Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Pilot Safety Tip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I enjoy AP but freak out when a car in front of me is stopped at a light and I am going at a high rate of speed. I find it stops to abruptly. Going 50 miles per hour waiting for it to slow down 500 feet away (radar engagement) is scary. I have started using the stalk to drop the speed from maybe 50 down to 40 mph in 5 mph increments. This is a little more comforting.

I enjoy AP but freak out when a car in front of me is stopped at a light and I am going at a high rate of speed. I find it stops to abruptly. Going 50 miles per hour waiting for it to slow down 500 feet away (radar engagement) is scary. I have started using the stalk to drop the speed from maybe 50 down to 40 mph in 5 mph increments. This is a little more comforting.

Don't do that. The system is not designed to slow down or stop for non-moving vehicles. It may do so under some conditions, but no guarantee.

Also see: 3 day old import P85D crashed while using TACC

I do same with the speed stalk. But also hover foot over the brake.

I know of several cases where the car didn’t stop. It may wait too long for stopped cars and be unable to stop in time, esp if there is a path around the side it thinks you may use.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I find that if it picks it up in the IC "after" the car is stopped it does not reliably stop for it. But if it picks it "before" the car is stopped it seems to stop as expected. Also, if "after" I think it works if my speed is below a certain speed (not sure what it is) so slowing down with the stick would certainly help.

Reactions: scottf200
I was on an AP1 X and just went to an AP2.0 car and it works the same way. I originally planed on an AP2.5 car that has a different radar (longer range ... HW2.5 capabilities ). Maybe they will get the vision interpretation better to back up the radar so it will stop. After all even AP2.0 cars are supposed to support Full Self-Driving (FSD).