Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto profile selection chooses incorrectly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any way to upvote/escalate this issue? I find this the most pressing quality of life issue with this car right now. I was really expecting 2020.40 to resolve it but it seems it's just for audio. It's so annoying that it ALWAYS selects my wifes profile and I end up with crushed legs because she's a midget. I NEED this to be fixed.

Is there any fix for this? I know it’s kinda minute in the current situation but it’s driving me to distraction.

Every single time I walk to MY car with my partner the bloody thing defaults to them. Their profile is selected. Their seat position. Their everting.

Both of us have exactly the same iPhone on the same software version.

I can walk to my car 2 seconds ahead of my partner and it still changes to their profile.

I've given up and finally done what was suggested by Anubis in this thread... I switched my wife's phone to my profile. Most times, I drive so optimising for that case. But it means she will always have to manually select her profile. However, it is wrong so often we were both doing that most times anyway.

Not sure how to escalate a bug report. It won't be via this forum

Just been out for a meal with my partner.

I walk to the car and everything is good. 30 seconds later my partner walks to the car and the car swaps to their profile :mad:x10

We get home and I delete the Tesla app from my phone. I reinstall the app and it asks me to re-pair the key.

Now I walk to my car with both phones in my pocket and low and behold the car no longer jumps to my partner’s profile. Tried it 4 times and it was good every time.

Here’s hoping.

Interesting. But does that mean that yours is now the priority phone/profile and so your partner has the same problem as you had before?

But admittedly that would be enough for us, the problem is quite asymmetric for us.
Yes. It was mostly wrong before but not always. Now it's consistent and predictable. And since I drive most of the time it's probably better this way for us until it gets fixed

And now it’s back to choosing the wrong profile 100% of the time when walking up to the car with my partner.

I seriously wonder how on earth FSD is ever going to work when they are so utterly sh1t at some of the most basic of things. I’ve had 2 Teslas over 4 ½ years and this stuff isn’t improving.
  • Correct profile selection
  • Auto wipers
  • Phantom braking
  • Voice recognition
  • Auto lane change when lorry in the slow lane
  • Frequent NOAP dropouts.
  • Frequent camera blinded or blocked messages.
Like so many I love my car and wouldn’t swap it but some tiny things are infuriating to live with.

You guys should try some gentlemanly conduct. Approach the passenger side first and open that door for your partner. It should select your profile if it's a RHD/LHD bug. Hopefully it would not switch back when they approach and get in. Worth trying?
It's a bit weird in that it knows which side is the drivers side, so it doesn't apply the profile settings until the drivers side door is opened. However, if there's a phone linked to a profile on the left side, it will apply that phones profile

I think I may have found the bug!

In the U.K. whoever walks up to the PASSENGER (left) side sets the profile.

Because I always drive the profile sets to my partner - the passenger.

Today as a trial I walked to the passenger door and the profile set to me.

When this was confirmed I walked back round to the driver’s door and the profile swapped to my partner again who had moved to the passenger door.

This would also explain why nobody in America is seeing this problem!

I think I may have found the bug!

In the U.K. whoever walks up to the PASSENGER (left) side sets the profile.

Because I always drive the profile sets to my partner - the passenger.

Today as a trial I walked to the passenger door and the profile set to me.

When this was confirmed I walked back round to the driver’s door and the profile swapped to my partner again who had moved to the passenger door.

This would also explain why nobody in America is seeing this problem!

This is what many suspect. Though there seem to be plenty of people with LHD cars who report less than 100% accuracy as well...

So interestingly, this has started working perfectly for me. As of 2020.40.9 (I think). Will keep an eye on it and let you know, but it seems that it now honors the "priority device" setting so it's not just used for audio. Will keep investigating and let you know if anything changes.