Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto pilot on AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 2016 Model S 90D (ap1) from a private party. The seller never added any ap software features during their ownership. I read that now basic ap features like lane assist are standard and do not cost anything extra but some places indicate that there is a cost. Can anyone clarify if I get the basic ap features at no cost? That is all I would be interested in since the car doesn't have ap2 or 3 hardware anyway. Thanks.

Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 2016 Model S 90D (ap1) from a private party. The seller never added any ap software features during their ownership. I read that now basic ap features like lane assist are standard and do not cost anything extra but some places indicate that there is a cost. Can anyone clarify if I get the basic ap features at no cost? That is all I would be interested in since the car doesn't have ap2 or 3 hardware anyway. Thanks.

What "AP1 software features" are you concerned that the car doesn't have?

Originally AP1 cost approximately $2000-2500 to purchase. I would imagine the price now is similar. After you transfer the car to your Tesla account, you should have the option to purchase the upgrade on your app.

More on this here:

It sounds like it’s far less straightforward than it should be. Maybe go with the current owner to a Service Center and ask them in person?

More on this here:

It sounds like it’s far less straightforward than it should be. Maybe go with the current owner to a Service Center and ask them in person?
Ok so not as easy as I would have hoped. But yes it sounds like it can be added.

I would verify what the car has now. The owner may have purchased AP when he originally took delivery of the car.
Have the owner take a picture of the car's Software page. Does it show Highway Autopilot Included Package?

IMG_20210801_133221501 copy.jpg