Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto presenting handles disabled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of my new 75D. I was told the autopresenting handles are currently disabled and a firmware fix next week is necesssry to turn them back on.

Is this happening to other vehicles as well? Any idea what problem is being solved?

In case this is really simple, are they disabled in your settings? What firmware are you on?

Haven't seen any discussion of this!

They could have meant the new security setting, and are proactively setting that off so you need to use the fob, but I hope they would have explained it... or loaded the update, if you don't already have it?

Did you try "settings" on the center screen console to enable autopresenting door handles?

So there is a new firmware version to fix it, eh? That implies your current firmware doesn't support it. As far as I know all the current firmware supports it. So you'd have to have an oddball special version none of the rest of us have, or that info may be incorrect.

Which firmware are you using? My version is in my signature line below. I'd suggest you try the center console settings and see if you can enable it that way.

Reactions: Moshne
Is your "Passive Entry" on or off in the setting screen? This is a new feature whereby you have to press your key twice to unlock the car.
17.36 (the important part of OP's firmware) is the newest firmware that almost no one has.... Be surprised if the SC knows about a bug already!

And Passive Entry is what I was thinking of... It's the security feature to make you use the fob by hand to get the doors to present.

That is not a bug, it's definitely a feature to prevent MITM repeater attacks.

upload_2017-9-15_18-5-9.png

I’ve got the same 2017.36 1b27c6d in my car delivered on Monday. The auto presenting door handles were working fine, but I didn’t like that the car was turning itself on whenever I would approach it in my garage, so I went ahead and disabled this feature in settings. But for some reason, I cannot open the car by just pressing the door handles (with the key-fob in my pocket): this works in some cases, but not too often. So I have to use the double-click on the key-fob to open the car (which works every time). Is this normal? I thought pressing the door handle is supposed to open the car. Am I doing something wrong?

I’ve got the same 2017.36 1b27c6d in my car delivered on Monday. The auto presenting door handles were working fine, but I didn’t like that the car was turning itself on whenever I would approach it in my garage, so I went ahead and disabled this feature in settings. But for some reason, I cannot open the car by just pressing the door handles (with the key-fob in my pocket): this works in some cases, but not too often. So I have to use the double-click on the key-fob to open the car (which works every time). Is this normal? I thought pressing the door handle is supposed to open the car. Am I doing something wrong?
Having basically the same issue. I did NOT disable the self presenting handles, but if I manually lock the doors I often can't back in by pressing the handles. I must double click the fob. I just got delivery yesterday, but this is our 2nd Model S. So I'm familiar with how it normally works and the different settings. Anyone have any ideas?

Did you disable auto-presenting? Or passive entry?

If you want to touch the handles -

Auto-presenting Off
Passive entry ON

Also,if the car is locked (which it normally will be locked), you have to touch a front door handle first.

• Informative
Reactions: DriveMe
Hmm... I’ll have to check on the Passive entry tomorrow (the car is currently at a shop being wrapped with XPEL).
I don’t think I changed that setting, and if I remember correctly it was grayed out before I disabled the Auto-presenting.

To change passive entry setting, the car needs to be “started” and in park. So if it’s grayed, the key needs to be in the car or double click the center of the key fob.

Also, with passive off. A click to unlock will open the doors and enable starting within 15-30 seconds. If foot isn’t placed on the brake in that time, it will take another double click.

Edit to fix overzealous spelling corrections

Reactions: DriveMe
Upon further testing, it seems only the front passenger door handle doesn't work properly. Auto-Present: On, Passive Entry: On, Door Unlock Mode: All

Firmware 2017.38 f87c64d5

When approaching car all handles present as normal. But when cars handles go back in (whether car is locked or not) only the driver door handle responds to pressing.

In my old car S70 AP1 all 4 handles responded to pressing. But others have indicated only front handles respond in their cars. So my best guess now is that there is a problem with my front passenger door handle sensor. Either that or an odd software bug.

Upon further testing, it seems only the front passenger door handle doesn't work properly. Auto-Present: On, Passive Entry: On, Door Unlock Mode: All

Firmware 2017.38 f87c64d5

When approaching car all handles present as normal. But when cars handles go back in (whether car is locked or not) only the driver door handle responds to pressing.

In my old car S70 AP1 all 4 handles responded to pressing. But others have indicated only front handles respond in their cars. So my best guess now is that there is a problem with my front passenger door handle sensor. Either that or an odd software bug.

Do you have your cell phone near your key fob? If so, it can make passive entry and auto present work intermittently.

Did you disable auto-presenting? Or passive entry?
If you want to touch the handles -

Auto-presenting Off
Passive entry ON

Ok, I just checked my settings. Here is what I have:

DoorSettings.jpg

And here is what happens (2017.36 1b27c6d), just reproduced it this morning:

1. I park and exit the car with the key-fob in my pocket (not close to the cell phone)
2. I walk away from the car, the doors lock.
3. A little later I approach the car again and push the driver's door handle: nothing happens.
4. I push the handle on another door: still nothing.
5. I then pull out the key-fob and unlock the car with a double-click. Door handles present as expected.

Is this normal?

P.S. there is a new software update pending. I set it to install tonight. I'll see if it makes a difference tomorrow.

Last edited:
And here is what happens (2017.36 1b27c6d), just reproduced it this morning:

1. I park and exit the car with the key-fob in my pocket (not close to the cell phone)
2. I walk away from the car, the doors lock.
3. A little later I approach the car again and push the driver's door handle: nothing happens.
4. I push the handle on another door: still nothing.
5. I then pull out the key-fob and unlock the car with a double-click. Door handles present as expected.

Is this normal?

P.S. there is a new software update pending. I set it to install tonight. I'll see if it makes a difference tomorrow.

No, that is not normal. At least it does not match what my car does. I usually leave the car just as you have setup on weekends, when I am walking through the garage a lot. It keeps the handle dance from happening so much. If I press gently on the handle it presents.

Since they mentioned a firmware fix, I'm guessing there is some sort of new hardware in your car?

Mystery Solved! We discovered the front passenger handle will present when we push it kinda hard. Perhaps this is the same issue other folks are having? Not a big deal for us now that we know what to do. I'm sure Tesla can adjust or replace the handle.

Mystery Solved! We discovered the front passenger handle will present when we push it kinda hard. Perhaps this is the same issue other folks are having? Not a big deal for us now that we know what to do. I'm sure Tesla can adjust or replace the handle.

I believe there are microswitches for the push and pull of the door handles. There may be some adjustment of these. I've noticed my rear passenger side handle needs a slightly harder pull to open than the others, but I'm not too worried about it. I'd be more worried about the SC causing some other problem (squeaks or rattles) trying to fix it.