Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto profile selection chooses incorrectly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone else is seeing this... the auto profile selection works great when either my wife are I are alone. Always picks the right profile upon unlocking.

But when we are together it almost always selects the passenger. We’ve done some experiments with walking up to the car together as well as the driver walking up a bit ahead of the passenger. Nearly always, it chooses the passenger.

Does anyone know how this works? I’m guessing it uses the Bluetooth receivers and signal strength to figure out which side of the car you are on. If so, maybe it’s backwards for RHD cars?

Reactions: Bibliophile
It is fun at times when you have 2 (or more) drivers in the car, each with their phones associated with a profile.
Driving by yourself, it seems to work well. My wife and I are nearly 8" different in height, so there's a substantial difference in the profile settings.

An example of fun, is when we are both in the car and I'm driving and we stop to Supercharge. When I return to the car, its has associated itself to my wife's phone and then the seat starts adjusting to her settings when I open the driver's door to get back into the car. ;)

As an experiment, we tried swapping phones and also walking up to different sides of the car to see what happens and almost always it chooses the phone that is on the passenger side. Not 100% but nearly. So that's why I wondered if perhaps it's a RHD thing or maybe it's just something to do with our car.

Yeah, I just read the thread you linked. From our experiments though I don't think it's just who gets there first as we've played around with that. Might try a few more experiments this weekend to see if we can figure it out.

We're similar enough in height, etc so for us it's not a big deal but a curiosity. And it works well when there is just one of us so we'll leave it enabled.

If the car is regularly choosing the phone on the passenger side as the active profile, contact your local service center. They can probably enter it as a priority bug report. This could easily be a programming error in this new feature that is not accounting for RHD vs. LHD.

"contact your local service center". Yeah, good luck with that right now! They haven't recovered from the TM3 rush. I've been trying to get the roof racks ordered (no online accessory store here so have to order via service), 2 months and counting so far.

Played around with this a bit yesterday and it seems to be pretty reproducible. We also swapped phones and determined it isn’t the phone causing it. The scenario is two people with phone keys walk up to the car together (one on each side). The passenger opens the door and the profile switches to theirs rather than the driver.

It may be the 3 is mainly designed for left hand drive and yes my 3 does the same with my wife's iPhone and it will not change to my iPhone when I'm in the drivers seat. I haven't worked out how to change the cars bluetooth iPhone selection.
That’s in the media app. Click on Phone as a media source and you can then choose a different phone from the device list. Or you can click on the Bluetooth symbol on the top left of the main screen and select a device.

Wondering if anyone else is seeing this... the auto profile selection works great when either my wife are I are alone. Always picks the right profile upon unlocking.

But when we are together it almost always selects the passenger. We’ve done some experiments with walking up to the car together as well as the driver walking up a bit ahead of the passenger. Nearly always, it chooses the passenger.

Does anyone know how this works? I’m guessing it uses the Bluetooth receivers and signal strength to figure out which side of the car you are on. If so, maybe it’s backwards for RHD cars?
Did you ever sort this?

I have 2 identical iPhones and both are used as Tesla keys but one phone (not mine) ALWAYS 100% connects to the car and auto-sets the profile. It’s driving me nuts - it’s my car for heaven’s sake.

I can walk to the car with both phones and the “wrong” phone always connects to the car. I then have to get in and manually select the other profile.

Did you ever sort this?

I have 2 identical iPhones and both are used as Tesla keys but one phone (not mine) ALWAYS 100% connects to the car and auto-sets the profile. It’s driving me nuts - it’s my car for heaven’s sake.

I can walk to the car with both phones and the “wrong” phone always connects to the car. I then have to get in and manually select the other profile.

Still same for us too. But there might be hope... I read that 2020.40.3 has "Priority Bluetooth Device" and maybe that will work for profile selection too. But haven't received this update yet to confirm.

2020.40.3 Official Tesla Release Notes - Tesla Software Updates

Screenshot 2020-10-10 104627.png

I sorted it by removing my wife's phone from her profile.
She drives it 10% of the time, so I thought she can set it manually when she drives those 10%, rather than me setting it to my profile 90% of the time I drive.