitching in such a way is pretty much unheard of (a quick google couldn't find any proven cases of this happening, only talk about a debunked myth of someone successfully suing an RV manufacturer after a crash from leaving the RV unattended while CC was active). It would take more than just a driver's claim to believe this was what happened.

That's the problem, though, you keep trying to bring a legal standard into a non-legal standard discussion. A legal standard is there to assign responsibility. The posts that I was referencing were not speaking to a legal standard, they were speaking to a technical standard, and those statements were patently incorrect. I 100% agree with you that the responsibility is still on the driver and that they are ultimately responsible.

However, this thread is about how AP (supposedly) malfunctioned, as (as I posted in my initial post on the subject) stated, the crash was caused by AP, not by the user. Others are trying to assign the cause to the user and that is simply not the case.

That said, let me address your statement that "your inattention " was the cause of the crash. That is a secondary cause, or contributing factor if you will. Not a primary cause. CC, ACC or AP accelerating into the back of a vehicle is the cause of the crash. CC, ACC or AP braking hard and causing a rear end collision is the CAUSE of a crash. This is a simple concept and it boggles my mind as to why so many people have a hard time grasping it.

You can shuffle off the cause however many steps up the chain you want, but that is specious at best. If you start moving up the "cause" chain, where do you stop? Like I've already posted, you can move the "cause" up to the user, but why not move it up to the programmers of the system, or to the chip manufacturers or to the raw material suppliers? Hell, lets just move it on up the chain to the big bang - because we can do that if we don't mind moving the cause and effect from the primary cause to any secondary cause we want.

To use the but-for test you are quoting:

He would not have caused the crashed, but for the AP accelerating.
AP would not have caused the crashed, but for the programmers making a mistake.
The programmers would not have caused the crash, but for the chip manufacturers making those chips!
The chip manufacturers would not have caused the crash but for those raw material suppliers!
The raw material suppliers would not have caused the crash but for the comets crashing into the earth!
The comets would not have caused the crash but for gravity coalescing the atoms into a comet!
Etc...

I think we would all agree each of those are silly in the extreme. When you are assigning responsibility in a court, you need to use the but-for to find the primary person RESPONSIBLE. That does not find the cause as stated here in this thread (and others).

I suppose we are having a bit of a communication breakdown because we aren't separating a failure mode from an "as designed" mode as well, so let's break that down:

As posted in OP and assuming events happened as described (I'm not commenting on the likelihood or validity of the OP statement) something unexpected and improper happened. Because something failed to perform as designed (in this case, the car accelerates into the back of another vehicle), the cause is most definitely the AP (or TACC), not the user.

In the case of old school CC, where the user just lets the car accelerate into the back of another car, then the cause is the user - the user knew ahead of time that the CC would not brake for a car in front of it and knew ahead of time that the CC would not slow down.

Why are these two different, when the result is the same? Because it has to do with expectations and design features. TACC is designed to slow down for traffic and the expectation is that it will do so. Its entire purpose (The TA in TACC) is to prevent the car from accelerating into the back of another car. Is the user responsible for monitoring that functionality? Yes, absolutely. But they are not the CAUSE of the crash in the instances of TACC, whereas they are in the instance of CC.

Assign blame all you want and I will agree with you, but please don't assign cause to the wrong parties. Although, I find it pretty annoying that the holier-than-thou parties have to always show up in any thread that indicates there might be a problem and continually spout off about how "It's only beta."

the holier-than-thou parties
lol

duty_calls.png

Some people have requested additional evidence. My only intention here is to find others with similar experiences of auto-pilot aggressively accelerating - especially in the context of another car cutting over / some other obstacle appearing in front of the vehicle. If you've ever gotten a letter from Tesla about auto-pilot, I'm assuming you recognize this.

This thread has interesting arguments on both sides.

The photo you posted of Tesla's letter only seems to be of the last paragraph. Would you mind posting a photo of the previous paragraphs? Thanks.

That's the problem, though, you keep trying to bring a legal standard into a non-legal standard discussion. A legal standard is there to assign responsibility. The posts that I was referencing were not speaking to a legal standard, they were speaking to a technical standard, and those statements were patently incorrect. I 100% agree with you that the responsibility is still on the driver and that they are ultimately responsible.

However, this thread is about how AP (supposedly) malfunctioned, as (as I posted in my initial post on the subject) stated, the crash was caused by AP, not by the user. Others are trying to assign the cause to the user and that is simply not the case.

That said, let me address your statement that "your inattention " was the cause of the crash. That is a secondary cause, or contributing factor if you will. Not a primary cause. CC, ACC or AP accelerating into the back of a vehicle is the cause of the crash. CC, ACC or AP braking hard and causing a rear end collision is the CAUSE of a crash. This is a simple concept and it boggles my mind as to why so many people have a hard time grasping it.
No, the primary cause in the scenario I gave is definitely because the driver was not paying attention. Let's do it even more extreme and say you fell asleep at the wheel and you crashed into a car that you would have had plenty of time to brake for in all circumstances were you awake. If CC, ACC, or AP was active at the time, are you still going to say the primary cause was CC, ACC, or AP rather than you falling asleep?

This is not about the legal responsibility, but rather what makes sense when saying what was the primary cause of an accident.

To clarify, yes, if the system glitched out such that the user couldn't possibly have braked in time, then the system caused the accident. But what I am saying is that if the system didn't glitch out and the user had plenty of time to brake, then the system did not cause the accident.

I have a feeling however, you will not agree with me, so if this is the case, then I will end with let's agree to disagree (as a few people have done already here).