Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-unlock no longer working...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I have auto-present off since I got the X. And I can't seem to get auto-unlock to function. I had an earlier 7.1 version at first. Them upgraded to 2.17.95. Still have the same issue.

For me it's a slightly bigger issue because we don't have an HPWC. We have a Juicebox (J1772) we use with adapter. So I can't take the plug out unless the car is unlocked.

Some of you are saying you can press the fob to unlock. I can't get that to work either. I have to physically open a door for it to unlock and release. An annoyance, but hopefully solved in next update.

The more I think about it, I don't really want the car to unlock and wake-up everytime I am near the car. Better to just tap the unlock on your key if you are actually planning on unlocking the car to get in. So maybe this is an improvement?
That's one reason I have switched off auto presenting door. The door goes nuts when I am in the garage working on other stuff or just getting stuff from the car. I would like the car to unlock though when I am next to the drivers' door.

When I upgraded to 2.17.95 my auto unlock via proximity stopped working, along with my auto presenting door. I must use FOB to open. Still working with TM to figure out what's happening. I was told there have been no other reports of this issue.

The auto unlock also stopped working for me a couple of weeks ago. I have the auto-present doors turned off, so perhaps the two are tied together now? If so, a poor UI choice IMO--I liked having the doors unlock when walking up to the car. Now I have to press the door "handle" twice - once to wake up the car and a second time to open the door.

The auto unlock also stopped working for me a couple of weeks ago. I have the auto-present doors turned off, so perhaps the two are tied together now? If so, a poor UI choice IMO--I liked having the doors unlock when walking up to the car. Now I have to press the door "handle" twice - once to wake up the car and a second time to open the door.

I started having the same issue including charge cable removal with a recent update. My X is at the Service Center for rear seat replacement and they are going to update our fobs while they have it. I'll post if that changes anything.

The auto unlock also stopped working for me a couple of weeks ago. I have the auto-present doors turned off, so perhaps the two are tied together now?
I started having the same issue including charge cable removal with a recent update.
Note that every time you reboot the main touchscreen, the lock icon in the upper left defaults to "lock" (closed padlock). This disables a bunch of functions, such as auto unlock, being able to open FWD/trunk/frunk after parking, etc. If your car just installed a firmware update, then the reboot most likely enabled that lock. Press the icon to unlock, and all the other functions should come back.

However, auto unlock doesn't seem to work anymore unless you have auto-present doors enabled. And when that's disabled, you also can't auto-unlock your charge cable, even after opening the driver door. However, your driver door should only require one press of the handle, not two.

My wife and I also noticed that approaching the car when we both have our keyfobs on us also seems to frequently not only stop the car from auto unlocking and auto presenting the driver door, but it also prevents the car from unlocking at all without a double click on one of the keyfobs!

Seems some refinement is still required...

I was told by my SC that, for whatever reason, 2.17.95 managed to mess up the security code with the FOBs for SOME cars, so the car does not think the key is legit and won't open via proximity or auto present. Same issue is causing car not to recognize key and give the "key not in car" warning.

I said that's really odd considering it will still unlock the car with button presses and the car will acknowledge the key to let car turn on and go. They said it is odd, but the security for proximity is different than starting car, etc.

So - I have to make an appointment to bring both FOBs to SC and have them re-paired or whatever the right term is. Hopefully, that does the trick. SC has been very helpful and responsive.

We took delivery of our new X last Friday. I played with the auto-presenting door a bit at delivery, but left it off. I'm in and out of my garage and working around my cars a lot. That feature seemed to work fine, I'd probably leave it if I would only walk up to the car or near the car if I were going to drive it. I don't need the door opening just because I have the key in my pocket. I didn't think the other aspect was a problem, the way mine operates seems to be normal. I get within range of the car -- I can be about 10-12 feet away from the car and someone else can push a door handle and and it will operate fine. So I guess I'm not sure if I should expect anything different. I would imagine the only thing that you guys are looking for different is that the mirrors fold out and spoiler comes up automatically when we approach the car? That happens if I operate the fob from a bit further out to unlock or as soon as someone opens a door if a key is within range. Or the auto-presenting door is on and opens.

So I would say the way mine operates is normal. I walk away, it locks and folds in the mirrors and spoiler. I walk up to it and I push a door handle, door opens mirrors and spoiler fold out. I don't need or want mirrors or spoiler presenting themselves until a door opens. Especially if I'm in a setting where I might be drifting in and out of "unlock" range with my key in my pocket. I've watched a few people do that dance with their Model S and its door handles popping in and out.

You could leave your fob on the rear bumper until you are ready to drive or get in. The only time I have my fob with me with no intention to drive the car is when I am washing it. Then I just place it about 20 feet away on a bench and all is good.

I'm still amazed at how many people on these forums walk around with their car key in their pocket while the car is in their garage yet have no intention of driving their car. This is not a behavior I've ever done with any previous cars I've owned.

I suppose it depends on your garage, what all you use your garage for and how often you may drive. My garage holds several cars and other toys and is also a workshop with a couple CNCs, computers, a 3D printer, workbench and other large work tables. It's not just a 2 or 4 car garage on the front of my house. It's not uncommon for me to put a key in my pocket because I do intend to drive at some point in time and I don't like setting the keys down amongst other tools or things I might be working on. I'm in and out a lot on a daily basis.. I may be working on something in the garage with every intent of driving my X as soon as I finish whatever I'm tinkering on. I might walk by the car a few times before I do so.

Also have my X parked in a quirky spot right now due to the location of my 50 amp plug -- which was originally installed to run a small welder. My electrician is hopefully coming to run a new 100A circuit and install my HPWC by the end of this week. Then I can park in a better spot. That will eliminate a lot of this walking by the car nonsense. Or at least reduce it quite a bit.

Having a car key in my pocket is pretty much a habit I've had for years. If I tried to change that up or set the key on the bumper or somewhere else, I'd probably forget or lose it.