Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Volume Adjustment is Terrible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this may be something different, but has anyone else had issues with the volume muting when you first get into the car (or muting multiple times when you first get in)?

occasionally i'll sit down in the car, only to find out the audio is on mute. i scroll the volume wheel, sound comes on...then a few seconds later, it mutes again. lather, rinse, repeat. no rhyme or reason as to when it happens or how many times it mutes when it does happen before staying on.

eventually it stays on, and it doesn't happen often, but super annoying when it does...

Is it muting or just pausing a streaming channel. If the latter, Yes I get that too.

Is it muting or just pausing a streaming channel. If the latter, Yes I get that too.

in my case, it's muting. i always have FM on because i use my portable XM with FM transmitter pretty much exclusively (or at the very least much more often than i use streaming)...so there's nothing to pause. it's just muting the radio until i scroll the volume wheel to bring sound back (and then repeat some number of times before finally staying on).

You can't back into tiered parking spots. Also, backing into a spot leaves no access to the trunk/hatch. Is that a law unique to NC?

Not sure what "law" you're talking about- I didn't say anything about laws.

I'm pointing out the car when it parks itself in perpendicular spots it does so by backing in- as should humans parking in such spots it because it's objectively safer to pull out forward when leaving the spot.

Also not sure what you mean by "tiered" parking spots... if you mean angled ones- backing into them isn't needed because unlike perpendicular spots you aren't backing out blind at a 90 degree angle without extra hardware on the car into 2-way cross traffic- you're backing out at a much lesser angle where the angle itself and the rear camera gives you easy visibility, into single-direction traffic.

Dunno what you mean by not having access to the trunk either unless you're backing up to within like an inch of whatever is behind you...otherwise plenty of room to get back there and open the trunk if needed.... though this will be even LESS of an issue as enhanced summon evolves- since the car will back itself into spots (as it already does) and then when you're done at the store and have stuff to load, it'll just pull up to the curb for you to load.

Not sure what "law" you're talking about- I didn't say anything about laws.

I'm pointing out the car when it parks itself in perpendicular spots it does so by backing in- as should humans parking in such spots it because it's objectively safer to pull out forward when leaving the spot.....
Never understood the back in parking. It is SOOOOO much easer, less time consuming, and less obstructive to other driver's to pull in forward. However in Georgia we don't have a front plate (think goodness) so there are lots of parking that forbid back in parking since the plate is not viewable.

EDIT: Just to add I live in Atlantic Station and we have a Tesla Supercharger in the parking deck. It is a 10 stall and 4 are regular back in. However 6 that face away from the inside are front pull in. Here is an older pic with my previous ELR in it showing the pull in stalls. The back in stall are to the left and at an angle.
Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 5.08.58 PM.png

IMG_4243.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: SSonnentag
Never understood the back in parking.

It's objectively much safer.

What's not to understand?

USA Fire Protection Blog.

Mentions NHTSA estimates that 267 people are killed and 15,000 injured, each year by not backing into spots and instead pulling forward into them.

See also

It’s much safer to back into parking spaces. Why don’t we do it?

Which cites 300 dead and 18000 injured from same

Why reverse parking is safer | Geotab

And this is even newer data still (2020) citing 500 dead and 60,000 injured

I’d concur with backing into a spot being MUCH SAFER. I’ve driven an ambulance and a big truck for over 20 years. I always back in.

That being said, I still get a number of idiots that pull right up onto my bumper as i prepare to back in, or the fool that can’t figure out what I’m attempting to do as i prepare to back in, and they walk right behind my car, truck etc. fire department, right seat guy hops out to stop that foolishness.

Reactions: Phlier
Backing in is way better, however not always an option. Heck some supercharger stalls in my city require you to pull in, which is annoying. Also some parking garages here have low pipes over the back of stalls and have signs stating backing in is forbidden.

Back to the original topic, I would kill for ADJUSTABLE speed sensitive volume. My 2011 Charger had this, yet the Tesla is somehow lacking it despite being so much more advanced. At this point my volume adjustment scroll wheel is already getting worn out and sloppy at only 30k KMs because of the amount of use it gets.