Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Present Handles Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A little while ago I went to the garage to get something out of the trunk. Pressed the trunk release, trunk opened. Then I remembered, that shouldn't have happened as I did not have a fob with me. Touched a door handle, and they all extended. Hmmm. Fob is hanging on a hook in the kitchen, maybe 20 yards away. Moved both fobs to a far corner of the house - touch a door handle and it pops out. Can not turn the car on, but can open the doors and trunk.

Removed the battery from both fobs. Touch a door handle, and out it pops, can open door.

Went to controls, settings and turned AUTO-PRESENT HANDLES off, left WALK-AWAY DOOR LOCK on. Now with the fob in the kitchen the door handles remain retracted when pushed. With fob in pocket, handles extend when pushed.

Am I missing something here? A known software glitch? Mid February 2013 delivery, VIN 4429, release v4.4.

Looks like ever since I took delivery, I've been walking away from the car, seeing the handles retract, and felt all was secure - except that it was not.:mad:

One of the guys here couldn't get his car to auto lock. We managed to clear it by turning off walk-away locking, rebooting the touch screen, then turning it back on again.
Good tip.

Auto locking was not my problem. My problem was that you could unlock the car by pressing a handle, no matter how far away the fob was.

I turned AUTO-PRESENT HANDLES off, rebooted the center console, and turned AUTO-PRESENT HANDLES on. Now works the way it should. Auto locks when walk away, handles pop when you approach with the fob, and can not cause the handles to present if the fob is not near by.

But it is still bothersome to me - how do I know it will not revert back to "anyone can open the car without a fob" condition in the future? I guess I'll just turn AUTO-PRESENT HANDLES off. Not that big a deal to have to press the handle in order to open the car.

Good tip.

Auto locking was not my problem. My problem was that you could unlock the car by pressing a handle, no matter how far away the fob was.

I turned AUTO-PRESENT HANDLES off, rebooted the center console, and turned AUTO-PRESENT HANDLES on. Now works the way it should. Auto locks when walk away, handles pop when you approach with the fob, and can not cause the handles to present if the fob is not near by.

But it is still bothersome to me - how do I know it will not revert back to "anyone can open the car without a fob" condition in the future? I guess I'll just turn AUTO-PRESENT HANDLES off. Not that big a deal to have to press the handle in order to open the car.

I'd like the option for the lights to flash and/or the horn to honk on auto lock. A positive indication that the car locked would help you avoid this situation.

I'd like the option for the lights to flash and/or the horn to honk on auto lock. A positive indication that the car locked would help you avoid this situation.

The hazard and taillights do flash when the car auto locks. But, an audible sign is better as one's walking away with their back to the car.

I've not got much confidence in the auto lock although it never failed on me, as I recall, except on a couple of occasions when my wife's purse with her fob was in the hidden trunk well.

If I park in a very public place, I use the fob to lock it the old-fashioned way. And, I almost always double check with the mobile app that it's indeed locked.

The hazard and taillights do flash when the car auto locks. But, an audible sign is better as one's walking away with their back to the car.

I've not got much confidence in the auto lock although it never failed on me, as I recall, except on a couple of occasions when my wife's purse with her fob was in the hidden trunk well.

If I park in a very public place, I use the fob to lock it the old-fashioned way. And, I almost always double check with the mobile app that it's indeed locked.
Yes, can confirm on 4.4 (and I believe prior) it does flash. Agree that it would be great to have the horn also (it can be optional via setting, or like other car mfr's do, it will only sound the horn on a second lock press).

Also, I'd love for a way to force the handles to retract/lock without pressing the fob. I realize it's probably not possible with current hardware, but something like a 'long touch" to force the handles to retract and lock would be a lot easier than having to press the fob. And yes, you could say "just walk away", but i find the time/distance allowance before it auto locks is way too long for me to be comfortable.

Yes, can confirm on 4.4 (and I believe prior) it does flash. Agree that it would be great to have the horn also (it can be optional via setting, or like other car mfr's do, it will only sound the horn on a second lock press).

Also, I'd love for a way to force the handles to retract/lock without pressing the fob. I realize it's probably not possible with current hardware, but something like a 'long touch" to force the handles to retract and lock would be a lot easier than having to press the fob. And yes, you could say "just walk away", but i find the time/distance allowance before it auto locks is way too long for me to be comfortable.

+1 on wanting a 'touch to lock' feature. BMW has this and I never had to take my key fob out of a pocket, briefcase, etc. for ALL normal car options. I find it disconcerting that I have to dig it out and click to lock my car.

walk-away lock does not work well for me because (a) I like to leave it unlocked in my garage and (b) there is no audible confirmation that the auto-lock has occurred.

There's a difference between the car being unlocked and the handles being extended. The handles can retract under all sorts of circumstances and the car still be unlocked. I'd be really surprised if the car was unlocking when you touched the handles. Are you sure it wasn't already unlocked and just doing the normal thing of presenting the handles when touched? Did you check the lock status of the car with the app? It definitely sounds like an auto-lock problem to me.

+1 on wanting a 'touch to lock' feature. BMW has this and I never had to take my key fob out of a pocket, briefcase, etc. for ALL normal car options. I find it disconcerting that I have to dig it out and click to lock my car.

walk-away lock does not work well for me because (a) I like to leave it unlocked in my garage and (b) there is no audible confirmation that the auto-lock has occurred.

Don't dig your fob out then. Just push the button while it is in your pocket. It's easy to feel the shape and hit the roof of the fob even through a jacket. I guess it would be harder if stuck down in a purse.