Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto trunk/frunk kits & random wakeups to charge 12v?

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
Hi

I have a Tesla Offer frunk and trunk kit fitted to my 2020 M3P, the latter fitted by the excellent @Mr H.

The frunk kit connects directly to the 12v battery at the front, the trunk kit is (currently) connected to the 12v near the penthouse under the rear seats. I've been told by TeslaOffer that this is the wrong place to connect it, because it's not a constant 12v source. As a consequence, occasionally when I wake my car up and my phone/keyfob is close enough, the boot will open. That's by the by though - I don't think it is related to this "problem", as such, I am just mentioning it for completeness. I will rewire it to the front of the car once I build up enough courage to do it :)

Since fitting these kits I have noticed via TeslaMate that my car will wake every week or so, at least, and stay awake ("falling asleep") for 2 hours or so. From what I've been able to tell from searching around the car will recharge the 12v battery when it detects it is too low. I can only presume this is what is happening? Prior to fitting the kits my car would - if left alone - sleep pretty much indefinitely, for several days at a time (I don't drive it much curently).

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this behaviour with their auto trunk/frunk kits, either Hansshow, Tesla Offer or whatever. I presume the OEM Tesla powered boot doesn't draw standby power?

Cardo

Sep 22, 2020
Surrey, UK
I have the Tesla Offer frunk kit on our 2021 M3. I’ve not noticed anything obvious in relation to waking up regularly, however we do use the car most days. The car appears to sleep soundly the rest of the time. Not left it for a week +, though.

Reactions: Durzel

Durzel

Jul 17, 2019
Bath, UK
I guess it's probably a factor of me not using the car much. It would be unusual for me to drive it more than once a week at the moment.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC