Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto pilot safety features added in last year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has there been any enhancements added to the basic autopilot in the last year?
It seems like auto pilot has done some things that have made driving safer.
I'm thinking that with all the knowledge and developments gained from FSD some may have been added to basic auto pilot strictly for safety purposes.

Reactions: jsight
Has there been any enhancements added to the basic autopilot in the last year?
It seems like auto pilot has done some things that have made driving safer.
I'm thinking that with all the knowledge and developments gained from FSD some may have been added to basic auto pilot strictly for safety purposes.
tesla recent,y mentioned they will be iterating & improving some of the enhanced auto pilot features Dealing with self parking and summoning. I imagine they will always be looking to improve regular autopilot. I use autopilot daily & really like it. same with other family members who I chatted with tonight, they don’t use this forum.

Questions to all current Tesla owner Pros (BTW I appreciate all of the learning from this community

I got my 2023 MYLR on Nov 22 and am enjoying driving it while trying to learn as much a I could, especially the basic AUTOPILOT features that comes with the car. Please correct my understanding
(1) Autopilot - when engaged - will center my car in a lane. Correct?
(2) Autopilot - when engaged - won't change lane for me. I have to do it myself, correct?
(3) Autopilot - when engaged - won't stop the car for me at a stop sign nor red traffic light. Correct?
(4) When I back my car out of a parking lot, does my car stop me from backing out if the cameras see that I am about to back into other cars/people? My Lexus did that, it won't allow me backing out

I don't drive enough to even consider EAP, unless 6 months from now I see the need for it

Thanks all and enjoy yours
(teach me...teach me...teach me)

Questions to all current Tesla owner Pros (BTW I appreciate all of the learning from this community

I got my 2023 MYLR on Nov 22 and am enjoying driving it while trying to learn as much a I could, especially the basic AUTOPILOT features that comes with the car. Please correct my understanding
(1) Autopilot - when engaged - will center my car in a lane. Correct?
(2) Autopilot - when engaged - won't change lane for me. I have to do it myself, correct?
(3) Autopilot - when engaged - won't stop the car for me at a stop sign nor red traffic light. Correct?
snip….

I use Autopilot + Auto Steer (Beta) on freeways & well marked highways only. If I'm not on a freeway or highway I wouldn't use the autosteer option.

1) Autopilot will center the car in a lane if the autosteer (beta) option is activre, two pushes on the stalk assuming free feature is turned on in car settings.

2) Autopilot will not change lanes on highway or freeway, enhanced autopilot has that feature. Of note Full Self Driving (FSD) includes enhanced autopilot features.

3) Autopilot will not stop at red lights or stop signs.

(5) I heard of "Lane departure avoidance..."
With the basic Autopilot , when I wanna make a right turn or left turn , does it PREVENT me from switching lane if the cameras see it's a dangerous situation and it won't allow me?
I own a Model Y, and I do not know the answer to this one yet. It displays warnings of nearby objects or cars on the screen, but I do not yet know how it behaves when I attempt a lane change into one. To do that, I actually need to freak someone out on a highway, and that probably isn't a good idea.

Reactions: cdub
Thanks for all responds
(5) I heard of "Lane departure avoidance..."
With the basic Autopilot , when I wanna make a right turn or left turn , does it PREVENT me from switching lane if the cameras see it's a dangerous situation and it won't allow me?

Bear with me, I am learning
@CMPT PAD , I’d read the tesla manual auto pilot features and safety features section. It is online.

my car colors Other vehicles red if they are next to me & I have turn signal on. I suspect if I attempt to lane change there might be slight resistance in steering wheel & loud beeps like lane change departure instances