Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Pilot - missing functionality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my car 3 months now and I still can’t figure out if my car is missing something when I’m in auto pilot... it doesn’t display traffic lights and I have to brake otherwise it runs red lights! Also doesn’t show arrow signs or detect lanes at junctions which I thought was FSD option but spawnpoint confirmed he just has auto pilot and his screen will show you arrows at junctions, what am I doing wrong??

Have you turned on the FSD visualisation preview? That will give you visualisations like traffic lights.

For functionality, like stopping for traffic light control, you need the FSD option. If you have base autopilot, its going to run red lights, junctions, speed signs etc.

When you enable the functionality, best to read the agreement of what you sign up to. That tells you what and not the functionality does and where if should be used.

That and it will only stop for lights if you navigate on autopilot.

If you have the base AP you just have lane keeping - which is the most usefull feature. Everything else in Europe is limited due to regulation. You can turn "FSD preview" in the settings, but that will just display things.

That and it will only stop for lights if you navigate on autopilot.

It should stop for lights and stop signs on TACC if you have the FSD option although I never trust the position of the stop line. Which is handy as you don't get many traffic lights and stop signs where NoA would be active! As well as FSD, you also need the 'Traffic light and stop sign control' option enabled in the driver profile.

• Informative
Reactions: Yev000
Recently i have experienced that the traffic lights are greyed out (no detection of red light or green light ) in the fsd visualisation.

I have regular AP and have my Fsd visualisation turned on .
Traffic light recognition is part of the FSD package. £6800 to recognise and stop at traffic lights!
09BA738B-0412-4998-B29F-79B64661192E.png

Just a hunch, depending when you got the car some people (possible spawnpoint?) may be experiencing the 3 months free FSD that gives them options they haven't bought, that will shortly change. With just AP you don't get much at all really, although arguably the main useful bits, , drives up to the set limit or what the car in front will allow if lower, and tries to stay between 2 white lines. None of it is trustworthy and can be relied upon, certainly not if talking to a police officer or in a court of law.

Just a hunch, depending when you got the car some people (possible spawnpoint?) may be experiencing the 3 months free FSD that gives them options they haven't bought, that will shortly change. With just AP you don't get much at all really, although arguably the main useful bits, , drives up to the set limit or what the car in front will allow if lower, and tries to stay between 2 white lines. None of it is trustworthy and can be relied upon, certainly not if talking to a police officer or in a court of law.
I think Tesla would take exception to "none of it is trustworthy" (....drive up to the set limit or speed of car in front if lower, try to stay between 2 white lines). Mine manages all of those things on AP & hasn't failed in the 11 months I've owned the car..

The less trustworthy part is phantom braking - I've had a couple of unexpected severe braking events with a handful of other more gentle occurrences but staying alert & sensible use of AP with right foot always above the accelerator has avoided anything dramatic. Those places where phantom braking had occurred I don't use AP anymore, I've not experienced the joys of a flap happy lorry curtain yet & don't use AP in the dark.

Reactions: init6
I think Tesla would take exception to "none of it is trustworthy" (....drive up to the set limit or speed of car in front if lower, try to stay between 2 white lines). Mine manages all of those things on AP & hasn't failed in the 11 months I've owned the car..

The less trustworthy part is phantom braking - I've had a couple of unexpected severe braking events with a handful of other more gentle occurrences but staying alert & sensible use of AP with right foot always above the accelerator has avoided anything dramatic. Those places where phantom braking had occurred I don't use AP anymore, I've not experienced the joys of a flap happy lorry curtain yet & don't use AP in the dark.
Not sure they would take exception to be honest, the manual lists all these

WARNING: Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is designed for your driving comfort and convenience and is not a collision warning or avoidance system. It is your responsibility to stay alert, drive safely, and be in control of the vehicle at all times. Never depend on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to adequately slow down Model 3. Always watch the road in front of you and be prepared to take corrective action at all times. Failure to do so can result in serious injury or death.

WARNING: Although Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is capable of detecting pedestrians and cyclists, never depend on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control to adequately slow Model 3 down for them. Always watch the road in front of you and be prepared to take corrective action at all times. Failure to do so can result in serious injury or death.

WARNING: Do not use Traffic-Aware Cruise Control on city streets or on roads where traffic conditions are constantly changing.

WARNING: Do not use Traffic-Aware Cruise Control on winding roads with sharp curves, on icy or slippery road surfaces, or when weather conditions (such as heavy rain, snow, fog, etc.) make it inappropriate to drive at a consistent speed. Traffic-Aware Cruise Control does not adapt driving speed based on road and driving conditions.

WARNING: When cruising at the speed limit, there may be situations where the cruising speed may not change when the speed limit changes.

WARNING: Do not rely on Traffic-Aware Cruise Control or Speed Assist to determine an accurate or appropriate cruising speed. It is the driver's responsibility to cruise at a safe speed based on road conditions and applicable speed limits

Can't say that shows an unambiguous endorsement even if it does work most of the time. and I did add some context regarding police and courts when things go wrong. I guess they know what they're doing. the warnings tend to cover things that if they went wrong the driver would be to blame, and they miss warning you about stuff that seems to happen, like phantom braking, but where the driver behind would likely get the blame TACC can also play up badly in heavy rain, I've had it start to close up on the car in front before now in heavy rain which wasn't confidence inspiring.

Traffic light recognition is part of the FSD package. £6800 to recognise and stop at traffic lights!View attachment 643517
I am well aware that traffic light recognition and start stop function FSD.

Here i am talking about fsd visualization .. Till 2020.x software version the fsd visualization showed lights getting green or red (even when you are not driving on AP). It seems to no longer work