Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-present handles finicky all of a sudden

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Auto-present has been finicky for me after the 6.1 update. First thing in the morning even touching the handle doesn't make it present, I have to use the fob. Afterwards they seem to work ok during short errands but if the car sits for a longer period I have to resort to the fob again.

Checked the setting, it hasn't changed. If it's still jacked in the morning I might call the SvC to see if they want to examine logs before trying a reboot.

It's been happening to me too. Only at work though. I figured it was interference from my cell or some other transmission equipment. A reboot seems to fix it for a while and then back to not presenting. I also lose connectivity sometimes. Next time it happens, i would try connecting from the app and see if that works. Maybe just a coincidence.

Also of note, this was happening prior to 6.1 upgrade.

Experienced something similar today. I walked up to the car expecting the handles to present. When they didn't, I pressed on the driver's door handle. Nothing happend. I tried the fob; nothing happened. I tried to connect with the app, but it wouldn't connect. The app would either crash or give the "waking car" message until it failed. After a few minutes of standing around like an idiot, I tried the fob again and it worked. It's the first time any of this has happened. I updated to 6.1 early yesterday.

Edit: For clarity, my app still says "Waking car" when I try to connect.

Last edited:
Spoke too soon...after getting the latest update today, handles were unresponsive tonight after the car sat all day. It was also charging at the time FWIW.

SvC had called me earlier in the day to ask what was up & I waved them off. I'll need to let them know it's still happening.

I'm on my third iteration of 6.1, I think I'm up to 2.2.130. I was out and about today and my handles didn't auto present I even placed my fob on passenger window without any luck. Thank goodness for the Tesla smartphone app.

I have had a similar problem a couple times. I have not seen this happen before the last updates. Handles do not present and I have to use keyfob. Then when handles do come out, I grab and pull and the door does not open. I try again 1 second or so later and the windows drops down a bit as usual but door opens a little and gets caught in between and then a third pull opens it. I'll see if it persists.

On a side note every time I precondition the car the music is playing when I get in. I have it paused before hand.

Did you try rebooting the center console? I have the same issue usually occur after a firmware update. It will listen to the app (for purposes of preheating or precooling the car). The fob does cause the car to unlock and the handles to present for me.

It happened today again. Drivers side rear door would present handles but when I pulled on handle the door would not open. I tried the other 3 doors and they were ok.
Also problem not having 3 g or wifi. I had to reset holding right and left rotating wheels on steering wheel. After reset 3G came back with 3 bars

Both of these problems started happening after the last firmware update several weeks or so.

Last edited:
Handles sometimes close unexpectedly

Today after supercharging our S85 my wife pushed the driver side door handle to get it to present and after presenting it immediately retracted almost catching her fingers. I was opening the passenger side door at the same time. This has happened before with the same scenario of simultaneous entry. It is disconcerting but has never caused injury. We are using .140 but it has happened with at least one earlier 6.x update. We are pending another update tonight so perhaps that will solve the issue.