Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto steer temporarily unavailable after supercharging.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had an experience recently with auto steer and all auto pilot FSD-related functionality becoming unavailable after supercharging. This happened more than once and each time was immediately after supercharging to over 80% in the sun on a hot day. Has anyone else heard about or experienced a similar problem? After parking overnight all functionality was restored, but for the entirety of my 2+ hour drive after supercharging, auto pilot was unavailable. I have a 2018 AWD Model 3 with a normal FSD package and HW3 upgrade. Any ideas or thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

What error messages do you see, and which software version do you have? Did you try rebooting?
Cruise control not available

Auto steering temporarily not available

Automatic emergency braking is disabled

I just updated last night to 2022.16.3
(Not sure what I had before that update)

I did not try rebooting. Do you mean holding both thumbwheels down type of rebooting?

Last edited:
A wheel configuration reset should fix this issue. I know it sounds strange, but give it a shot. I was having the same problem, and a two-button reset wouldn’t fix it. Wheel config reset (in the service menu) should do the trick. Just choose another set of wheels in that sub-menu and let the car cycle.

At times, if I'm parked and the sun is hitting (strongly) my cameras, I'll get similar warnings when I get in and drive. It's like the cameras are "blind" from direct, intense sun exposure. I park in my garage, wait just a minute or two and everything works fine.

I've had this happen a handful of times. It isn't related to Supercharging - seems to me to be some glitch in the boot-up of the ADAS system or one of the devices associated with it (radar, a camera). I've found the solution to be to get out of the car and let it go to sleep (usually takes a few minutes - you can tell when the contactors go clunk to disengage the HV system). After it goes to sleep, get back in and it should work. A lunch break usually works best for this.

Note: the car might not go to sleep if it's hot and you have Cabin Overheat Protection or Sentry Mode enabled, or if you have third party apps like TeslaFi, Intelligent Octopus (UK), etc.) that poll the car and keep it awake.