Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto windshield wipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
can you be a bit more descriptive?

when i first took delivery, the blades were extremely loud (being dragged across the surface of the windshield, even with rain water on the surface).
Turns out they just needed a bit of wearing in and now they're all good.

Folks, several other threads on this subject.

Net IMHO is Tesla has elected to use a stock Daimler stalk in MS that has only 2 intermittent wiper positions -- VS what other mfgrs (e.g. Lexus) does with a stalk that has an additional physical dial on the wiper stalk. That dial allows user adjustment of the intermittent setting in addition to the logic the mfgr has provided supporting the windshield water sensor and resulting sweep speed.

I don't believe there is an issue with MS sensor location, as other mfgrs place it on the front windshield in a similar place. Perhaps there is some amount of issue with the MS blades not removing water over that sensor as well as it could be in certain wind directions (see other threads where Tesla has acknowledged a wiper blade chatter problem requiring a possible future engineering change -- but that I believe is more for the even longer driver side blade than it is for the passenger side that sweeps the wiper sensor behind the rearview mirror.) Tesla improved logic associated with intermittent wipers in a past firmware drop since I took delivery in October (I forget which one) -- that was highlighted in the release notes at the time. See other threads, but some owners said it was no better or worse, while I personally saw it as a general improvement in the drizzle we have here along the coast from time-to-time. Is it perfect or as good as my former Lexus? No -- because two stalk positions will never provide as many variations to make different owners happy and deal with varying weather as the physical Japanese refinement. ;)

My solution has been to apply Aquapel which is a long-lasting hydrophobic coating every 6 months and to just tap for 1-cycle as needed. Yep I'm on manual but in most rain and driving scenarios the Aquapel works better than wipers. This has also worked to protect the windshield from permanent damage.

Perhaps not worth the bother for some for less rainy areas, but as a bonus it also makes the windshield easier to wash, just like paint coatings.

Reactions: BertL
My solution has been to apply Aquapel which is a long-lasting hydrophobic coating every 6 months and to just tap for 1-cycle as needed. Yep I'm on manual but in most rain and driving scenarios the Aquapel works better than wipers. This has also worked to protect the windshield from permanent damage.

Perhaps not worth the bother for some for less rainy areas, but as a bonus it also makes the windshield easier to wash, just like paint coatings.
Agree. I've done the same for years on all my vehicles.

Reactions: Lex