Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Retractor for Charging Cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took a look at the link you provided, the quality of this alternate is no where near what I have installed IMHO. Also $370 (yes Canadian) is a great deal for the quality of the product and the function it performs.

I can't tell much about the retractor you have since it's enclosed in a sheet metal box. I too was looking for something more affordable and have always had excellent results ordering from McMaster-Carr. Their products are industrial quality from my experience. I like the bracket you have attached to the cable and was planning on using something similar. The light mount brackets I have on my Jeep's roof rack look very similar.

Thank you for posting your solution. I didn't realize the end of the charging cable was so fragile but it makes sense that it won't survive many falls on concrete. Based on what you've done I will building something similar as I don't want to risk damaging my new charger.

Have my cable retractor installed (pictures following) and it works as advertised. The unit is commercial quality and is easy to pull out from the wall to connect to the car (I rented one and had it in my garage) so I am speaking from experience.
Are there any identifying marks, brand/model info, etc on the retractor? Those of us outside of JML's service area could order one from them, but it would probably be cheaper to go to a local supplier and skip the middleman markup.

I suppose I could show these photos to an electrician buddy and see if he knows of anything like it at his supply houses.

- - - Updated - - -

I too was looking for something more affordable and have always had excellent results ordering from McMaster-Carr. Their products are industrial quality from my experience.
Back when I was an engineering student in college, I could get lost in the McMaster-Carr catalog for hours imagining all the cool things I could make. If they don't have it, you don't need it.:smile:

Their prices might have been a bit on the high side, but I never had (or heard from others) any complaints about the quality of their goods.