Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Pilot questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it any use in city driving?

Is it worth the price?

i swore I wouldn't pay that much but I'm about to break down and get it. I''m sure the day I do the next day they will drop the price to 2000 agaih. ;(

What all does Auto Pilot do?

Here is a link directly from tesla which has the features of both autopilot and FSD:

Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability

(this is the answer to the question "what does autopilot do").

In case you dont want to click the link to official information from tesla for some reason, here is the text of the relevant section.

===========================

Autopilot and Full Self-Driving Capability Features
Autopilot is a suite of driver assistance features that can be purchased before you buy your car or after it’s been delivered, and brings new functionality to your Tesla that makes driving safer and less stressful. Available packages include:

Autopilot
  • Traffic-Aware Cruise Control: Matches the speed of your car to that of the surrounding traffic
  • Autosteer: Assists in steering within a clearly marked lane, and uses traffic-aware cruise control
Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Navigate on Autopilot (Beta): Actively guides your car from a highway’s on-ramp to off-ramp, including suggesting lane changes, navigating interchanges, automatically engaging the turn signal and taking the correct exit
  • Auto Lane Change: Assists in moving to an adjacent lane on the highway when Autosteer is engaged
  • Autopark: Helps automatically parallel or perpendicular park your car, with a single touch
  • Summon: Moves your car in and out of a tight space using the mobile app or key
  • Smart Summon: Your car will navigate more complex environments and parking spaces, maneuvering around objects as necessary to come find you in a parking lot.
  • Traffic and Stop Sign Control (Beta): Identifies stop signs and traffic lights and automatically slows your car to a stop on approach, with your active supervision
  • Upcoming:
    • Autosteer on city streets

Is it ok / safe to use Auto Pilot in city driving?

Nothing in "Autopilot" Supports city driving. See my post above with the information about exactly which features are available with which product.

"Autopilot" only includes:

Autopilot
  • Traffic-Aware Cruise Control: Matches the speed of your car to that of the surrounding traffic
  • Autosteer: Assists in steering within a clearly marked lane, and uses traffic-aware cruise control
So the TL ; DR answer to your question is : "No, its not safe for city driving as nothing for city driving is activated for the product called "Autopilot". You need to purchase full self driving for that, and that per your other post above:

==========
I'm talking about Auto Pilot not FSD. Or do they discuss Auto Pilot in that video?

So, no.

Is it ok / safe to use Auto Pilot in city driving?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer as @jjrandorin indicated: Beware that it's not intended for city driving.

...Is it worth the price?...What all does Auto Pilot do?

It's an incremental feature so to me, it's worth the money.

It can only do 2 things:

1) TACC: smart cruise so that it can follow a lead car in front without rear-ending it.
2) AutoSteer within its own lane. It doesn't work well with streets that don't have lane markings.

It is missing Auto Lane Change from FSD which I think would make driving much safer even in the city.

It's absolutely worth every cent you pay for it.

(It's included in the price of the car.)

Autopilot is included in the price of your car. Yes, technically you can use autopilot on city streets. Autopilot only drives in your lane for and you have to keep your hands on the wheel.

Based on this OPs signature, he has a LeMR tesla (limited edition Mid Range). Autopilot did not come with that vehicle, so while its true to say it "comes with the car" not every tesla owner has even basic autopilot, if they purchased before about april of 2019 and didnt pay anything extra for it.

For those people, they would have to pay for autopilot (which is likely where this OP is getting that "2k upgrade price" from.

@Tam I am going to (respectfully) disagree with the statement that regular autopilot is safe to use on city streets, but I mean that for "the average owner". Someone who knows exactly what its capable of, and much more importantly, what it ISNT capable of (like yourself), yes, its safe for that person to use.

For the average tesla owner, or specifically, someone who isnt clear what is or isnt include in autopilot, I would say no. Regular autopilot doesnt auto steer on city streets. It also doesnt have traffic and stop sign control, so my understanding is it wont stop for stop signs etc. So, for this OP, 2k gets them what other manufacturers call "cruise control". Most people would not attempt to activate another vehicles cruise control on city streets, so that is the reason for my answer (and respectful disagreement with "its safe on city streets".

TL ; DR, = While I think it would be ok for those very familiar with both their tesla, and what regular autopilot does and doesnt provide, it would be ok to use... but that does not cover most people, and certainly someone who is asking "is this safe".

Reactions: pjensen
Are you sure about this? My understanding is that "basic" AP is the union of TACC and Autosteer.
Depends on how you define "Steer." AutoSteer keeps you in your lane and does work on city streets. It will go around most curves, but the sharper the bend, the higher likelihood of failure. I'm referring to slight curves/bends in the road: not corners.

But I strongly echo @jjrandorin's comments about it not being used on surface streets without extreme caution.

I'm a relatively new Tesla driver, M3 SR+ bought in June. I paid for FSD because FSD is the reason I bought a Tesla instead of another brand of electric car which would have cost much less. I've used FSD on city streets, and I've become quite familiar with its limitations (I don't have the beta version}. I've pretty much stopped using FSD on city streets. I have to intervene pretty often so it doesn't reduce the stress of driving. I anticipate getting the rewrite of FSD later this year and using it al the time. Meanwhile, I enjoy using FSD on limited access highways and on country roads. It works great in those situations.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Well, technically, you do. The version you have was also considered Beta, though from everything I've read, it sounds more like an Alpha version.
OK, the version I have, which has stoplight and stop sign recognition turned on, still isn't the limited one that makes turns on city streets. If I need to make a 90-degree turn on a city street, autosteer turns itself off. Frankly, the version of FSD that I really want is the one that may not ever happen. What I want is the version that's safer than a human driver on any street. I'm 76 years old. I want my Tesla to be legally able to drive me around when I get too old to drive myself around.

OK, the version I have, which has stoplight and stop sign recognition turned on, still isn't the limited one that makes turns on city streets. If I need to make a 90-degree turn on a city street, autosteer turns itself off. Frankly, the version of FSD that I really want is the one that may not ever happen. What I want is the version that's safer than a human driver on any street. I'm 76 years old. I want my Tesla to be legally able to drive me around when I get too old to drive myself around.

@Kevy Baby is just pointing out that the version of FSD we all have is still considered "beta". I suspect even the re written version will have the "beta" title to it by tesla.