Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I notice you are sitting still. I’ve never found automatic windshield wipers to work well when sitting still. So far I’ve found the auto wipers on the 3 to work a lot better than the ones on my pre autopilot Model S.

Agree!

We have autowipers on both our current cars (2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2014 Mitsubishi PHEV) and both don't work very well when stationary, but are entirely different when moving.

Can't say I agree. On my car (2004 BMW 330 Cd), the automatic wipers work just as good when standing at a traffic light as when driving around.

My memory of my 2000 BMW was that if it was raining and the wipers were going they would continue to work at a stoplight. But if it started raining when you were stopped the wipers wouldn't start going until I started driving (unless it was raining hard).

All that said, the wipers on my Model 3 started wiping this morning when I was sitting at a light and it started raining. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have on my Model S. I was often flipping them on manually.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinPowers
It does not matter if you are moving or stopped for me and two of my church friends who all just got model 3s. The auto wiper is slow to wipe even when the car is moving. I would really like a “sensitivity” selection for the auto wiper setting! I will be turning the sensitivity to 11. The current sensitivity is anywhere from 1 to 10 seconds late. (It would be cool if you could notice when I am manually bumping wiper button and increase the sensitivity based on my inputs. (No new UI required)

Seriously, I feel like the wipers are manual based on my input because I give up and press the wiper button before auto every time.

It does not matter if you are moving or stopped for me and two of my church friends who all just got model 3s. The auto wiper is slow to wipe even when the car is moving. I would really like a “sensitivity” selection for the auto wiper setting! I will be turning the sensitivity to 11. The current sensitivity is anywhere from 1 to 10 seconds late. (It would be cool if you could notice when I am manually bumping wiper button and increase the sensitivity based on my inputs. (No new UI required)

Seriously, I feel like the wipers are manual based on my input because I give up and press the wiper button before auto every time.

Totally agree. We just hit the rainy(er) season in Seattle and I really want the option to adjust the sensitivity up. A lot.

I know, or at least I hope, this will be updated in a future software release:

As you can see, I find I have to turn them to manual.

I completely agree. And I can attest that this is happening for me while also driving. If I think of it, I will try and grab a video just to demonstrate. The sensitivity is really off because sometimes it seems to work really well, and other times I can let it get to the point where visibility is actually impaired. Hope this gets some attention near term.

Just started to use the wipers again the last few weeks and the auto function works very poorly. I don't remember having a problem with it last Spring, so maybe it's a recent software change. It doesn't handle road spray well, and I've been using the turn stalk and messing with the settings on screen, which sucks.

Piling on here too. The auto wipers are not good. I've also noticed that if the auto wipers are going and I come to a stop, then put it in park, the wipers go crazy fast. It's like there is a variable for speed in a denominator somewhere, so divide by 0 = infinity speed!

Since V9 I've found the auto wipers later than my liking during the day. But at night, they're simply unacceptable, or dangerous. I spent 2-3 hours driving at night in the rain this weekend, and even AP freaked out because the auto wipers weren't doing their job.

Reminder to all of us: griping to the choir doesn't get results. Note to self, submit a bug report every time auto wipers are lacking... until they get fixed.