Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Setting for Windshield Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my Model 3 since March, and in general I think the human factors engineering is pretty good. However, I am amazed that the auto setting for the windshield wipers isn't cancelled when you leave the car. It seems to me that this is just asking for your to forget it's on when, on the next sunny day, you run the car through an automated car wash. Other cars I've owned with rain sensing wipers automatically turned the wipers off when you shut off the car.

I just turn it off when I go to the car wash. Also fold in the mirrors and put it in neutral so it's not that hard to remember and

Really though we should have a car wash button in the service tab that does all that and plays the car wash song.

Reactions: CyberGus
Welcome to TMC, Op....

You will find there is more difference than the one you pointed out in relation to the auto wipers on this car. If you search tmc for "wipers" you will see what I mean.

In any case, the issue you describe has been a non issue for me as it relates to the auto wipers. the other issue, which is basically inconsistent activation in the rain, gets better and worse depending on updates. Its "ok" now but still as good as cars with real rain sensors for this (tesla does not have a rain sensor on the model 3 btw).

I've had my Model 3 since March, and in general I think the human factors engineering is pretty good. However, I am amazed that the auto setting for the windshield wipers isn't cancelled when you leave the car. It seems to me that this is just asking for your to forget it's on when, on the next sunny day, you run the car through an automated car wash. Other cars I've owned with rain sensing wipers automatically turned the wipers off when you shut off the car.

I've never owned a car with auto wipers that "turn themselves off" when you get out.

In our last 2 it was a physical switch to put it in auto (and leave it there) so I'm not sure how it even COULD 'turn itself off'

This was supposed to say "its ok now but still NOT as good as cars with a real rain sensor for this...." Important qualifier got left out when I was typing somehow.
Hey it could be worse, when I got my Model 3 in early 2018 the software wasn't even released for the wipers so all control was done manually!
Still room for improvement but at least they work fairly well now.

Hey it could be worse, when I got my Model 3 in early 2018 the software wasn't even released for the wipers so all control was done manually!
Still room for improvement but at least they work fairly well now.

Oh yeah its much better. I got mine in december of 2018 and its quite a bit better now. Still not as good as a car with a regular rain sensor, but its "decent" now, and since you can use voice control to turn manual on, or set it to various speeds (instead of stabbing at the screen)m I dont mind it as much as I used to.