TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Auto up, Auto Down windows?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ElSupreme, Jun 7, 2012.

1. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Ok I can't imagine that the Model S doesn't have auto down on all 4 windows.

But what about auto up? I have auto up on all 4 of my VW windows, but don't think any other manufacturer does that.

Does the Model S have auto up? Only on the driver's window? Only on front windows? or On all four windows?

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

IIRC it did have auto on the rear windows on the VIN #29 Beta I saw last week. (90% certain)

3. AndyM

AndyM Member

Yes, but for which windows is not clear.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/specs

4. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

BMW does auto up/down on all 4 windows. I was told at Fashion Island event that all 4 windows are auto down, NOT auto up.

5. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

It's possible, however, that since they source the motors/controls from M-B that all 4 windows are up/down with anti-pinch.

6. tomanik

tomanik Member

Our 2011 Lexus also has all 4 windows up and down so Toyota could also be a source as well.

7. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

I guess it's clear to me: They use the plural, "windows", so to me that's at least two windows :wink:

8. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Since the back windows on Model S don't go all the way down, maybe it doesn't make sense to have auto-down on them?

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

My Infiniti has auto up and down on all four windows.

My Infiniti's back windows don't go all the way down either, yet they have auto.

10. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

That's one of my favourite things about my BMW, the back windows go all the way down... Why do other cars not do this?

11. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I used to think it was child safety, then some tech told me it's because of the shape of the doors and/or crash rating stuff. Who knows.

12. 85n280

85n280 Member

For our family's BMW, we were told by the dealer that the back windows come down all the way because the dealer disabled the factory default child safety. The same thing for "daytime running lights" which is apparently a suggested factory default, once again shut off by the dealer...?

13. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

So are the windows auto up & down, or not? I've searched & can't find this addressed anywhere... Thanks!

14. bancroftc

bancroftc Member

Yes. Auto down and up! For the front windows at least, which I just rolled up and down a little while ago. Not sure about auto on back windows but will try later today.

15. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

All 4 are.

16. muleferg

muleferg Member

Confirm up and down and don't go all the way. Look like a kid could climb thru this.

IMG_3276.JPG

17. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

I think BS reasons often surface for things as extra selling points. Turning a negative into a positive sort of thing.

I don't think rear windows not going down all the way has EVER been about child safety. It has always been about how far down the window could go given the design of the door and window.

Same thing for cleanliness of air hand driers in bathrooms. It's not about the cleanliness (in fact there is a Mythbusters where they give reasonable evidence that hand towels spread less germs). It's not about saving the trees either. Most of the time, it's just about not having to deal with constantly stocking hand towels and emptying the hand towel garbage.

In another case, I've seen claims that flushless urinals are about environmental protection and saving clean water. No they are not. They are about not having to have as much plumbing and not having to pay for the water use.

18. SherSlick

SherSlick Member

FWIW there was a time in the 90's when it was (supposedly) a safety thing. Case in point: a couple of my buddies had similar 98 and 99 Chevy Cavaliers. While fixing a door handle on one of them we found the factory-installed bump stops. Two bolts later and the window now rolls down "all the way." Now if the window opens to where there is ~10% or less still exposed this is likely due to the shape of the door.

As for the Model S, each window control has two detent positions for up and down, the first detent is the momentary control and the second detent is the "express" "auto" mode that will continue the window to fully up or fully down position. If the window encounters too much resistance going up it will stop and back down a bit.

TL;DR: All four windows on the Model S are Auto up and down. Some exposed glass is most likely due to door design, some were factory limited for "safety"

19. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Can confirm, all auto up and down. It was my 3rd highest reason for purchasing the car.

20. Chasedrgc1223

Chasedrgc1223 Nearly Insane

I'm pretty sure it's not a child protective thing, but rather the window is larger than the door housing so it can't go all the way down.