TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Auto pilot settlement

Discussion in 'Model S' started by sumitkgarg, Jul 25, 2018.

1. sumitkgarg

sumitkgarg Member

Got a notice pointing to this today. Wondering if I should exclude myself or not. I am a little disappointed because the owner advisor told me that the auto freeway exit and some other EAP features will come in “next” update back in August 2017.

Sheikh, et al. v. Tesla, Inc.

2. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

The most I have ever received from a class action law suit was $10. The lawyers get most of the money.
    Excluding yourself means you retain the right to sue on your own.
    Not excluding yourself means you lose the right to sue on your own.

If you have no intention of suing Tesla it is pointless to exclude yourself from the settlement.

I am not a lawyer and don't play one on television.
    My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it, which is $0.00.

Contact a real lawyer for advice.
    His/her fee will likely be a lot more than you will get from the settlement unless you have a relative that is a lawyer.

• Like x 1
  3. Upscaleman

Upscaleman Member

Real lawyer here.

Class action settlements usually give virtually nothing to the class plaintiffs, as correctly noted by MurphyS90D, above.

However, if you opt out, are you willing to either retain an attorney and file your own suit, or let your actions expire after a certain amount of time has passed?

Further, I have not reviewed the settlement. Sometimes they contain injunctive orders, such as Tesla must do so and so by a certain date. Make sure you review the proposed settlement for any such elements before you make your decision.

4. hill

hill Active Member

actually - from experience, they don't .... most goes to pay errors & omissions policy, office lease, clearical (& their medical, SS etc) online reasearch Co, & uncle sam. And when they get zip for lost/contingency suits it averages out even lower. But feel free anyway to promulgate the old adage, "grass is greener on the other side". I'm not gonna opt out - the paltry $200 or so is better than nothing -
    :)

5. snd92

snd92 Member

6. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member