Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Windshield Wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

The past few weeks, my area has been experiencing hard rain. I have noticed many times that the auto windshield wipers do not seem to adjust to the appropriate speeds. They will turn on but be on the slow settings even with hard rain. I thought my car was faulty but I have read that Tesla (MY at least) does not use a dedicated sensor like other vehicles, and many have reported frustrations with the auto windshield wipers. From my research, it is detected by the front cameras (Pretty cool use of them!). Is their any way to at least improve detection or is it better to manually set the speed? Any news on improving this feature?

the ones in my X are useless. Model 3 does better. My 2009 Tahoe auto wipers had all Tesla's beat by a mile. I think my 2013 Model S ones were good, but that used a $2 sensor that Tesla thought skipping was a good idea...

I have the opposite problem. They wipe too fast and stay on wiping a clear window long after the rain has stopped. I often turn them off at that point and use the left stalk button if necessary until that annoys me and I turn them back on. Also find the slowest intermittent is too fast when it's just misty out.

Reactions: RocDeef
I agree. Either it doesn’t turn on even when it’s raining or it will wipe slowly for the amount of rain falling or will suddenly go wild and very fast AFTER the rain has slowed down.

I have given up on Tesla. The only thing going for Tesla is the extended battery life. Otherwise it is way behind regular car manufacturers.

If this continues it will not gain new customers and will start loosing customers (including me) as soon as other manufacturers catch up with battery life.

Several either essential or accepted norm in ICE cars are either not present or poorly executed in Tesla.

Mine seem to work fairly well however they wipe way to fast 90% of the time. They act like it was a major downpour when there is just light rain. They do come on and turn off as they should 90% of the time however they do get rather confused on what to do with snow! Bottom line is the camera programming definitely needs some work as this is what apparently controls the wipers.

Like on all the auto wiper equipped car I have had, there should be a sensitivity adjustment . Could be a simple toggle from low to medium to high. Some people need to have wipers flying like crazy for little rain, others like a swipe once in a while, an adjustment would satisfy mostly everyones preferences.

Last edited:
The circle is the ppf that I pealed back and the tiny brown spot in the middle is where that pipe got beneath to the body of the car. The image attached is what it looks like directly after the incident.

Attachments

• PXL_20210415_021510833.jpg
    PXL_20210415_021510833.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 175
The auto function of the wipers is glitchy for sure. Everybody reports it and after a few weeks of owning a Tesla you'll see it for yourself. I'm not sure there is a fix since they use cameras for detection which sounds cool but is actually not cool.
The best "solution" I've heard is using voice control to turn wipers on or off whenever they are malfunctioning. Or hit the button on the left if you need a quick wipe of the windshield to see while driving in the rain. Beats fumbling around with the touchscreen while driving.

The auto function of the wipers is glitchy for sure. Everybody reports it and after a few weeks of owning a Tesla you'll see it for yourself. I'm not sure there is a fix since they use cameras for detection which sounds cool but is actually not cool.
The best "solution" I've heard is using voice control to turn wipers on or off whenever they are malfunctioning. Or hit the button on the left if you need a quick wipe of the windshield to see while driving in the rain. Beats fumbling around with the touchscreen while driving.
I use the button until it's raining enough to be tedious and then use the voice command. Occasionally use the touch screen. It isn't that bad as there is the quick link at the bottom.

Hello,

The past few weeks, my area has been experiencing hard rain. I have noticed many times that the auto windshield wipers do not seem to adjust to the appropriate speeds. They will turn on but be on the slow settings even with hard rain. I thought my car was faulty but I have read that Tesla (MY at least) does not use a dedicated sensor like other vehicles, and many have reported frustrations with the auto windshield wipers. From my research, it is detected by the front cameras (Pretty cool use of them!). Is their any way to at least improve detection or is it better to manually set the speed? Any news on improving this feature?
Are you aware that your headlights DO NOT automatically turn on when your windshield wipers are on (either manually or with auto setting)? Tesla took this feature OUT OF THE FIRMWARE so you have to manually turn on your lights when your windshield wipers are on to be in compliance with the law in most states. Does anyone know WHY they would take something that is available on most cars away; and when it is such a safety issue?

Are you aware that your headlights DO NOT automatically turn on when your windshield wipers are on (either manually or with auto setting)? Tesla took this feature OUT OF THE FIRMWARE so you have to manually turn on your lights when your windshield wipers are on to be in compliance with the law in most states. Does anyone know WHY they would take something that is available on most cars away; and when it is such a safety issue?
I was not aware of this, I don't think I have owned a single car where the headlight do turn on when using the windshield wipers. Tesla sometimes tries to "innovate" a new perspective but they should stick with what works!

I've owned a lot of cars and have never had one that turns on headlights when the wipers are turned on. Not a bad idea for a feature but I've never seen it so...

Is it true that Rain X is detrimental to the Tesla auto wiper system? I’ve heard it suggested that it might confuse the system since the drops behave differently than on an untreated windshield.

Anyone out there using Rain X that could give some feedback?