Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Pilot Quirkiness.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure I really follow the logic with the auto pilot. It works on most all roads, whether residential, local, or freeways. But the auto lane change only works on freeways. I don't see the point of the auto pilot if you can't auto change lanes when you need to, whether it be a local road or a freeway. I've been told by Tesla that the auto lane change does not work on anything but freeways. Who really drives anywhere without changing lanes often? And if you need to disable the auto pilot, change the lane, and then re-engage, it all seems tedious.

This is a ap2 thing because it uses GPS. Ap1
I'm not sure I really follow the logic with the auto pilot. It works on most all roads, whether residential, local, or freeways. But the auto lane change only works on freeways. I don't see the point of the auto pilot if you can't auto change lanes when you need to, whether it be a local road or a freeway. I've been told by Tesla that the auto lane change does not work on anything but freeways. Who really drives anywhere without changing lanes often? And if you need to disable the auto pilot, change the lane, and then re-engage, it all seems tedious.
Ap2 is still using map data it appears to determine lane change. This is currently different than ap1 which uses the camera to recognize dashed lines then allows a lane change on those roads. As some point I'm sure it will be handled the same way, perhaps with the update that enables automatic lane change.

Remember, this is not full autopilot, that is in the future.
There are a lot of quirks. I've got an Interstate spur next to me that changes from an Interstate designator to a state highway designator. The road really doesn't change, but lane changes disable.
I was on a number of roads this week travelling on some not Interstate paths, and I would be going down a road with lane guidance and adaptive cruise control and then all the sudden, lane guidance would disappear. Not really what changed on the road designation, but weird.
The one that I hate most is when the lane guidance isn't available on roads, mainly because the speed limit is missing or incorrect.