Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto pilot malfunction ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crazy thing about my experience is that the logs didn’t show the brake had activated. The guy at the SC said he saw where I hit the accelerator to 100% but no brake or errors shown. Since this was their loaner I called them immediately so they knew it was happening. I also figured if I reported it and it happened again and actually caused an accident maybe my insurance wouldn’t have to pick up the bill.
Did they see the car decelerate? It may slow via regen w/o hitting the brakes. Sure, it feels like it is "slamming on the brakes" but it may not actually be doing that. For example, when the speed limit changes it will "regen down" to the new speed limit. It won't utilize the brakes.

Also, did it beep and warn of a collision?

I’ve owned my X with EAP for almost a year and have used Auto Pilot for at least 7,000 miles of the 21K total on the car. I have had several instances of sudden deceleration when using Auto Pilot on freeways and highways at 65 to 70mph where the speed drops 5 to 10mph in about 1 second. I have not seen it drop by 15mph, but maybe that is because I am paying attention and take action by pressing on the accelerator to increase my speed.

I suspect that there are multiple causes for this behavior, and posts on this thread have described several of them. It’s probably not just one thing that causes the sudden deceleration.

That said, I don’t think it is as dangerous as some claim and I have yet to read a report of that Auto Pilot behavior resulting in a collision.
FYI, on I-69, when the issue occurred (as previously stated, it may be resolved in new maps), there was a section where my vehicle would slow from 70 to below 45 for a while if I didn't override it (it may not have decelerated at full regen like some people experience, but it still did decelerate that much). I actually let it do this to show the service center the issue. There were no cars around when it slowed down, but I turned on my hazard flashers for the duration of the slowness, and several passed me before I finally overrode it. Interestingly, based on multiple trips, it wouldn't slow down again in the same area where it would have remained slow once overridden. It wouldn't slow down in the same spots with TACC, either, just with EAP. One could certainly argue that the driver needs to be attentive and not allow this to happen, making it less of an issue, but I think driving less than 45 on an Interstate where the speed limit is 70 is a dangerous behavior regardless.

It is probably fixed with the map update. I know the map update fixed the problems with the newer bridges and highways in Louisville. The old Navigon map database was severely stale. Very refreshing to finally have good data in the Louisville area. I suspect I-69 south is similar. If the Bloomington supercharger would come on line, I could make a round trip to Evansville <sigh>. Soon, very soon. Lol
supercharge.info doesn't show a permit or construction for Bloomington or Elberfeld, but both locations show end of 2018 as the target on Tesla.com. Depending on where the superchargers go in Bloomington, I would think you could be better off using the Elberfeld location. I have an HPWC at home, so that's the one I'm looking forward to.

For future reference, as soon as you touch the accelerator, any braking is disengaged and regen is reduced, so hitting it to 100% isn't really necessary.

This I know but when I have a semi that can't stop fast enough behind me then I have to get out of the way. He got within 12" of my bumper after I hit the accelerator so had I not done that I would have been rear ended.

Did they see the car decelerate? It may slow via regen w/o hitting the brakes. Sure, it feels like it is "slamming on the brakes" but it may not actually be doing that. For example, when the speed limit changes it will "regen down" to the new speed limit. It won't utilize the brakes.

Also, did it beep and warn of a collision?

They did see it decelerate and yes it did beep but no notifications that I noticed on the dash. It could have been regen but I did hear the ABS system make that weird noise and it went from probably 75 to 40 very quickly.

During my almost 50 years of driving experience I am continually astonished at how many drivers will tailgate on an uncrowded road where they have ample oppportunity to go around me. I estimate that at least a third of the drivers I see routinely follow the car ahead of them too closely. They seem to believe that they are protected by magical forces and have reaction times an order of magnitude faster than the mere mortals they share the road with. They are delusional. A state of mind which humans often have an affinity for.

It's the same in the UK. Tailgating has reached epidemic proportions and any talk of AP being less safe than the average motorway rat is a joke. The sooner all cars have the equivalent of AP the better it will be, even with the odd glitch. None of the phantom braking I've witnessed would come close to causing a crash IF the guy behind was following at a half sensible distance. When they come right up to my rear bumper I switch out of AP and get rid of them as fast as possible. Most high speed multiple car pileups are caused by cars travelling nose to tail without even paying much attention.

Two sections about it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    455.9 KB · Views: 62
When this has happened to me (very infrequently this year), I floor the accelerator to speed back up to match traffic flow. I don't take the time to disable AP. The vehicle responds quickly, and I don't think the brakes are involved - I think it's just regen braking.