Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto pilot moving left and right in the lane with huge over correction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They recently put in new functionality to AP/FSD to move over in the lane instead of staying dead center when there is a car/truck next to you (as many people have requested). Wondering if this is what some people are saying and if Tesla needs to tweak that a bit more.

I wondered at first, however that feature was in the previous 36.x release and while I could sense the mild left/right movement it is far worse, constant, and unrelated to if there is any adjacent traffic in the most recent FW drop.

I do find the car is much better at not moving out into a wide lane to center itself when an onramp causes the right lane to seem wide. It's better at holding toward the left like a real driver would. Also some merges the car holds along the right line better until the onramp fully merges into the highway, which lead me to a theory that this behavior is what is causing the ping-pong behavior on the highway - if the car is trying to hold the left or right line to avoid the wide-lane centering problem, it could be continually changing which side it's using as a guide and as a result continuously swerving toward each side.

1 thing i noticed..... when i'm in the slow lane and passing an on-ramp, the car want's to swerve right so it's in the middle of the lines, instead of just hugging the lines on the driver side. There was a car merging on to the freeway, near my rear passenger bumper and the autopilot swerved to the right toward the car that was merging. It seemed like i was trying to cut the other car off. I didn't like it at all. Driver behind me probably thought i was being a douche.

how is this done? I don't see any way to report in the app and I've never been able to figure out the in car "bug report"

Put it under "Driver Assistance and Wheel/Steering" and mention the issue in the text. They'll contact you via text/call/email and just say you want to be added to the affected VIN list with the AP ping/pong - left/right issue with Model 3. Give them your wheel/tire specs to add another data point for Tesla to analyze.

have had subtle weave/ping pong for almost half a year. Comes and goes. Sometimes it's gone completely, other times it's noticeable (but not leaving the lane noticeable, just I can feel it when holding the steering wheel). I did notice when driving with a lot of trucks that the "move away from them" feature does make the car seem like it's ping ponging a lot, but when you realize that it's just passing trucks, and goes away when there are no trucks around, it makes you feel a bit better (ie it's still annoying, but you understand why it is happening).

I wondered if Tesla implemented a subtle sway in the driving in order to be able to pick up on whether you've got your hand on the wheel during long straight drives (ie if it stays straight, there's no torque on the wheel, vs. if it moves ever so slightly, it can detect if your hand is still there without having to nag you to jiggle the wheel).

Here is one example where I posted about a problem I had with NOA.

NOA tried to take wrong exit!
Thanks. In that post you state, "Auto lane changes were perfect even with cars in my blind spot."

In our experience, Auto lane changes have rarely worked in common LA freeway traffic, and we have had to abort lane change attempts more often than not. I wish our adventures with the feature were much less adventurous (and so do the neighboring drivers).

Last edited:
how is this done? I don't see any way to report in the app and I've never been able to figure out the in car "bug report"
As for the in-car bug report: As with all voice commands, click the right scroll wheel. The screen will show a green microphone icon. Say, “Bug report: car weaving in lane.” Make it succinct like that. It’ll display a little message thanking you for your submission.

Well, I’m feeling lucky. We drove a couple hundred miles a few days ago, maybe 2/3 of it with Autosteer engaged. Because I’ve been reading threads like this one, I was ready for the ping pong, but noticed nothing extreme at all. There were a few times it might have been ever so gently weaving, but so mildly I wouldn’t have noticed if I weren’t looking for it. This was 40.2.1, for the record.

Reactions: Joshan
1 thing i noticed..... when i'm in the slow lane and passing an on-ramp, the car want's to swerve right so it's in the middle of the lines, instead of just hugging the lines on the driver side. There was a car merging on to the freeway, near my rear passenger bumper and the autopilot swerved to the right toward the car that was merging. It seemed like i was trying to cut the other car off. I didn't like it at all. Driver behind me probably thought i was being a douche.

That's not new. It's (ahem) feature of auto steer and been that way since I picked up my model 3 in Apr-18.

Reactions: FmaxTurboSi
Thanks. In that post you state, "Auto lane changes were perfect even with cars in my blind spot."

In our experience, Auto lane changes have rarely worked in common LA freeway traffic, and we have had to abort lane change attempts more often than not. I wish our adventures with the feature were much less adventurous (and so do the neighboring drivers).

I can only give you my experience just as you can only give me your experience. I found that NOA was good at showing on my screen when a car or truck was in my blind spot and waiting for the lane to be clear to initiate the lane change. NOA would even slow down to let the passing car get ahead of me before completing the auto lane change.

But I am not dismissing your experience. There is no doubt that there is some variation in people's experiences with AP depending on their location and other factors. I am sure LA freeway traffic is probably very different than Indianapolis freeway traffic where I drive which could account for the differences in our experiences.

I do think it is important for people to understand that if I have a good experience with AP that does not diminish your bad experience but your bad experience also does not negate my good experience.

• Love
Reactions: Joshan
I wondered if Tesla implemented a subtle sway in the driving in order to be able to pick up on whether you've got your hand on the wheel during long straight drives (ie if it stays straight, there's no torque on the wheel, vs. if it moves ever so slightly, it can detect if your hand is still there without having to nag you to jiggle the wheel).

Funny you mention this. I’ve had zero ping ponging until 40.1. But if I hold the wheel tighter And give it some (excessive in my opinion) force it seems to go away. I hope this isn’t nag. Please Tesla, don’t ruin our cars because of idiots :D

As for the in-car bug report: As with all voice commands, click the right scroll wheel. The screen will show a green microphone icon. Say, “Bug report: car weaving in lane.” Make it succinct like that. It’ll display a little message thanking you for your submission.
Do not pause after bug report, it seems it needs to be one continuous sentence without a pause.

They recently put new functionality in to AP/FSD to move over in the lane instead of staying dead center when there is a car/truck next to you (as many people have requested). Wondering if this is what some people are seeing and if Tesla needs to tweak that a bit more.

Last Thursday mine actually moved me close (real close) to another car. I immediately turned it off and took control. Hasn't been on since and this morning on TACC I got the below error message, so clearly something is amiss.

Error Msg.jpg

Has anyone had their Model 3 with the newest update see the car over correcting within the same lane moving back and forth from side to side? Mine was going crazy last night and got my wife very scared... anyone else with the same issue?

If your car is wobbling a lot in the lane back and forth, you might have a problem with your cameras. Are you getting any error message on the screen?

More wobbly on highways with 40.2.1 than on 36.2.4 for me. It’s still a minor annoyance more than anything, but a noticeable difference.

Also I have a poorly marked local road that I always try with new versions. It tried to steer into center of the road, thinking it was a single lane. Never did that before.

Then again it also handled a tight curve with a missing lane line perfectly, which it never did before either. So something positive for me as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Battpower