Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Volume increase with speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new owner, read the manual. But I couldn't find this function. Was i blind?? The change of noise with speed increase is much higher in Tesla than ICE cars since it's so quiet at low speed. I am baffled as to why the MX doesn't have a way to automatically increase the volume of the music as it speeds up. my old cars had it for years. Anybody else feels the need?

or Tesla's answer could be that it isn't necessary as the car is so quiet ....erm
I hope it isn't because the X is not THAT quiet. I had speed sensitive settings on our VW and was able to set the increase (1-5). I think it was a cool feature and it helps as cars do get louder with speed, even if it is only tires and wind noise.

Reactions: Blastphemy
Sure, we can turn the volume up and down manually, just like we can dim our own headlights (or turn them on and off for that matter), turn our windshield wipers on and off ourselves, or steer the dang car for that matter! Yet these awesome machines will do all of that for us, so Yes, I agree, having my Tesla auto adjust volume based on speed would be a very welcome feature. In fact I've thought that numerous times as I'm turning the volume up and down entering and exiting freeways.

"The audio systems for both the Model S and Model X were designed and manufactured by s1nn. Harmon International Group acquired s1nn in early 2015.
It was reported by s1nn that the Tesla system includes Volume Management. This automatically changes the volume and bass level based on the vehicles speed (i.e. noise from outside) and the climate control’s fan setting (inside noise) to maintain clarity as these noise sources get louder or softer. My own analysis with a spectrum analyzer did not see any volume changes at different frequencies with fan speed changes, so s1nn may not have actually included this feature on our cars. This test was done with 7.0 software and a MS with the standard audio package for 800 Hz to 8 KHz."
s1nn. Harmon audio-systems-for-the-tesla-model-S.jpg
Audio Systems for the Tesla Model S and Model X | TeslaTap

Agree that this is how it is, but would like the feature. While folks might like to think that it is quiet at highway speeds in a Tesla, it isn't as much as it should be (IMO). Tesla needs to do some work on noise (wind/road) sound proofing as it is much higher than it should be. At least in my MX.

Reactions: Blastphemy
This would be a nice feature.

In my last car, which had it, I never used it. I found the engine noise was fairly steady and generally louder than the road noise, so the need to adjust volume relative to speed wasn't necessary. But in my X, the only noise is road noise. As speed goes up, so too does the road noise. I am constantly fiddling with the volume, which is a distraction that it would be nice to have removed.

Reactions: yaw20 and jrichey
While we are at it, I'd like to see the option as many home receivers have to enhance the sound a low volume levels. Seems when you have it way down for conversations it is too puny of a sound; all treble and no bass. I think some receivers call it night mode or similar which essentially adds a little low/mid-low to the sound which improves the overall sound. It basically takes the last 2 EQ sliders and bumps up about 6db. Probably never see it, but it would be nice IMO. :cool:

Tesla needs to do some work on noise (wind/road) sound proofing as it is much higher than it should be. At least in my MX.
I felt the same way. I can now say that after three visits to the service center and seals replacement, and window adjustment it is far quieter. Almost as quiet as my Lexus LS, which is really saying something. Come to think of it, the Model X is quieter than the Lexus at low speeds, only gets a bit noisier at 70+.

• Informative
Reactions: jrichey
I felt the same way. I can now say that after three visits to the service center and seals replacement, and window adjustment it is far quieter. Almost as quiet as my Lexus LS, which is really saying something. Come to think of it, the Model X is quieter than the Lexus at low speeds, only gets a bit noisier at 70+.
Oh wow, that is great to hear. Can you tell me more details as to what they did, replaced, etc so I can tell my SC?

This would be a nice feature.

In my last car, which had it, I never used it. I found the engine noise was fairly steady and generally louder than the road noise, so the need to adjust volume relative to speed wasn't necessary. But in my X, the only noise is road noise. As speed goes up, so too does the road noise. I am constantly fiddling with the volume, which is a distraction that it would be nice to have removed.

FULLY agree.