Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto train?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a thought, has anyone taken their Tesla on the Auto train to FL? My mother lives close to Sanford FL and we have done the trip twice with the kids, not as cheap compared to flying but total cost of trip a little less since no rental car. Is there a big phantom drain when the car is unused for 23hrs?

Still waiting for my Model Y, or any communication from Tesla when contacted, but I guess that’s par for the course.

Thanks for the info.

I took the auto train in December in ms75 for trip between Boston to Bonita Springs, FL. First leg was about 9 hrs and second 4 hrs. My goal was to reduce driving time and felt the train was safer than potential falling asleep at the wheel. To reduce traffic along the northeast corridor, I elected to start the trip on a Sunday. Using A Better Route Planner, it recommended more frequent, but very short (18 min), recharge / rest periods about every 2-3 hours. I welcomed the breaks!

When boarding the train in Virginia at 2:30pm, there was about 25 mi of range, ample for next SC in Florida. But the next day at 9am, only 14 mi remained with Sentry off. Arriving at nearest SC caused range anxiety as I had only 4 mi remaining. How could I lose 11 mi overnight? I wonder if they leave keys in the vehicle so ms stays on with hvac running, sucking up unnecessary power. What could I do to mitigate that loss?

My second problem was the GPS losing calibration when retrieving vehicle in Sanford, FL. I had to use phone GPS to find SC. It thought the car was in Virginia when it lost satellite signal ,but I was in Florida. Concerned when it didn’t recalibrate in 15 minutes, I phoned Tesla service who said give it up to 30 min to find the satellites. They were correct. Clearly, the steel rail car blocks GPS satellite connection.

Make sure you bring food because the train menu is horrible.

Hey all and @JPoldo, I'm going to be taking the family and Y on the Auotrain from VA to FL this month too. How do you handle the hand-off to valet? I assume you put the car in valet mode, but do you leave a key in the car? Haven't used valet mode yet, so not sure what to expect or how exactly I should hand off the car for loading onto the train.

Thanks!

Hey all and @JPoldo, I'm going to be taking the family and Y on the Auotrain from VA to FL this month too. How do you handle the hand-off to valet? I assume you put the car in valet mode, but do you leave a key in the car? Haven't used valet mode yet, so not sure what to expect or how exactly I should hand off the car for loading onto the train.

Thanks!
I didn’t put the car in valet mode and simply handed fob to driver. How did you make out on the auto-train? Any issues?

Oh hadn't logged in for a while, just saw this. There were no problems, the valets know how to deal with Tesla. I did put in Valet mode and had to leave the key card in the car, but they knew what to do. No problems getting off either.

Auto-train is something that has existed for a long time.

Moderator note: Link spam from quoted post deleted.

This thread is about a daily train service that transports passengers along with their vehicles up/down the US southeast coast, between the Washington DC area and outside Orlando, FL. It's not about automatic trains. See: Auto Train - Wikipedia

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Rocky_H and kayak1