Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto pilot on navigation on high way sudden slow down, van behind me almost rear ended me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I look at the whole where to put my foot this way... First, because of unwanted slowdowns for various reasons, I keep my foot over the accelerator to lessen the impact of those events. second, and I think more applicable to help with the people who want to hover over the brake...

In an ICE car when you are driving, where is your foot when not on cruise control? It's on the accelerator...but no one complains about not being able to get to the brake in time...

Now for cruise control in an ICE, well really most any car...where is your foot? I'll say probably over/near the brake...but why? Because it is an easy way to stop the cruise control, AND it doesn't cause a big slowdown event at the time of disengagement...BUT you are probably going to be moving back to the accelerator pretty quickly to maintain speed.

If, given that in either an ICE or a Tesla, you keep your hands on the wheel, then disengaging TACC in a Tesla is an easy flick of the right stalk, and your foot being over the accelerator allows you to avoid a usually unnecessary abrupt regen induced slowdown. I would say that normally, needing to disengage any form of cruise control, there is no need to slow down abruptly.
The purpose of AP/FSD is to make our life easier.... current implementation of AP/FSD makes our life harder. Musk is a good salesman.

That's good to know.
In previous versions, there was a report button (looked like a camera icon) you would press after an intervention or disengagement. In current versions there is no report button. You intervening or disengaging the system via steering wheel takeover or brake pedal will flag the incident. If Tesla is looking for data regarding a maneuver, your car will upload the data when it connects to WiFi.
You sure it uploads it ? I would order a service visit ASAP
If people requested service appointment for each time something bad happens maybe they would start taking it seriously.

You sure it uploads it ? I would order a service visit ASAP
If people requested service appointment for each time something bad happens maybe they would start taking it seriously.
There are a few people here who have posted their router data logs showing their Tesla uploading and downloading large amounts of data randomly. This would seem to indicate so.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
I had the same experience last month driving in the desert with nothing in front of me, in broad daylight, on a straight stretch of road and at speeds from 90 to 120 km/h. Last week, driving in the desert again, the same thing happened. Luckily, I had no cars close behind me.
No issues last spring going over the same terrain.
I have had it try to stop at a stop unexpectedly when it spotted the back of a stop sign on an adjacent road. Apparently, the octagon triggered it (regardless of the fact that it was not red and had no writing on it

Did you report?

This is very dangerous, almost no time to respond. Usually my foot is close to brake when I am cruising. In this case, the best is to do is accelerate?
This is well known "phantom braking" however why/when it happens isn't that well known.
I hover my foot above the accelerator pedal, ready to speed up in response to phantom braking.

It feels natural to me, as when I drive my dumb non-adaptive cruise control ICE suv, my foot gently rests on the gas pedal.
It's my habit from the non-cruise-control days where you had to continually press the gas pedal. (gosh I am old)