Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Volume Adjustment is Terrible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is actually non existent. I did some measurements with 2 different SPMs and White Noise almost a year ago going 80MPH and coming to a stop and the sound level stayed the same. Seems Tesla used to have Speed Sensitive Volume Control but got rid of it a year or so ago for some unknown reason. I had it on a few cars before my Model 3 and RELLY miss it. Hate having to adjust the volume every time I slow down or speed up.

IMG_0827.png
IMG_0828.png

• Informative
Reactions: badiban and Phlier
There isn't any auto volume adjustment. Supposedly when I got the car, back in 2018, there was a version of this in the software, although there were no user settings for it, it was just on all the time. I never noticed it working or not working. And also supposedly a few months later it was removed. These are just things I read about here and elsewhere - I never noticed any evidence that it was ever working and then not, and I'm pretty sensitive to these kind of things.

I've never owned a car that requires such constant adjustment of the audio volume. Speed increases, have to raise the volume.... slow down, have to lower it. Also, when navigation voice is speaking, radio doesn't lower. Same when speaking a text message. Is this just my car? Don't understand why this can't be fixed.

Is there auto volume adjustment in the car? I didn't know it had it. It can't be terrible if it doesn't even exist. My Subaru had it and it helps a little. I just use the wheel when I need to change the volume.

Standard procedure for me:

Slow down to make turn.
Start to turn down audio, but NAV kicks in and I lower NAV instead. Now I can't hear it.
Start to turn up NAV again, but it's done, so I end up increasing music volume to way too loud.
Decrease music back to where it was after I make my turn.
Now NAV is at the lowest volume.
Repeat.
Literally laughed out loud at that one, as I can relate to it all too well. My wife laughs at me for doing this constantly. Then I get her back when I laugh at her when she's driving and does it, too. Pro Tip: Don't laugh at your wife when she's driving.Or...ever.

All this tech and don’t understand why they can’t
Standard procedure for me:

Slow down to make turn.
Start to turn down audio, but NAV kicks in and I lower NAV instead. Now I can't hear it.
Start to turn up NAV again, but it's done, so I end up increasing music volume to way too loud.
Decrease music back to where it was after I make my turn.
Now NAV is at the lowest volume.
Repeat.

Nailed it!

Reactions: Mr. Michael
Nav volume(not reducing the entertainment volume) and lack of rear collision warning are my top 2 disappointments. Shortly after picking up M3 I almost backed into a car crossing behind In a parking lot and couldn’t figure out why there was no warning. You know what they say about assuming. My 2012 Ford had it, so I just expected it to be there. To me it’s like buying a new phone and finding out there is no texting capability. Every other car I’ve owned over the last 8 years have had these features.

Reactions: AC2DC and nealh
Nav volume(not reducing the entertainment volume) and lack of rear collision warning are my top 2 disappointments. Shortly after picking up M3 I almost backed into a car crossing behind In a parking lot and couldn’t figure out why there was no warning. You know what they say about assuming. My 2012 Ford had it, so I just expected it to be there. To me it’s like buying a new phone and finding out there is no texting capability. Every other car I’ve owned over the last 8 years have had these features.

My Bolt EV had cross traffic alert and it was such a life saver. Not very effective on my BMWs but on GM products it's amazing.

Reactions: tilt
There isn't any auto volume adjustment. Supposedly when I got the car, back in 2018, there was a version of this in the software, although there were no user settings for it, it was just on all the time. I never noticed it working or not working. And also supposedly a few months later it was removed. These are just things I read about here and elsewhere - I never noticed any evidence that it was ever working and then not, and I'm pretty sensitive to these kind of things.

It is there, they just made it always on. In fact there are people that want to turn it off: Speed Sensitive Volume Control - Disable?

Reactions: sduck
It is there, they just made it always on. In fact there are people that want to turn it off: Speed Sensitive Volume Control - Disable?
Really? How do you know, or how can you tell? There's no audible evidence of it working that i can discern if it's there. That's a model Y thread BTW, although I'm sure you know that. I mean, I'd love to think that it's there, but can't find any evidence that it actually is.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmatero
this may be something different, but has anyone else had issues with the volume muting when you first get into the car (or muting multiple times when you first get in)?

occasionally i'll sit down in the car, only to find out the audio is on mute. i scroll the volume wheel, sound comes on...then a few seconds later, it mutes again. lather, rinse, repeat. no rhyme or reason as to when it happens or how many times it mutes when it does happen before staying on.

eventually it stays on, and it doesn't happen often, but super annoying when it does...

There is NO Speed Sensitive Volume control anymore. I have made several objective measurements (see post 5) using White Noise and 2 different SPMs. There is no difference in the level at any speed from full stop to 80MPH.

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt and kavyboy