Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Presenting Front Door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
jason,
i haven't had any such behavior that you're describing. i do regularly get the door to open differently depending on where is senses I am coming from-- shallow open on approach from the front and wider open when approaching from the trunk. if i'm hanging out in front of the car, after closing the door and exiting, it seems to have the software programmed to "ignore" the key a little more. let us know if a reset fixes your issue.

e

yes, i did have that happen and the door partially popped open while I was talking to someone. After I walked far enough away, the door just closed itself. One thing I wish the car had was a way to open the trunk hands-free such as a foot wave under the bumper...but that's another discussion elsewhere

I think vandacca was referring to a very old conversation about the falcon wing doors, after the prototype reveal but well before release. There was a cyclist decapitation discussion which was slightly heated, if I recall correctly. :smile:

Yes, perhaps I should have provided more of the back-story in my original post. There was someone who was adamant that cyclists would be decapitated by these falcon doors and had tons of calculations and drawings to prove it. IIRC, it was long before the reveal event in September 2015, so many of the details hadn't even been yet released about their operation.

He was trying to get this issue fixed with so much vigor, that it would make the vegan investor's efforts (at the annual meeting) pale in comparison.

I think vandacca was referring to a very old conversation about the falcon wing doors, after the prototype reveal but well before release. There was a cyclist decapitation discussion which was slightly heated, if I recall correctly. :smile:

Yes, perhaps I should have provided more of the back-story in my original post. There was someone who was adamant that cyclists would be decapitated by these falcon doors and had tons of calculations and drawings to prove it. IIRC, it was long before the reveal event in September 2015, so many of the details hadn't even been yet released about their operation.

He was trying to get this issue fixed with so much vigor, that it would make the vegan investor's efforts (at the annual meeting) pale in comparison.

I don't think it was anything to lose your head over...

My Driver's door seems to get a mind of its own, opening and then shutting - especially if there is a key close by. I have also found that if I open the door, to lean in and get something out, it tries to close it on me. Mark Z - or others - do you notice any of this type of behavior? Maybe I just need to reboot!

It's almost to the point of turning the feature off.
Jasonsc, are you experiencing this in your garage or another common parking location? Does it occur at other locations?

I find that my door acts normal in wide open locations, like the photo in post 39. At the home garage, there are some boxes that are seen by the sensors, and the door may open on occasion, then shake back a slight amount with the current software. It's as if it doesn't know what to do! That is a new condition that could be caused by a Falcon Wing Door sensor near the driver door that gives false data at times according to the Service Center.

Before Tesla Motors replaced my driver door latch, the door would either not open on occasion (requiring the pull on the chrome trim) or worse, couldn't latch shut. It would take several attempts (and one time 20 minutes) for the door to latch where I could drive. That was due to a defective door latch and the problem has been solved to always latching and only one pull needed in a week.

The only time the driver door closed on me is when I pulled the handle inside early or pressed the brake pedal with my foot while standing outside (it was a handy way to occasionally turn on the headlights after exiting the car at night).

On Friday I saw two new Model X at the Service Center being prepped. The technicians will now get to experience the quality of recent deliveries and that may assist with the future work done on my vehicle.

Jasonsc, are you experiencing this in your garage or another common parking location? Does it occur at other locations?

I find that my door acts normal in wide open locations, like the photo in post 39. At the home garage, there are some boxes that are seen by the sensors, and the door may open on occasion, then shake back a slight amount with the current software. It's as if it doesn't know what to do! That is a new condition that could be caused by a Falcon Wing Door sensor near the driver door that gives false data at times according to the Service Center.

It seems to be mostly at my garage, but it is wide open to the left of the car (other car was out of the garage). It literally tries to shut on me as I am standing in the doorway. I am going to pull it out into the open at my office and see what it does. I'm heading into the SC tomorrow as they need to work on a door alignment issue for me as the front door/FWD are offset a bit. It could be this - I know they ordered a new latch. Sometimes the door slams mighty hard and I have had issues with the door not latching.

I'll report some more and maybe try to take a video or two if it continues to do it. The good news is the FWDs are acting MUCH better with the sw update.

It would be nice if TM allowed you to turn off Auto-present at some locations. As I said, when the key was in my wife's purse and she was trying to leave the house, the door must have opened and shut 15 times before I finally took the spare key out of her purse. That's not good.

...It would be nice if TM allowed you to turn off Auto-present at some locations...
I thought it would be a problem when the parking lights flashed every time I walked by Model X in the garage.

I since have learned to pull the key fob from the shirt pocket and place it in the house to stop the flashing, and now the auto door opening.

The new latch should help. Model X will get better over time with each software update and Service Center visit.

I remember! Wow that discussion seemed like it went on forever. At least now we'll confirm for sure that these are safe doors! (oh no did I restart this debate, sorry!)

[Originally posted in User Interface]

I've found that the auto-presenting doors work fine, except:

I've had to turn the feature off on my X. Each time I approach the car the door opens. It doesn't hit the garage wall, but I have to close it to get past and then open it again.

Today I was installing a seat back protector on the back of the front passenger seat. I had the fob in my pocket, and the driver's door kept opening, closing, opening, closing... It was the final straw for that feature (for me).

...I've had to turn the feature off on my X. Each time I approach the car the door opens. It doesn't hit the garage wall, but I have to close it to get past and then open it again. Today I was installing a seat back protector on the back of the front passenger seat. I had the fob in my pocket, and the driver's door kept opening, closing, opening, closing... It was the final straw for that feature (for me).
That is why I now place the key fob in the home and no longer keep it in my pocket, until I need to drive or access the vehicle.

The auto presenting door is such a treat, it is worth the effort. The only problem is when I climb into Model S, and the door doesn't close when I press the brake. It has happened twice, and I laugh about how fast we get spoiled by all the neat features that Elon Musk wants for our driving pleasure!

Today I was installing a seat back protector on the back of the front passenger seat. I had the fob in my pocket, and the driver's door kept opening, closing, opening, closing... It was the final straw for that feature (for me).

At least you weren't washing your car with a wand wash... With my Model S, it is a little annoying to see the handles pop in and out (also wear and tear), I can only imagine how problematic it could be if the door opened while you were shooting water right at it (especially if you happened to be looking away right then, and thus didn't stop the water immediately).

At least you weren't washing your car with a wand wash... With my Model S, it is a little annoying to see the handles pop in and out (also wear and tear), I can only imagine how problematic it could be if the door opened while you were shooting water right at it (especially if you happened to be looking away right then, and thus didn't stop the water immediately).

So I guess you need to make damn sure you turn it off before entering a car wash, since if you're walking next to it on the other side of the glass it might sense the fob !:crying:

So I guess you need to make damn sure you turn it off before entering a car wash, since if you're walking next to it on the other side of the glass it might sense the fob !:crying:

I was concerned when I first read the car wash comment from Footbag, but... wouldn't the key fob be left in the vehicle during a standard car wash or do the wash companies transfer the key to the end?

Love the latest upgrade except...
1) My wife was entering the passenger door slowly and impatiently I pressed the break pedal causing her door to close pinching her leg.
2) While parking for dinner, I exited with the door closed and my wife (carrying her fob) left the passenger side around the rear and opened the driver door as she walked away.
3) After parking the MX in the garage I proceeded to park another car closely to the MX...suddenly the MX door opened against the car...Oops the fob was in my pocket.
So I turned the auto present off...next day stopping for coffee I left the door open thinking the door would close.

The FWD's work much better as I was having trouble before. The front doors still close with the break pedal even after turning presentation off ( I like this feature). I give this upgrade an A-