Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto steer requiring a firm grip all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model 3 is giving me “issues” with auto steer, it’s requiring a firm grip on the steering wheel at ALL times. If I lift a finger to use the turn signal it starts to complain about keeping hands on the steering wheel. Anyone else having this issue? Running 2022.16.2. I usually use just my left hand between the 6 and 9 o’clock position to drive. This behavior started around a month ago. Prior to that I could even let go of the steering wheel for some time without any warning from auto steer, not that I would do that.

First it doesn't "know" if you have your hands on the wheel, a firm or loose grip or even if you have removed them. The confirmation is done by a torque sensor and requires a torquing force to confirm (not grip pressure or capacitance). The interval it requires for a confirmation seems to be related somewhat to the car's speed but seems to change at times. You will learn how to torque it at the correct time as you use it and how long you have.

Reactions: BnGrm
First it doesn't "know" if you have your hands on the wheel, a firm or loose grip or even if you have removed them. The confirmation is done by a torque sensor and requires a torquing force to confirm (not grip pressure or capacitance). The interval it requires for a confirmation seems to be related somewhat to the car's speed but seems to change at times. You will learn how to torque it at the correct time as you use it and how long you have.
I have had the car for 3 years and I have been using auto steer regularly. "Something" changed over the past month that is requiring excessive pressure on the steering wheel. I cannot even lift two fingers off to use the turn signal. This is not what happened before.

Your car is either extremely defective or you're confused. What do you mean by "excessive pressure"? Are you able to disengage Autopilot by rotating the wheel? There are no sensors that measure grip strength on the steering wheel, and if you put too much of the "correct" pressure on the steering wheel it should disengage AP.

Its purely based on how much rotational force you are putting on the wheel, not squeezing or pushing the wheel in/out/up/down. Next time you see the blue flashing warning on AP, take a single finger and nudge the steering wheel to the side, as if you're trying to turn the car.

I have had the car for 3 years and I have been using auto steer regularly. "Something" changed over the past month that is requiring excessive pressure on the steering wheel. I cannot even lift two fingers off to use the turn signal. This is not what happened before.
Sounds like an issue with your car. I'd setup an appointment and see what they say when they review your notes. I can confirm this has not changed for me on FSD (public build) and FSD Beta.

Reactions: BitJam