Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto present door failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I parked (as I always do) next to my jet ski trailer. When I got out the car sensed the trailer and door stopped, as it always does. When I came back to the car, it flew open full speed, not detecting anything and scratched my door pretty badly. Look at the attached picture for the damage, and please excuse the dirty car!

Attachments

• IMG_20161031_173203.jpg
    IMG_20161031_173203.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 208
I'm starting to think the PUP package should come with the doors wrapped in one of those protective films. I ordered PUP on my X; I'm not liking these unexpected strikes.

I got my doors wrapped and recommend everyone do the same. I've had two door malfunctions that resulted in damage to the film but no paint damage. I had evidence that clearly indicated a malfunction and Tesla took care of replacing the film (which was definitely cheaper than repainting the door).

Today I parked (as I always do) next to my jet ski trailer. When I got out the car sensed the trailer and door stopped, as it always does. When I came back to the car, it flew open full speed, not detecting anything and scratched my door pretty badly. Look at the attached picture for the damage, and please excuse the dirty car!
I ended up shutting off the Auto Present feature because of an incident I had approaching my vehicle and watching the door swing open in traffic. Didnt have an accident, but scared me because its fast, and I didnt have time to react. I guess if you never park on the street it would be fine, but otherwise, plan on having to use the door handle and save yourself a possible issue with a passing bicycle or vehicle.

Amazing quality camera. What kind are those?

Sorry about door. Hopefully Tesla agrees to fix. Amazing proof to have

I actually just installed them a couple weeks back myself. They are LTS Security. They are the same as Hikivision. 5 megapixel turret.

I want them to fix the door of course, but I also want them to fix the sensor so it doesn't happen again to me or anyone else. It seems like it's bug that I covered the sensor and it forgot what it had detected a minute prior.

Reactions: hiroshiy
The good news is Tesla had the car picked up, brought to the body shop and directly back.

Problem is it seems the body shop went joy riding. They (the body shop) brought the car back, left the passenger window open, and left me with 60 miles of range left.

Look at this energy graph.

Attachments

• IMG_20161118_090907.jpg
    IMG_20161118_090907.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20161118_090911.jpg
    IMG_20161118_090911.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 89
The door sensors are in the FWDs. They claimed that's why it didn't see the trailer.

My argument/reason for showing them was I thought a simple software fix is having the doors "remember" what they last saw and taking the cautious approach to opening. If 1 second ago there was an obstacle and now it disappeared, the door should open partially and not fly open, even if the object has moved out of the way.

Agree, we all just need to be educated on where the sensors are. The car didn't see the trailer likely either time since the sensors are in the FWDs. It is usually cases like this where someone pulls up next to something in the front but not 2nd row back that the doors have an accident - just been aware of that always when parked.

Agree, maybe the doors could just open conservatively if there has been an obstacle detected on driver side within last couple minutes of parking. It would negate opening in most garages and parking lots.