Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto steer tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why does auto steer track so close to the middle line? When passing other vehicles, especially big trucks wobbling in he wind it seems to want to hug right next to them. And on two lane roads seems very eager to hug the center line.

Love it generally, but those aspects are sort of nerve racking.

Also wouldn’t it be a good idea for the car to prompt you to move left into he passing lane when approaching an on-ramp? Seems to really not pick up on other vehicles entering in a disconcerting manner.

Reactions: Gasaraki
you are an edge case. the car is supposed to be in the middle of the lane. i have no issues with this as many others, but i have read on here in other threads started by people who see the same result as you, so its occurring out there.

there is a current thread on here discussing your second point. those cats who have something to say about it will als post here. :p

so the class will know, what's your current firmware version and you've full FSD?

Reactions: FalconFour
I had the same feeling as you. After calibration I enabled autosteer and felt the same way...the car is hugging the left of the lane. For me, it's kind of a feature because I tend to always put a little torque on the wheel towards the right (just in case!) so I always avoid the nag, but it always bothered me.

So one day, my wife happened to be right behind me and I called her up and asked her how far to the left in the lane my car was. She told me I was perfectly centered.

So in my case anyway, even though I feel like the car is hugging the left line, it's merely my perception. I suppose to other drivers on the road (and my passenger), when I am not in autosteer, I am hugging the right side of the lane!

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
I had the same feeling as you. After calibration I enabled autosteer and felt the same way...the car is hugging the left of the lane. For me, it's kind of a feature because I tend to always put a little torque on the wheel towards the right (just in case!) so I always avoid the nag, but it always bothered me.

So one day, my wife happened to be right behind me and I called her up and asked her how far to the left in the lane my car was. She told me I was perfectly centered.

So in my case anyway, even though I feel like the car is hugging the left line, it's merely my perception. I suppose to other drivers on the road (and my passenger), when I am not in autosteer, I am hugging the right side of the lane!

The car generally drives in the center, but lots of people DONT drive in the center... so when the car moves to the center of the lane they feel like its driving left of where "it should be". People move all over the lane, even when they are paying attention (moving away from big trucks for example, hugging the opposite side of the lane when next to a big truck).

TL ; DR -- its definitely not just you. Lots of people do this.

For me the car drives dead center, which is very good in a straight line.

It tries to maintain dead center in the curves, which is not very good if there are neighboring cars, given that human behavior is to hug the inside line. In this case , the car should confirm to traffic and environmental conditions... which it does not.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Interesting to note, the visualization of your car and the lane lines is position-accurate - that is, the display and your car within it should perfectly match the outside world view of your car. It does mine, at least. It also represents accurately, in the visualization, when either you're driving to one side or the other of a lane, or if you're on AP and AP is doing a poor job of staying centered in a curve.

So if you think it's askew, take a look at the visualization in the left-hand driving info area... it'll show if you're centered or not! And yeah, in my experience, AP is great at keeping you centered, even to a fault sometimes... but around curves, it seems to hug a side sometimes uncomfortably - and sometimes even with a wheel on the line! But only in curves, usually...