Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Pilot - need to confirm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About to place the order and after reading so many threads on FSD, I was sure that I don't want to order FSD for now until I saw the VIN tracking spreadsheet on MX. Of the 1000+ MX orders, about 88% ordered FSD/EAP. If 88% ordered FSD/EAP, I don't want to be in that 12% that don't have FSD/EAP. lol.

So my question is with the free AP, can the car pass a slower car IF I manually pull the signal stick. For example, if I set the cruise control to 75mph with auto pilot. The car in front is cruising at 55mph and I pull the signal stick right, will the car automatically move to the right and pass the slowing car in the front?

I know FSD will do this automatically without me pulling the signal stick but in this case, I manually pull the signal stick. Just wonder if the autopilot will steer the car to the right and pass the car in the front without FSD.

...with the free AP, can the car pass a slower car IF I manually pull the signal stick...

No.

The description says:

"Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane"

The keyword here is "within its lane".

All your Autopilot functions work "within its lane".

When you turn on the light signal, it will signal forever "within its lane" and the car continues to center "within its lane" forever and does not encroach into an adjacent lane forever.

You then have to manually steer the steering wheel which shuts the autosteer off so you can escape your forever lane and go to an adjacent lane. Once you manually got yourself to a new lane, you can restart your autosteer again.

I would pay for FSD because the Autolane Change alone is well worth the money in itself. It automatically changes lanes much safer than I do (and I've been driving for 46 years without causing any accident)!

No.

The description says:

"Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane"

The keyword here is "within its lane".

All your Autopilot functions work "within its lane".

When you turn on the light signal, it will signal forever "within its lane" and the car continues to center "within its lane" forever and does not encroach into an adjacent lane forever.

You then have to manually steer the steering wheel which shuts the autosteer off so you can escape your forever lane and go to an adjacent lane. Once you manually got yourself to a new lane, you can restart your autosteer again.

I would pay for FSD because the Autolane Change alone is well worth the money in itself. It automatically changes lanes much safer than I do (and I've been driving for 46 years without causing any accident)!

So once I manually steer the car to the next lane, the autosteer shuts off but how about the cruise speed? will it stay at the preset 75mpg that was set earlier or that gets reset too. If the speed stays at 75, all I have to do is re-enable autosteer, correct? How do I do that, pull the stick toward twice?

Took me a bit to figure this out, I sat there in my lane with the turn signal going, waiting for it to change lanes :D

I don't have FSD because $6k only buys you lane changes, taking interchanges between highways, autopark, and summon. That's.... just not a lot. I don't need autopark, I can park it myself just fine. Summon is mostly a gimmick right now, and taking interchanges doesn't happen often enough that I care if the car can do it. So that leaves me paying $6k for lane changes... which would be nice to have, but not $6k nice (for me).

Reactions: V1VrV2

We did not get FSD in our Raven MX and I'm largely OK with that decision, but the autolane change is the one thing that I do occasionally wish I had... (not $6,000 worth of "wish" though). That said, I'm pretty happy with the adaptive cruise control and the ability to drive using AP without FSD. My previous car was a 2009 Passat and devoid of any of this sort of fancy driving technology, so it's all new and really cool to me! :)

I have a 2016 model x with ap1. When I turn on autopilot it tracks center, when I turn on the turn signal to change lanes it's changes lanes automatically and accelerates around slow traffic. If someone is on the side of me it uses the sensors to detect if anything is in adjacent lane. It waits until sensors are clear them changes lane. I do not have to change lanes manually and take it out of autopilot then turn it back on when in the other lane. Ap2 and higher can turn on its own turn signal when a faster lane is detected by the camera and sensors.