Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto trunk/frunk kits & random wakeups to charge 12v?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
Hi

I have a Tesla Offer frunk and trunk kit fitted to my 2020 M3P, the latter fitted by the excellent @Mr H.

The frunk kit connects directly to the 12v battery at the front, the trunk kit is (currently) connected to the 12v near the penthouse under the rear seats. I've been told by TeslaOffer that this is the wrong place to connect it, because it's not a constant 12v source. As a consequence, occasionally when I wake my car up and my phone/keyfob is close enough, the boot will open. That's by the by though - I don't think it is related to this "problem", as such, I am just mentioning it for completeness. I will rewire it to the front of the car once I build up enough courage to do it :)

Since fitting these kits I have noticed via TeslaMate that my car will wake every week or so, at least, and stay awake ("falling asleep") for 2 hours or so. From what I've been able to tell from searching around the car will recharge the 12v battery when it detects it is too low. I can only presume this is what is happening? Prior to fitting the kits my car would - if left alone - sleep pretty much indefinitely, for several days at a time (I don't drive it much curently).

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this behaviour with their auto trunk/frunk kits, either Hansshow, Tesla Offer or whatever. I presume the OEM Tesla powered boot doesn't draw standby power?

I have the Tesla Offer frunk kit on our 2021 M3. I’ve not noticed anything obvious in relation to waking up regularly, however we do use the car most days. The car appears to sleep soundly the rest of the time. Not left it for a week +, though.

Reactions: Durzel
EVOffer claim the control boxes sleep when the car does, and use 0.08 amps when sleeping.

I have no practical way of verifying this, but I do know my car wakes up to top up the 12v battery every 24 hours (previously 48 hours, and before that several days between topups). I don’t drive my car much though, maybe once or twice a month.

The kits definitely draw some power, but 1/2 amp would drain the 12v in no time.

Since fitting these kits I have noticed via TeslaMate that my car will wake every week or so, at least, and stay awake ("falling asleep") for 2 hours or so. From what I've been able to tell from searching around the car will recharge the 12v battery when it detects it is too low. I can only presume this is what is happening? Prior to fitting the kits my car would - if left alone - sleep pretty much indefinitely, for several days at a time (I don't drive it much curently).
The car will normally wake up once a day just to talk to the mothership, not necessarily to charge the 12v battery, but in that case it isn’t normally awake for more than an hour.

The colder weather may also be playing a factor as the 12v battery’s charge won’t hold as long.

But it does sound like these kits are drawing far too much power when in standby. To confirm you may need to measure the current with a meter.