Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto-updated firmaware without confirmation - confirmed!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure if it's ever been 100%, undeniably confirmed that Tesla applies updates without the user's OK, at least for older AP1 cars. I just had it happen on my 2015 MS. I has been on 2019.32.12.3 since 10/24/2019. I just happened to verify that version the last time I was in the car (weeks ago, not 2019). I made a note of it. I had a newer version downloaded, but had not applied it. I most definitely did not accept the update. My router had died and I haven't connected the car to the new one, so no WiFi. We had electrical storms a few weeks ago and I unplugged the car, forgot about that, and nobody has touched it since. It was as idle and disconnected as could be, other than LTE.
When I got in today, I see not the yellow alarm clock update icon, but a yellow download arrow instead. The staged version had been applied. It was telling me a new version was available and to connect to WiFi. The gear selection icons (RDNP) were still where I was used to seeing them and the font sizes weren't all wack and the numbers weren't all smooshed into the top of the IC (yay!), so it's not a very recent version.

Maybe old news, but this time there's not a shadow of a doubt that it happened.

The car might have alerted you that another, more recent update was available to download without necessarily applying the previously downloaded update. I have a hard time believing that the car would auto-update because you lose the ability to use the car for 30-45 minutes. That's a high risk to take. Much much better to let the user choose the moment.

Reactions: brkaus
The update was applied. I recognize changes (all good ones IMO). I am currently on 2020.12.11.5 now. It's telling me 2020.48.37.2 is available.
It's alerted me to updates for years. I'm in the habit of dismissing updates since way back when AP1 was in flux and we would get regressions sometimes. I don't even notice it anymore, and I tap outside of the popup to dismiss it, so there's no way I agreed by accident.
The only unusual thing is that the car was unplugged and untouched for weeks. Perhaps a total deep sleep and/or length of inactivity can trigger an automatic update.

I’m betting you dismissed the installation dialog in a way that scheduled the update for later. Nothing you’ve said proves that you didn’t unknowingly approve the installation, and for reasons already stated above, it would be really bad if Tesla installed an update without confirmation, and if that had happened to others, we would have heard about it.

I’m betting you dismissed the installation dialog in a way that scheduled the update for later. Nothing you’ve said proves that you didn’t unknowingly approve the installation, and for reasons already stated above, it would be really bad if Tesla installed an update without confirmation, and if that had happened to others, we would have heard about it.
No, I really don't think so. I avoid updates. I always make sure to touch the bottom of the screen, not popup window, to dismiss the update screen. There's muscle memory, even: sit, buckle, tap bottom of screen, drive. Plus I remember checking the version and specifically verifying that there was no update scheduled and thinking "OK, I don't have to drive around at update time to prevent it." I'm not "two launch keys and a sealed envelope" sure, but nearly.
There have been other reports on here of people saying they got a forced update. I think there was even one that interfered with a medical situation, though my memory may be imperfect on that. In all those, there was some doubt if the user scheduled it. I personally have no doubt in my case, but I 100% understand why anyone else on here would doubt me.

Just out of curiosity ... do you still have MCU1 or potentially have updated to MCU2?

Reason I ask is I believe there were some software changes for MCU1 functionality were potentially driven by the NHTSA recall decision around eMMC failures. I believe some of this may had addressed some of the issues with things like turn signals not functioning in all cases when the eMMC failed. It is possible that as a part of Tesla's agreement with NHTSA that there was a requirement that Tesla confirm percentage of vehicles where required campaign actions have been completed, sometimes with increased level of 'influence' applied by NHTSA. If this update was viewed as a 'safety critical' update as part of that decision, then that might explain why at some point Tesla forced it occur at a time deemed appropriate by whatever metrics they use to judge a car is inactive.

Just one possibility.

Reactions: gearchruncher
Just out of curiosity ... do you still have MCU1 or potentially have updated to MCU2?

Reason I ask is I believe there were some software changes for MCU1 functionality were potentially driven by the NHTSA recall decision around eMMC failures. I believe some of this may had addressed some of the issues with things like turn signals not functioning in all cases when the eMMC failed. It is possible that as a part of Tesla's agreement with NHTSA that there was a requirement that Tesla confirm percentage of vehicles where required campaign actions have been completed, sometimes with increased level of 'influence' applied by NHTSA. If this update was viewed as a 'safety critical' update as part of that decision, then that might explain why at some point Tesla forced it occur at a time deemed appropriate by whatever metrics they use to judge a car is inactive.

Just one possibility.
I have MCU1. It was replaced 10/24/2019 and I had not updated since. FWIW, my wife drove behind me on the way to the service center to get it replaced since the center console was 100% dead, the IC was acting funny, and I wasn't sure how reliable the car was. She asked if I just wasn't using turn signals, or if they were not working. I was using signals. The IC showed the blinking arrows but no sound. Apparently the signals were not actually working.

It's telling me 2020.48.37.2 is available.
Fyi, my March 2015 S85D (MCU1, AP1) is running that version, and it doesn’t say anything newer is available. It does not have the stupid UI changes you were concerned about. The graphics did change a bit. The ‘D’ in PRND changes to blue when AP is active. The font used for the speed changed. The overall size is the same, but the width of the strokes is thinner. I find it easier to read. But I don’t have the crazy crap that got rolled out to some folks with tiny grey numbers on a grey background.

• Helpful
Reactions: kavyboy