Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

auto pilot sudden stopping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an extended range on a first day reservation with the stripped down autopilot, added during the brief window of time you could get it for $2K after purchase. It does lane steering and cruise control, but not navigate on autopilot or lane changes
Anyway, I'm getting weird sudden stopping when nothing is in front of me on the freeway and no one is merging into my lane. It happens like once every two weeks, and I can't find a clear pattern. There is one stretch of the 5 in Burbank going North that it happens a lot, the pavement is pretty new and light so maybe it isn't seeing the lane lines, and it has happened when someone in front of me moves over, changing lanes, and maybe it happens a little more when I am about to go under an overpass, but other times it happens when I am just driving along with no one within 5 car lengths and the car just slows significantly, not regen, but actual breaking. Any ideas or is anyone else experiencing this?
Thanks
Rob

If there is a stretch of road that you experience this on regularly, and you can recreate the situation, I would try to get it on film (both TeslaCam, and if you can, a High Definition video recording side-by-side which includes your speedometer). Then, issue a bug report, and call it into Tesla together with timestamps. If you get it escalated to the AutoPilot team, they can tell you what triggers this. They're a bit busy, but if you are persistent, you'll get an answer.

Phantom braking would be a good search. It's not stopping, but deceleration for a moment or more.

There can be many apparent causes. The car might think the speed limit has been reduced (like grabbing the limit from a cross street on an overpass, or perhaps "fleet speed" if that's a real thing). The car seems to hesitate at underpass shadows. It can also seems to pause if it thinks a car in front of you but one lane over is going to merge into your lane. That makes for a choppy ride at times.

Anyway, there's nothing special about your car. Everyone has the same problem.