Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto steer Not ready for prime time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for spoken instructions like what the nav does. I recognize that not all will like that but it would be a nice option.
Do you mean like when it suggests to change lane to a faster lane that it'll verbally say "confirm lane change to a faster lane"?

In the future, the lane changes will be automatic. So that's going to be scary when people first start using it.

Do you mean like when it suggests to change lane to a faster lane that it'll verbally say "confirm lane change to a faster lane"?

In the future, the lane changes will be automatic. So that's going to be scary when people first start using it.

Yup, that's what I meant. Basically any autopilot-related message asking me to read something on screen. I don't know how Tesla plans to implement the automatic lane change, but I assume automatic lane changes will be an optional setting until they can do full self driving. I would want this verbal alert to be optional as well. When full self driving is operational and out of beta, I would no longer expect voice prompts. I just don't like having to take my eyes off the road when autopilot is at its current stage of development.

Reactions: OPRCE
So is the Beta disclaimer to tell customers that it's a work in progress that's going to get better over time and they should be patient when it doesn't work well? Have Tesla gone on the record to state what their reasoning is for Beta disclaimer?

Because if that's your yardstick then pretty much every piece of computer software made in the last 10+ years should carry a beta moniker for the life of the product.

10X if the software under discussion is a MSFT or Google product.

Software release life cycle - Wikipedia

Yes I have worked in software development which is why I would categorize Tesla’s offering more as “early introduction” than Beta.

Products don’t stay in a Beta for 2+ years, they go GA or they get scrapped.
Guess you didn't bother to actually read the link.

"Some software is kept in perpetual beta, where new features and functionality are continually added to the software without establishing a final "stable" release."

I am on a 30 day trial of the auto steer so I took the opportunity to try it out on a 700+ mile round trip from Phoenix to San Diego. The route is nearly all interstate 75mph in Az and 70mph in Ca. Observations:
1. The "put pressure on the wheel" occurs about 3x/mile a real pia
2. When you go by a ramp entering the freeway and you lose the right lane line the car will veer to the right trying to center itself in the temporary extra wide lane. Unsettling, especially for the passenger who is seeing the car move right toward the shoulder.
3. Lane change was the only real excitement of the trip. Sometimes the car would go into a wobble moving left then right over and over not knowing if it was safe to change lanes. Only way to stop it was grab wheel and disengage. The color of the lane marker seemed to set it off. One time this happened with freshly striped black asphalt. This alone was a deal breaker.
4. When it did successfully change lanes, I found the rate of change too fast. Not good for tire wear and uncomfortable for passengers.
5. Self steering was very good when not changing lanes as long as there were visible stripes on each side of the road.

Don't know if Tesla engineers monitor this site or data automatically uploads to Tesla when a failure occurs but these items need to be addressed. It's fun to try out these new features but there comes a point where you have to question using your customer base as beta testers.
I agree it’s not ready for prime time. But it will get better with the new faster hardware which will allow better software to solve these problems. Tesla uses video much more than other auto steer, which will depend more on LIDAR and gps. I like Tesla’s approach because it is closer to what humans will do. But still needs some evolvement.

• Disagree
Reactions: Electroman
Don't know if Tesla engineers monitor this site or data automatically uploads to Tesla when a failure occurs but these items need to be addressed. It's fun to try out these new features but there comes a point where you have to question using your customer base as beta testers.

Take a look in your settings. Everything you do is being recorded/filmed and shared with TESLA engineering to make the product better. You can opt out if you like too. Enjoy the journey!

I am on a 30 day trial of the auto steer so I took the opportunity to try it out on a 700+ mile round trip from Phoenix to San Diego. The route is nearly all interstate 75mph in Az and 70mph in Ca. Observations:
2. When you go by a ramp entering the freeway and you lose the right lane line the car will veer to the right trying to center itself in the temporary extra wide lane. Unsettling, especially for the passenger who is seeing the car move right toward the shoulder.
3. Lane change was the only real excitement of the trip. Sometimes the car would go into a wobble moving left then right over and over not knowing if it was safe to change lanes. Only way to stop it was grab wheel and disengage. The color of the lane marker seemed to set it off. One time this happened with freshly striped black asphalt. This alone was a deal breaker.
4. When it did successfully change lanes, I found the rate of change too fast. Not good for tire wear and uncomfortable for passengers.
5. Self steering was very good when not changing lanes as long as there were visible stripes on each side of the road.

Disclaimer: I am on 2018.46.2.

Auto steer is flawless for me. The car keeps me in the lane perfectly in mild and sharp turns. I am still impressed when I come to a sharp bend in an off ramp exit, the car automatically slows down to 30 mph and the steering wheel moves on its own as the car flawlessly takes the sharp bend and straightens out in the end.

To your points:
1. Yeah, the nag can be a pia at first but once you learn how easy it is to dismiss, it is not a big deal.
2. That was a problem before NavonAP. I believe it is fixed now.
3. I think that happened to me only once in all my driving and it was when I did not push down hard enough on the turn stalk. 99% of my auto lane changes are flawless and smooth.
4. Again, my auto lane changes are very smooth.
5. EAP does prefer clear lane markings yes.

My experience, EAP is excellent. I use it all the time.

We've had an AP2 vehicle since March 2017. The early AutoSteer software was pretty bad - ping-ponging from side-to-side in lanes and making abrupt lane changes. Over time, AutoSteer has improved, and under normal driving conditions with clear lane markings, it now works pretty well, at least most of the time.

Based on the progress over the past year, AutoSteer has improved, lane changes are smoother, and it's able to better track lane lines, in more situations.

However...

This is still "beta" software - and we treat it as an experienced student driver, still trying to learn how to drive - and are ready to take over operations at any time, because we don't yet trust the software 100% - especially to react to unusual circumstances (such as construction zones with inconsistent road markings or tight lanes).

If you're planning to keep your Tesla for 4-8 years (or 75-100K miles), during that time, Tesla will continue improving the software, and based on the rate of improvement over the last 12 months, we're comfortable with what we spent on activating EAP on our 2017 S and 2018 X.

I don’t need EAP. I had the trial and found it useless for $5500 for my area of little highway driving but TACC and summon I did use. It would be smart if you could buy features and not just lump it all together for people like me that don’t care about navigation on autopilot . In fact, I Use the adaptive cruise control and auto park on my JEEP SRT more than I ever use navigation !

Reactions: Leeclanual
OP is correct. The easiest thing to fix about #2, which is the issue bothering me the most, is DON'T TRACK TO THE RIGHT LANE PAINT. Tesla should track on the LEFT lane paint when on a two lane road especially. Left exits are considered very poor civil engineering (Florida civil engineers among the worst), so tracking to left is a much better protocol. Why the unnecessary veering to the right when an exit appears? My M3 has squawked several times, doing an emergency hand-off to me, when for some bad reason it drifts to the exit then realizes its mistake, forcing me to take over before I hit a jersey barrier. Elon, simple fix, track to the left line!

#1 it's beta
#2 the positive pressure on wheel it to insure driver does not think it's real self driving, which is a legal restriction.
#3 it works way better than not, slowing for an exit can be accomplished by clicking 'downward' on the right hand thumb wheel.
#4 positive pressure can be down quite comfortably with one hand, maybe 1 lb of pressure or less.
#5 the 30 days trial DOES provide valuable information to the developers on most crucial improvements to make.
#6 purchasing the option guarantees you to get the fix as soon as it's included in a new drop.

It is an amazing feature worth every penny. Is it perfect....no ....... worth it.....absolutely it is. On a rainy wet day I was on auto steer and used my indicator to change lane (in other words gave the command to the auto steer to change lanes) on a city street. The car had trouble recognizing the lanes from the reflecting lights (reflecting on the road, the street lights) and it did the dance, so to speak, while deciding if it is safe to change the lane or not.....eventually it did change and felt very safe that it does not change lanes without being 100% sure......unnerving for some, sure.......one has to get used to it.......just like anything in life.

It is an amazing feature worth every penny. Is it perfect....no ....... worth it.....absolutely it is. On a rainy wet day I was on auto steer and used my indicator to change lane (in other words gave the command to the auto steer to change lanes) on a city street. The car had trouble recognizing the lanes from the reflecting lights (reflecting on the road, the street lights) and it did the dance, so to speak, while deciding if it is safe to change the lane or not.....eventually it did change and felt very safe that it does not change lanes without being 100% sure......unnerving for some, sure.......one has to get used to it.......just like anything in life.

The only good about any of it is auto cruise control in traffic. Even then it's jerky.

From my experience it's better than an average driver on the freeway. Much better.

Reactions: wcorey