Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-presenting door + 2 fobs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I've figured out how to get my auto-presenting driver door to work consistently... and also to fail consistently. It's so obvious that I'm sure it's been mentioned here before but I searched and could not find this answer.

The auto-presenting driver door works great when I approach the car by myself, or when my wife approaches the car by herself. As soon as we are both near the car together, each carrying our own key fob, the drivers door goes bonkers. Opening and closing unexpectedly and unpredictably. Seems like Tesla has some work to do figuring out how to ignore one of the key fobs when there are two near the car.

I'm on the latest 2.15.50 firmware and this has been an issue since we picked up the car last week with 2.15.16 firmware. I'm going to disable auto-presenting door again until the issue is fixed. Anybody else see this behavior?

• Helpful
Reactions: loganintx
I think I've figured out how to get my auto-presenting driver door to work consistently... and also to fail consistently. It's so obvious that I'm sure it's been mentioned here before but I searched and could not find this answer.

The auto-presenting driver door works great when I approach the car by myself, or when my wife approaches the car by herself. As soon as we are both near the car together, each carrying our own key fob, the drivers door goes bonkers. Opening and closing unexpectedly and unpredictably. Seems like Tesla has some work to do figuring out how to ignore one of the key fobs when there are two near the car.

I'm on the latest 2.15.50 firmware and this has been an issue since we picked up the car last week with 2.15.16 firmware. I'm going to disable auto-presenting door again until the issue is fixed. Anybody else see this behavior?

I noticed if you are working in your garage within a certain range of the Model X door it will constantly open and close. After I turned-off this feature, my X still kept deploying the spoiler and retracting it. It's not a normal "use case" for me, since I was clearing an adjoining garage space so my forlorn and all-but-forgotten ICE Benz could return to the garage! :D

More concerning was when I exited my X to feed a parking meter. My wife was sitting in the front passenger seat with her key fob in her purse. The door suddenly opened wide when I was standing in front of the parking meter. A bicyclist or another vehicle could have slammed into the autonomously-opened door. After that episode, I always disable this feature before driving to a city with on-street parking. I wonder if the software checks all ultrasonic sensors on that side of the car and the HD rear camera before autonomously opening?

Other than that, it's a useful feature since you get to keep both hands free in case your carrying items into your X.

When I got the car the drivers door would present for one fob but not the other and this turned out to be quite convenient because I would grab the non-presenting fob if I wanted to work on or near the car and the presenting fob if I was going for a ride. After a recent OTA update both fobs open the door; I'm thinking about asking the service center if they can unfix that.