Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto pilot moving left and right in the lane with huge over correction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But it affects HW2.5.

I know. I have HW2.5. Do we know if HW3 also has the same issues? If the issue is only on HW2.5, it could mean that whatever changes Tesla made to optimize the software for HW3 is causing the software to no longer work as well on HW2.5. If HW3 also has the same issue, then it could mean that the issue is just a side effect of tweaking the software for city driving in general.

Yes!!!!
My autopilot is weaving / ping-ponging between the lane markers CONSTANTLY.

Left-Right-Left-Right....

It’s never done this until now. I find myself turning off pilot because of this crazy weaving.

also, in the HOV lane it is (increasingly) turning the blinker on for no reason (as if to swerve even more left into the barrier)

Also it gets into the exit lane 3-4 miles before the exit... not good.

40.2.1 is horrible for me on HW2.5. It is so bad since 40.2.1 and it was slightly detectable in the previous update also. I haven't had nice solid lane keeping since .28-.32ish.

Seconded. Things were getting better and better up through the end of 8.0. 9.0 was a major lane keeping regression, and it only very slowly got better, with 2019.32 still being perhaps not quite as good as 8.0, but in the ballpark. Unfortunately, 2019.36 was another huge stability regression, and now is back to early 8.0 quality.

What I think is happening is that they’re fighting a battle between trying to compensate quickly when someone does something stupid and trying to average out path corrections to avoid ping-ponging. That’s going to have to be solved by applying different amounts of smoothing depending on whether it is panic-steering or not.

Also, the steering decisions are happening way too late in general—probably because of inadequate computer performance—resulting in having to steer too tightly and then correct on the way back, and until that gets fixed, I wouldn’t expect the ping-ponging to really go away, just get damped a bit.

HW3 here, I get slight ping ponging after taking a sharper curve on the interstate. It’s not that noticeable. I think Tesla hasn’t made this a priority on AP development for a while. They are working on stuff they can monetize more.

I have a new Model 3 (with HW3) and I am experiencing ping ponging within a lane, and also driving on the edge of a lane, to the extent I can't use Autosteer for fear of crashing into a car to the side of me. I generally stay in one of the middle lanes to give Autopilot the easiest job possible to identify the lane. So far I have noticed this happening northbound in the early evening on my commute home. But southbound in the morning there is no ping ponging at all. My thought was it was maybe related to lighting conditions, because it does seem fine sometimes.

I have yet to experience ping pong. (HW2.5, 50.7) The closest I’ve come was last weekend. The car made a lane change to the left. It overshot center, and sort of bounced off the left lane line, coming right a bit back to center. But it was then stable.

Has anyone captured a video of the ping pong effect?

It’ll be ironic if the next retro game Tesla adds to our cars is Pong.

It's still a problem for me at times and I'm on 50.7 - mostly when the lanes are a bit wider than normal or on curved portions of the highway. There are times when I'm concerned I could be mistaken for being intoxicated.

The biggest problem for me is when it pings or pongs at the same time as I'm approaching a car in an adjacent lane. The car has gotten surprisingly close a couple of times and I was even honked at once.

Has anyone captured a video of the ping pong effect?
It's simple to reproduce the issue on a straight road and activating Autosteer when a tire is already on a lane line. Notice how the car moves past the center to the right line then back left then back right again. It's easiest to tell by following the bottom edge of the lane line in the side cameras.

ping pong.gif

It's simple to reproduce the issue on a straight road and activating Autosteer when a tire is already on a lane line. Notice how the car moves past the center to the right line then back left then back right again. It's easiest to tell by following the bottom edge of the lane line in the side cameras.

View attachment 498073
Thanks, @Mardak! I see it now.

I also have an explanation in your case. The beautiful forest alongside the road: the car is distracted enjoying the scenery. Attach cameras to AI and it’s bound to happen.

Super subtle for me HW2.5 MCU1. 40.2.1. Never noticed before but now decently noticeable. And definitely not the big truck avoidance. It’s a very subtle rhythmic movement. A slight curve in road or higher speeds may eventuate it.

Currently on a road trip from Texas to LA and it’s pretty annoying. I thought someone on another thread mentioned the cause of it.

I just completed 600+ miles over the weekend. To say this issue is annoying is an understatement, especially as someone that gets motion sickness as a passenger. I sure hope it isn't induced on purpose to 'feel' if your hand is on the wheel.

As mentioned earlier, it seems to happen more regularly if autosteer is initiated when not centered in the lane, or when the m3 decides you should be centered differently. In my case, the car wants to hug the left line far more than I do, so the gentle swaying starts right away.

The only other clue as to what might be going on - the lines visualized on my screen are constantly 'dancing', getting wider and narrower, even on perfectly straight sections of well-marked roads. Perhaps the autosteer system is trying to stay centered in what it sees as wickedly inconsistent lanes?

Has anyone had their Model 3 with the newest update see the car over correcting within the same lane moving back and forth from side to side? Mine was going crazy last night and got my wife very scared... anyone else with the same issue?

There's always been a certain amount of "hunting" in the lane especially coming out of curves on the freeway, but it seems much worse with the .40 updates. I've been using autopilot a lot less as it's disconcerting to passengers and even when I'm alone I'm wondering if it looks to others on the road like I'm under the influence or half asleep.

It's still a problem for me at times and I'm on 50.7 - mostly when the lanes are a bit wider than normal or on curved portions of the highway. There are times when I'm concerned I could be mistaken for being intoxicated.

The biggest problem for me is when it pings or pongs at the same time as I'm approaching a car in an adjacent lane. The car has gotten surprisingly close a couple of times and I was even honked at once.

My car actually brushed a concrete divider in a construction area at speed a few months ago when it was hunting back and forth in the lane on a freeway curve - I have the video - this was a few updates back so even before the .40 version. Scared the sh*t out of me, although the only damage it did was a big ding in the wheel rim. I felt very fortunate, it could have been so much worse. Since then I have avoided the lane next to concrete dividers in construction areas. But if you are under the illusion that "the car has side cameras, it would never actually *HIT* anything" -- then give up on that illusion .

I just drove a couple of thousand miles in France and UK. Raven MS LR FSD. Have Nokian winter tyres, but doubt they are involved.

Absolute worst situation was passing a truck. This would start a ping pong that within a couple of oscillations would have me over into agacent lane. With a barrier to my left and truck in the right the effect could be even stronger. As a previous poster suggested, I found that by bracing my arms against the car I could just about stop the ping pong without over riding AP.

With some super heavy fantom breaking (once leaving a tunnel, once going under an over head gantry sign, once creating up on agacent lane of traffic and others) and AP / TACC randomly decreasing and increasing manually set speed, the whole assisted driving feature pack is not only useless imo, but also absolutely dangerous.