Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-Summon failing (UK) with 'Key fob needs to be in range of car'

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have tried auto-summon on very occasions and every time, it starts (the lights come on) and then the app says that 'they key fob must be in range of the car. AutoSummon aborted'

I have also tied using keyless access from the app, but the result is the same.

I can not see any inofrmation anywhere on this. Am I doing something wrong?

Thank you for your help.

Andrew

Hi,

I have tried auto-summon on very occasions and every time, it starts (the lights come on) and then the app says that 'they key fob must be in range of the car. AutoSummon aborted'
I have also tied using keyless access from the app, but the result is the same.
I can not see any inofrmation anywhere on this. Am I doing something wrong?
Thank you for your help.
Andrew

How far away from the car are you (and presumably the key) standing? Even enhanced summon will only work within 200 feet.

How far away from the car are you (and presumably the key) standing? Even enhanced summon will only work within 200 feet.

Hi. I am never outside the circle on the app, usually less than 30ft. The key fob’s range seems irrelevant for smart summon. If I have to be in key fob range I might as well get in the car!! Why does it cause an error and how can I get it to work? Thanks

Hi. I am never outside the circle on the app, usually less than 30ft. The key fob’s range seems irrelevant for smart summon. If I have to be in key fob range I might as well get in the car!! Why does it cause an error and how can I get it to work? Thanks

Well, the X key fob has a 2-way comm link to the vehicle. It is possible the standard one-way path from the fob to the car works (unlocks, hatch opens etc) but the path from the car back to the fob is failing or out of range. Does the driver door open properly when you approach the car? Mine has failed twice, both times the "Central Body control module" had to be replaced. That module controls all communication to and from the key fobs. The service center seems to have a devil of a time getting that module programmed after a replacement.

Well, the X key fob has a 2-way comm link to the vehicle. It is possible the standard one-way path from the fob to the car works (unlocks, hatch opens etc) but the path from the car back to the fob is failing or out of range. Does the driver door open properly when you approach the car? Mine has failed twice, both times the "Central Body control module" had to be replaced. That module controls all communication to and from the key fobs. The service center seems to have a devil of a time getting that module programmed after a replacement.
Hi

yes, the door always opens when I approach the car and closes when I leave. What is the range of the Key fob? Why is it needed if you use keyless entry? I would assume if you have access to the app you should be able to summon it?