Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto steer doesn’t change lane [Lane change is part of EAP / FSD]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never use autosteer as it seems more of a hindrance than a help.
For me, when driving at night, autosteer (lane keeping to be exact) is very helpful. I do not need to change lane at night and the road is 90% straight (to my home). The car hesitates a bit when going thru cross section of the road as it cannot see the lane markings. I simply hold tight on the steering to help it for a few seconds than it sees lane markings.
On highway, this feature also help me a lot.

For me, when driving at night, autosteer (lane keeping to be exact) is very helpful. I do not need to change lane at night and the road is 90% straight (to my home). The car hesitates a bit when going thru cross section of the road as it cannot see the lane markings. I simply hold tight on the steering to help it for a few seconds than it sees lane markings.
On highway, this feature also help me a lot.
The whole point of EAP was to make life easy on the highway. Many of the automakers are offering this. Tesla is the one that started to charge a heck of a lot. Sooner or later people are going to get tired of this BS and just go back to ICE. Are Tesla's cheaper in the long run? Well! if you take a look at how quickly the used values drop like a rock, only idiotic people buy it (Includes me unfortunately) Higher Tax, Higher Insurance rates massive drop in value is enough to convince me that this is neither economical or green despite all the hot gas that Musk has been blowing.

Tesla is the one that started to charge a heck of a lot. Sooner or later people are going to get tired of this BS and just go back to ICE. Are Tesla's cheaper in the long run? Well! if you take a look at how quickly the used values drop like a rock, only idiotic people buy it (Includes me unfortunately) Higher Tax, Higher Insurance rates massive drop in value is enough to convince me that this is neither economical or green despite all the hot gas that Musk has been blowing.
I agreed. The reason I bought Tesla is mainly to enjoy driving an EV, first time in my life, not because of the expense. At least a few things count: charging at home, no oil change, quiet driving, adaptive cruise, lane keeping. I do not have any of these in my 11 yrs old KIA Sedona minivan or 16 yrs old Honda Accord (SOLD).
Plan to buy a Chevrolet Bolt EV for my wife but she love the minivan just because it's convenient in many rare scenarios: driving long trips, transporting large items or upto 6 passengers.
To convince us that Tesla is economical, Tesla must: cut down on the price of the car, the extra features and very importantly repair and part costs to be in par with ICE cars.
Am I wrong to expect battery replacement will go way down in the next 5 years ?

Hi, I'm a little late to this party. I hope someone can clear up some of my uncertainty. Until Feb this year, I had a 2015 MS with AP HW 1 w/ Convenience Features, Tech Package with Autopilot (plus other feature not relevant to question), bought in 2018. It was able to Auto Lane Change on Autosteer. In Dec 2023, I bought a new 2023 MS. FSD along with EAP was enabled in trial mode. That trial has now ended. I also lost Auto Lane Change which apparently is part of EAP.

Question: Was the Tech Package the reason I had the Auto Lane Change in my 2015 or was that always part of AP on those models? Because that is what I miss most about the EAP features. I have some serious thinking to decide if it's even worth the $6K to upgrade to EAP. Although, I might like the NOA feature to play with.

Hi, I'm a little late to this party. I hope someone can clear up some of my uncertainty. Until Feb this year, I had a 2015 MS with AP HW 1 w/ Convenience Features, Tech Package with Autopilot (plus other feature not relevant to question), bought in 2018. It was able to Auto Lane Change on Autosteer. In Dec 2023, I bought a new 2023 MS. FSD along with EAP was enabled in trial mode. That trial has now ended. I also lost Auto Lane Change which apparently is part of EAP.

Question: Was the Tech Package the reason I had the Auto Lane Change in my 2015 or was that always part of AP on those models? Because that is what I miss most about the EAP features. I have some serious thinking to decide if it's even worth the $6K to upgrade to EAP. Although, I might like the NOA feature to play with.

You probably want to ask in the model S subforum the question on what feature was a part of what package on legacy (2015) model S.

On model 3 and Y, auto lane change has always been a part of EAP / FSD. I am not familiar with what came on the old model S.

If you're only interested in auto lane change, instead of paying $6k for EAP, I'd suggest doing some research into S3XY buttons. They added a functionality early this year called "continuous autopilot", where AP re-engages after you signal and move into the target lane. It doesn't move the car for you, but I've really enjoyed having this feature and I kind of rather do the lane changing myself anyway. I think it's under $300 for a set of buttons and the commander unit, so way less than EAP and it comes with a ton of other cool features normally not accessible in the car, although more of those are available for 3/Y than S/X.

If you're only interested in auto lane change, instead of paying $6k for EAP, I'd suggest doing some research into S3XY buttons. They added a functionality early this year called "continuous autopilot", where AP re-engages after you signal and move into the target lane. It doesn't move the car for you, but I've really enjoyed having this feature and I kind of rather do the lane changing myself anyway. I think it's under $300 for a set of buttons and the commander unit, so way less than EAP and it comes with a ton of other cool features normally not accessible in the car, although more of those are available for 3/Y than S/X.
Thats actually not bad and would solve my biggest annoyance with the car on long trips. I wish Tesla would offer it native to the car (like every other manufacturer under the sun).

Reactions: arvindm
Thats actually not bad and would solve my biggest annoyance with the car on long trips. I wish Tesla would offer it native to the car (like every other manufacturer under the sun).
Yeah, I agree that something like this should have been included with basic AP in the first place. For someone like me who have been using S3XY buttons for almost 2 years, it was a free firmware update to get continuous AP, so that was pretty awesome. I think it’s as nice as anything we’ve gotten from Tesla software updates.

BTW, I didn’t even realize how ridiculous the $6k for EAP is until recently, when my mom got a BMW iX. Their driver assist plus package is $2300 and has hands off highway driving and auto park. EAP really should be $1k tops.

Reactions: Tha_Ape
Yeah, I agree that something like this should have been included with basic AP in the first place. For someone like me who have been using S3XY buttons for almost 2 years, it was a free firmware update to get continuous AP, so that was pretty awesome. I think it’s as nice as anything we’ve gotten from Tesla software updates.

BTW, I didn’t even realize how ridiculous the $6k for EAP is until recently, when my mom got a BMW iX. Their driver assist plus package is $2300 and has hands off highway driving and auto park. EAP really should be $1k tops.
I agree and i would bet that they would sell more than 6 times as many EAP packages if the price was lower.

And yes, in the years to come they will need to make these functions standard on all Tesla's, as the competition includes this as standard.

The whole "You need to pay $6000 for the car to be able to make lane changes without disengaging the AP" is really silly.

My bog standard 2016 GM car with lane assist had as standard, if i indicated to change to another lane, the lane keeper would be supressed until i had changed lanes and the automatically re-engage.

That system was not suited for "self drive" as it would only correct when "hitting" a line, but still, if GM offered a system that could re-engage as standard in a 2016 car, it seems foolish, that Tesla would want to be paid $6000 for the same feature in 2024.

I had a 2010 prius. I got it used, but the tech package was $5k. That gave the car LED headlights (remember... 2010), radar cruise, lane keep assist (had camera to see lane lines), auto park assist, and pre-collision stuff like auto- tightening seatbelts if it senseda collision could be imminent.

It required slightly more interaction, the lane keeping would work on the highway, but you couldn't take your hands off the wheel for more than 10sec. The park assist told you what to do to find a spot (ie drive slowly forward... put car in reverse... but it did all the steering for you).

Even back then the lane keeping would turn back on after making a lame change. :D I couldn't bring myself to paying 6k for it on the Tesla though. The lane keeping was the best part (comes standard in the Tesla) and I'm not sure EAP adds enough to justify it. They should get rid of EAP, make FSD $6K and watch sales soar